Youth Proposal

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yaddax3

Reaction score
Here's what I'm thinking of submitting before the July 1 deadline:

A rule proposal that enables youth to qualify for youth classes at AMHR Nationals if they show in either a Youth or Open class.

Now, I'm not proposing that a 5-year-old show in a Stakes driving class or Open Halter class, but there are plenty of teen-agers who already show in Stakes and Open Halter classes. So, why not let those classes be qualifying classes for youth at AMHR Nationals?

Also, why can't a 7-year-old kid qualify for AMHR Nationals by showing in a color class? It's one of the safest classes for any exhibitor.

Full disclosure: I have five children, four of whom show, and it is a royal pain in the hindquarters to get them qualified. (We once had to wake up our then 4-year-old son at 3 in the morning to show in an obstacle class so he would qualify with that horse for AMHR Nationals. He wasn't happy. It was the last show before Nationals and who knew the show would run that late? The color class, by the way, was held in the afternoon.)

The past few years, I have proposed that children whose family owns a horse not have to qualify with that horse. That hasn't drawn nearly enough support, so I'm looking at other options to propose.

I'm wondering how others feel and, after reading the thread about the importance of amateur and youth exhibitors, I thought I'd ask others if they support my idea or have ideas of their own about making it easier for youth to qualify for AMHR Nationals.

I have always thought as long as that youth showed that horse in 1 show, no matter what class, like color class, they are qualified. Guess I have to read up on my rulebook.

Otherwise I'm all for your proposal.

I completely agree with your thoughts and hope you move forward with it. In general, I would think there would be a broad base of support. Everyone comments on how important it is to involve youth and this just makes it that much easier.

See you in Winona Yaddux......Mary

Bob I would suggest submitting the proposal to read "Youth can qualify with one class at one horse show".

Having listened to several rule proposals and seen them shot down due to wording I would be very specific in your wording make it as simple and concise as possible.

Maybe something as simple as showing in any one class? I am not sure just keep it very simple

I know the youth rule seems odd but when you think about what used to go on before it passed it makes more sense. What we had was youth going to Nationals and showing horses they had never even seen much less shown. Big farms and/or trainers would just let youth take one of their horses in to the youth class. So the rule was passed to even the field for those kids that do actually show their own horse all summer and then go to Nationals.

I have always thought as long as that youth showed that horse in 1 show, no matter what class, like color class, they are qualified. Guess I have to read up on my rulebook.

Otherwise I'm all for your proposal.

That's what I thought, too. I looked it up this morning,I was wrong. Ooops. Looks like our youth is not qualified to show Evie at Nationals....

I would vote for it!

Lucy

Only major hurdle I can see...

Youth and amateur classes require the exhibitor name be submitted with the shows results in order for points to count - the same does not hold true for open classes (you don't even have to be an ASPC/AMHR member to show in open classes unless showing at Congress or Nationals). You should check with Cathy at the office and find out if the office is capable of tracking exhibitors in open classes.

I know that point Lewella made was brought up by several last year at Convention when this subject came up

Youth and amateur classes require the exhibitor name be submitted with the shows results in order for points to count - the same does not hold true for open classes (you don't even have to be an ASPC/AMHR member to show in open classes unless showing at Congress or Nationals). You should check with Cathy at the office and find out if the office is capable of tracking exhibitors in open classes. It will be addressed in the proposal with this wording: "Any Youth showing in an Open class must have a signed note or letter from the show manager confirming that they showed the mini in an Open class."

Latest posts

Back