Sign in to follow this  
Marsha Cassada

Nugget

Oh yuk.  That is NO fun to have to deal with.  Would that be the same thing as strangles?  I can see where it would be hard to keep them quarantined from each other if  everything is a swampy mess.  I would bet DD does have some immunity, being an older horse.  

A few years ago, both my older ponies got snotty noses.  It was in Feb and they hadn't left the property in six months.  Never did figure out what it was.  It ran its course in about 4/5 days.  They never coughed or had a temp, just lots of boogers.  Hopefully Nugget will be the same and will be as good as new in a day or so.

• Like 2

Hopefully it is not distemper/strangles.  He had noticeable respiratory noise yesterday but the nose was not as bad.  Does not seem feverish at all.  I went ahead and put them back together as he seemed stressed to be isolated and I figured dapper dan had already been exposed anyway.

More rain today and more due this weekend.  Easy to see how this soggy weather can be a health problem.  He is due for his next parasite paste, but I will hold off for a while.

Not to startle you, but distemper and strangles are pretty much the same thing, or so I was told years ago.  If it is Strangles it's very manageable and cureable, just disgusting.

17 hours ago, chandab said:

Not to startle you, but distemper and strangles are pretty much the same thing, or so I was told years ago.  If it is Strangles it's very manageable and cureable, just disgusting.

Yes, I heard they were the same thing.  But the vet said there are over 100 strains of distemper; maybe strangles is one kind.  He has never become lethargic and his nose seems better.  So far no swelling underneath, though I've heard that comes toward the end of the cycle.  My sister brought a miniature home from the same sale and she had to go on antibiotic as she was running a fever.  Horses not connected at all, just the same sale.  Her horse was kind of run down, though, and Nugget was not.

We are doing a little ground work while I wait for the dentist.  Just basic stuff, like turning, backing, whoa, and stand.  It's too soppy here to do much, though I've taken them out on the paved road a few times, just so their feet can feel some dry land!

• Like 1

Hopefully Nugget will get over it on his own accord. We've had a few get snotty and "rattle" sounding. Ours is usually when the pasture is gone and we start them on hay. Our vet suggested that it's the dust from the dry hay irritating them while they get used to it. When they are grazing on the grass it's not a problem. One he gave an allergy shot and that cleared her right up and the other was fine after a week or so. Sounds like there are several things that can cause snotty nose and you are keeping a close eye on him. You never know quite what you are getting at a sale. Was he local or did he come from a ways away? Whenever I've moved to a new area to live it seems like a few weeks to a month after I move I get sick. I always figured it was my body adjusting to a new place with new germs. Wonder if it's the same for horses??? Anyway, sounds like your on top of it so whatever it is you guys will work through it :)

How is he doing today?

Nose discharge pretty much gone.  Both still have runny eyes; that seems to be chronic for Dapper Dan the last few years.  Must be something in the pasture.  They are both better if I keep the good fly masks on them.  Nugget is now the boss.  I heard it is common for older horses to be usurped by younger ones.  He seems fine with it, so I need to quit getting emotional about it.  Have not had a chance to do much training with Nugget because of weather and working at my mom's house (garage sale this weekend and then hopefully it will almost be over).  Usually October is a gorgeous month, weather-wise, and I had been looking forward to opportunities to work with him. I don't need my rubber boots in the pasture now, but it's still soggy everywhere.  I just need to be patient.  Meanwhile we are working on ground manners a little.  He is very smart.

• Like 1

Glad he is feeling better.  Don't worry about the pecking order too much, I bet they will sort themselves out to a place where they are both content.  But it is difficult to watch when the fur might be flyin' and to be honest, I don't listen to my own advice and I keep my two "faux stallions" separate, lol.