Zimectrin Gold no more for me

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marty

Reaction score
I don't usually play into isolated cases or listen to rumors, but lately I've heard enough about negative reactions from Zimectrin Gold to remove it from my de-worming program. In the past week, I have heard two more very negative things about the product in regards to blistered mouths and swelled up tongues, and combined with a google search of more adverse reactions, I'm paranoid of it now.

Mind you, I have used this product with no problems for years, and I have even overdosed a baby with it when the thingy slipped without a problem, but I think this could be getting too close to my comfort zone.

Anyone have any problems with it?

They have a prcecautionary warning on the front page of their website.

IMPORTANT SAFETY INFORMATION: Not for use in humans. Keep this and all drugs out of reach of children. In horses there have been rare reports of swelling and irritation of the mouth, lips and tongue following administration of ZIMECTERIN Gold. These reactions have been transitory in nature. Do not use in other animal species as severe adverse reactions, including fatalities in dogs, may result.

http://www.zimecterin.com/ZimecterinGold/index.html?=50

I haven't personally, but have always stayed away from it too. I do know that this spring a lady that was a friend of one of my friends, wormed about 10 big horses with it, and 8 had blisters and swelled up lips and tounges so bad it wasn't even funny. She even posted pictures. A few couldn't even eat or drink for a couple of days becuase of it.

Have never used it- we dont have the tapeworm problems here- so we just use regular ivermectin.

Actually a couple of days ago I saw on FB a lady who shows used it on her horses and 9 out of 14 blistered in the mouths and she posted pics also.

Also a forum member and friend has a deathy ill horse who lost a tremendous amount of weight directly after have used it last week. After being in the hospital and running multiple tests the vet came up empty and suggested it could have been the wormer, but he wasn't positive.

In these cases, had it ever been used on those particular horses before? I have used it several times, with no problem...likely will again. I have heard of no cases around here at all. I wonder...could it be related to something the horses ate at the same time as the worming, that would make it react? Hmmm...

In these cases, had it ever been used on those particular horses before? I have used it several times, with no problem...likely will again. I have heard of no cases around here at all. I wonder...could it be related to something the horses ate at the same time as the worming, that would make it react? Hmmm...
That's what I'd like to know too. Is this something that just developed or was is a first time for these horses? I know like with people you can grow into reactions. I used to never have a problem with certain soaps, now I'm very specific about which ones I'll buy. Is this the case? or was it something this horse would have reacted to the first time?

I've been giving it for years, never to the minis because I've just not had them that long but it's on my rotation.

Actually, tapeworms are usually more prevalent in the southern warmer states including AZ. My vet near Tucson gave me a long lecture on parasites and vector carriers there since I had moved from a high elevation and had to relearn worming and vaccinations in AZ.

http://myhorse.com/b...orming-program/

Tapeworms are responsible for approximately 22% of all the colic cases in horses. They are in every environment. I was told when I moved here (and people actually believed) that this area has no fleas because it is too dry. If you believe that, I can give you a tour of the Mother Ship orbiting our planet.

Marty, I used to use Zimecterin Gold also without reaction problems. But when I kept reading more and more about the reactions more horse owners were having since it was first noticed I switched to Equimax. Same thing except (if I remember correctly) the percentage of the Praziquantel is different between the two products and they thought that might be part of the problem. I can't find the last study they did on this to figure out why some horses end up showing toxic related reactions to Zimecterin Gold.

Last edited by a moderator:
In the case I saw, I don't know if they'd used it before or not. She just said that her horses swelled up horrible from it, and a few were at the vets getting IV fluids becuase they coudln't eat or drink. I don't think I want to try it and find out though either. LOL

I used to use it without any problems, that is until I gave it to one two yr. old filly and her mouth swelled and she stopped eating. It is just my opinion that it is only certain horses that have a bad reaction, as this filly is also allergic to knats. and also will rub her hair off on her head from fly bites. Also with tapes can't you worm with regular ivermectin every two weeks? Just something someone else told me.

Reading the ingredient labels, I chose Equimax over Zimecterin Gold, so have no experience w/ the Z'mec Gold.Based on anecdotal evidence, does sound like maybe a bad batch?

Because of my care situation/physical location, I deworm VERY infrequently. Also, there is increasing evidence of worms becoming ever more resistant to various dewormers: I would not want to use ANY of them, even ivermectin, routinely every two weeks, unless vet-instructed to for a specific reason.

Margo

I use Eqvalan Gold (same thing, I think) twice a year...and haven't had any problems (touch wood). I've been using it for 4 years.

I have used it for years as part of a rotational program without any problems, but I heard about this problem last year as well and have switched to Equimax as a precaution. Figure if there is a product that does the same thing without any reported cases of problems why not switch?

I've only used it once when I suspected tapes in one new horse, but I do remember, years and years ago, when I bought a mini, the seller was giving me advice on a lots of things and she said to stay away from it. So I always did until I had this once case.

I finally found the news piece I was sent and it explains a little of what Merial originally thought might be causing the problems in what owners and vets say were chemical burns, not allergic reactions to Zimecterin Gold. This started at least around 2008 when I first heard of problems and that was when I switched to Equimax which is the same except with a different carrier, so I was mistaken.

http://utahbackcountryhorsemen.myfastforum.org/archive/good-to-know-zimmectrin-gold__o_t__t_23.html

I use Equimax without issues in all ages of horses. Since I have seen firsthand what tapeworms can do to horses, I would never NOT deworm with an ivermectin/praziquantel wormer at least once or twice a year. 90% of all intussusception colics are caused by tapeworms and they are deadly. That type of colic cannot be resolved without surgery and the prognosis isn't always good. Equimax or Zimectrin Gold is cheap insurance against tapeworms.

Back