Zilco VS Other Bio thane synthetic Harnesses

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wrenhart

Reaction score
I am looking into Zilco and other synthetic man made harnesses for pleasure/maybe show driving and I like the look and ease of care etc. just want to get other experienced opinions and info...Thanks Renee

Renee- I LOVE my betathane (matte synthetic) harness from Iowa Valley Carriage http://www.iowavalleycarriage.com/harness___collars.php The materials and workmanship are very nice, and the fit is great. Sandee is very nice to work with and very helpful. I use this harness for pleasure driving classes as well as trail driving, and will be doing a CDE in the future.
DressageringatKHP.jpg

I only have one leather harness. It's a patent leather show harness I bought from Mini Express years ago and it's nice.

My other harnesses are 2 biothane ones that look like patent leather, 1 beta biothane one that looks like leather (more a work harness look), and then my favorite piece of tack -- my Lutke show harness which is biothane.

In the past, I have had leather harnesses for my Morgan and also a mini leather "work" one at one point. I really prefer the biothane / beta biothane ones because they will last "forever" and clean up is so easy. I actually clean mine by putting them on the top rack of my dishwasher!

I have a Zilco and it is a very nice harness that is holding up very well. I do like it a lot.

But saying that.. it really isn't made for a mini under say 33" tall. If I remember correctly I have Maggie set up on the last whole they have for the breast collar and I can't shorten it past that. It also leaves a lot of the traces up in front of the breast collar.

I do like that it has a Gig tree/saddle. A lot of mini harnesses do not have this and it is something I think is very important as not to hurt your mini's back.

So for the Zilco it just depends on the height and size of your mini.

This is a picture of the Zilco on Maggie. Not the best shot but should give you an idea of what it looks like.

bmaggiecartfrontviewgoodmarch05.jpg

:aktion033: :bgrin THANKS EVERYONE!!!! I am now looking at an amish made synthetic that my Zilco dealer reccomended, she said it was great and just as nice as Zilco but I dont have to wait 6 weeks to get it and it is $200 less which leaves room for other goodies
default_smile.png
I love the idea of washing it in the dishwashe
default_smile.png
YAY!!!! I realize from the picture that it can be cumbersome witht he Zilco...I was looking into the empathy collar and my dealer informed me it isnt much more efficiant unless you have a larger pony and a higher draft, I am pulling an easy cart so it will be unnescasary for me...Thanks for all the help peeps
default_smile.png
Ren and Holly :saludando:

Renee- I LOVE my betathane (matte synthetic) harness from Iowa Valley Carriage http://www.iowavalleycarriage.com/harness___collars.php The materials and workmanship are very nice, and the fit is great. Sandee is very nice to work with and very helpful. I use this harness for pleasure driving classes as well as trail driving, and will be doing a CDE in the future.
DressageringatKHP.jpg

I am very encouraged...CDE ...YOU GO GIRL!!!!!!!! We may be there someday :aktion033:

Latest posts

Back