Zebra Horse X

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The lady I got my first mini from had one, and I got to pet him
default_smile.png
He felt so silky, not really like a horse and his eyes were shaped more like a deer's. I don't think they make good "pets" and are for really advanced type homes, but the one I met was very friendly and loved to be pet.

Actually, they are more commonly called "Zorses" or "Zony" (if crossed with a pony). It is possible, it is a hybrid animal is sterile though like a mule.

I think weirder crosses are cow X buffalo and the tiger x lions.

Do a google.com search on "zorse" and see lots of fun hybrid zebras.

Andrea

Wow, what unusal coloring for a zorse, most I've seen pictures of have been uniformily colored with faint zebra stripes. I wonder if the horse used in the cross was a pinto?

Actually, they are more commonly called "Zorses" or "Zony" (if crossed with a pony). It is possible, it is a hybrid animal is sterile though like a mule.

I think weirder crosses are cow X buffalo and the tiger x lions.

Do a google.com search on "zorse" and see lots of fun hybrid zebras.

Andrea
Ya, I've seen a tiger lion hybrid. It was the biggest big cat ever recorded; it didn't look real.

I seen one before, they had one that was wild as anything i had ever seen before at the sugarcreek auction one time. Never been handled and i think he was brought in with the wild horses or mustangs. I didnt get to touch him, but he looked amazing.

They also have Zonkeys, a zebra X donkey
default_smile.png
. I remember after i seen it, i came home and googled and learned about them. They need TONS of human contact and love from the second they hit the ground, most people even take them over and bottle feed them from that point so they are use to human contact. They still have that wild animal side to them.

That is a zorse (looks like a zony to me, kinda short) color i had never seen before though, would that be a zinto (pintoXzonky + Zinto
default_smile.png

Zorse, Zony, Zonkey .... :bgrin

Last edited by a moderator:
[SIZE=14pt]there was a person on the donkey forum for a short time that sold Zorses and Zonies, i emailed them about one he had for sale, it was a gelding and broke to ride and had been in parades. Corinne (donkey forum) owned a Zonkey at one time. i am not sure how i feel about these crosses but they sure a pretty. i have seen a liger (lion tiger X) huge and a little creepy. Nikki[/SIZE]

There is a guy here that owns 2 zonkeys, Zelda and Zena. He is currently breaking them to be "gun horses" for mounted cowboy shooting. Even though he has been working with them for 3 years, they still don't trust anyone but him and he still has to move slowly.

There was a guy in NY that was breeding zonys but I can't remember his name right off.

[SIZE=14pt]I'm sure it's not, but the picture is so defined that it looks like someone photoshopped it. That is gorgeous. [/SIZE]

Nikki is right, Corinne had one but it seems like I remember her telling me that no matter how much you work with a Z-donk, you can't quite ever get the wild out of them (from the zebra part). Maybe she will read this thread and chime in.
default_yes.gif
:

[SIZE=12pt]I think some of these crosses are beautiful to look at but I can tell you from first hand experience...you will never COMPLETELY get the "wild" out of them. I had a zonkey, he was hard to work with in the beginning (he had never been handled) but once he learned to trust me ..and only me, he was fairly easy, and our training progressed really good, but slow. About 2 years down the road, after he was being handled/worked with almost every day, I went out to catch him in the drylot. He normally would come running up to me, this particular day, he wanted nothing to do with me or catching him, it took me almost 2 hours and we finally had to corner him, from that time forward he was like a completely wild animal that wanted nothing to do with humans again. I tried to re-train him, but it was all a losing battle, I finally gave him to a friend of ours who raises exotics, and has zebras. I know of a woman in Michigan who had 2 zonkeys, she took them in parades and shows, they were the hit of her town, but one reverted back to being wild after about 7 years, and I think the other one was sold to Europe. These types of animals are definitely not for beginners or even intermidiate trainers/owners and you definitely have to know what your doing to out-think them, and have all the patience in the world. My Zebo is doing great and I see him a few times a year, and if I ever want him back he's mine. He is happy just being with his "own" type. Before I got Zebo I had been forwarned about how hard they were to train, and how they can go back to being wild. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Nikki, the guy your thinking about with the zonies, zonkeys, and zorses, is from Wisconsin, and has his place about 1 hour from me. Corinne[/SIZE]

Last edited by a moderator:
There is a lady in the Lexington KY area who has a herd of zebras and cross breeds them with horses and ponies. Her zorses don't look anything like that one -- and she sells the in utero -- has a long waiting list for them.

I live near some horse people that bought a zedonk from an Amish man. He was broke to ride and drive, and kids rode him. They said Zedonk (that was his name) could be hard to catch, was stubborn, and could jump high fences, but other than that he was not unmanageable. The kids rode and showed him in the local 4-H fair. He was as calm as any other horse there at the fair when I saw him. Sounds like he might be the exception to the rule, though.

They sold him because their kids were outgrowing him. I wanted to buy him but I would have been too big for him, too. Couldn't really justify that purchase with the husband
default_rolleyes.gif
:

Boy, I've never seen one with markings like that. There's a ranch in Malibu that has all kinds of exotics. I used to board there and my horse got used to seeing the camels, zebras and zorses, and all the other odd animals. The camel they had was HUGE! My horse never would get too close to him.
default_unsure.png
: Can't blame her...he kinda scared me, too. Plus, he'd spit. The baby camel was super-sweet, though, and loved people and the horses.

Latest posts

Back