Your thoughts on selling stallions...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[SIZE=12pt]Nope, good stallions make GREAT geldings. I have sold a National reserve GRAND champion gelding and several top ten geldings as pets who will never be shown again, because they will be loved and well cared for. I was sad to see them leave the show ring, but a great home is more important than a show career. I know you also feel a great home is upmost, so if someone wants to take one of my stallions and geld them to ENJOY them, that's OK with me.[/SIZE]

I only have one stallion for sale at this time. My colts are being offered for rocking gelding prices (and I'll have them gelded) because I love geldings
default_wink.png
:

This is probably opening up another can of worms, and I'm getting out the flame-proof suit, but I agree 150% percent! I see stallions listed at stud that have qualities that should NOT be passed down or encouraged in the breed.

But, the reason this happens is because people don't ever stand their studs to the public. There are a lot of top notch stallions out there, but the owners keep them holed up at home making babies. The only way you can get a foal by them is to buy it from the owners. So, in order to breed the nice mare you have, you have to get your own stallion.

[SIZE=12pt]...and conversely, as a breeder with what *I* consider very nice, great producing stallions AND top quality mares, I choose not to breed to outside mares because a significant percentage of what people want to breed to my boys are not mares *I* would feel comfortable breeding to my stallions. There have been a few notable exceptions where (in the past) I have traded breedings with other breeders and we both pre-approved each other's mares. How do you nicely tell someone that their $500 or $15,000 mare is not good enough for your stallion?[/SIZE]

I don't know if that's the problem, Laura. I think the problem starts with the fact that everyone who has a mini seems to think they also need to become a breeder.

I've debated standing my stallions and at this time, I am not planning to and there are several reasons that I've come to this conclusion, at least for now.

I honestly would be honored that someone would want my stud as a gelding. Although, I won't sell my studs and will end up gelding them and keeping them since I really like my boys. I will probably end up selling any colts on a gelding contract too unless there are other arangements made with the buyer.
default_yes.gif
:

I am also in the "no stallion is too good to geld" catagory. If I were gifted with Buckaroo himself he would be gelded within the week. I have two mares and five geldings right now....and I LOVE my geldings. I wouldn't breed even Buckaroo himself...so why have a stallion on my place to live a life of frustration? Nope, nope...I like being able to have my little herd all out together and not have to worry about hormones, pregnancies or anything else. No stallions on my place.
default_smile.png

Wow I must be lucky!! I have three awesome stallions in my area and all the owners are happy to share
default_yes.gif
: At this time I don't even own a breeding stallion, because all my mares are so different that I feel it is best to breed to outside stallions, to find the perfect match.

As for the gelding thing. I absolutely agree that the mini industry needs to geld more often. It is very discouraging to look through our Journal and World magazines and see all the gorgeous stallions and then the so so or pet quality stallions. If you look through other breed magazines, for the most part, the horses shown are top notch!! The percentage of awesome mini stallions is lower in our breed magazines than the number of awesome stallions listed in the Morgan, Arab, Quarter Horse breed magazines. Whew! I think I'm totally stepping in some hot water here :eek: But it is the way I feel about it....

Another thing... I already stuck my foot in my mouth so I might as well dig my hole too!! All the talk about how great geldings are, and how everyone loves them, why is it that they are sooooooooooooo hard to sell? I have seen the most beautiful gelding on the saleboard listed over and over again, and he is still for sale. I myself have had to give away very nice, cart trained geldings in the past. Crazy! According to all the talk it seems that everyone would want one for showing and yet it's just not true. I get way more emails from people looking for a breeding horse than geldings. I think I can count on one hand the amount of people that have emailed me interested in a good show gelding. And I had a few to sell last year!! I just had to say this as every time this comes up, people jump on and say yea! yes!! geld!! and then where are they when it's time to sell these wonderful boys? And where are these forever homes??

I don't think it's a bad idea, and if I was a breeder I would not be offened. When you sell a stalion unless a contract saying that the horse will remain a stallion has been signed you risk him being gelded down the road anyway. Infact When I'm ready to buy a horse I will look for a really nice stallion and geld him when I bring him home, unless of course I find a gelding I really like.

With miniature horses it's hard to find nice geldings for sale, if you can't find one that you like within the area that you are willing to ship chances are you could find a stallion for sale that you like and have him gelded.

everyone loves them, why is it that they are sooooooooooooo hard to sell?

i dont know where that comes from? i have never had trouble yet selling geldings. And I will say I had a harder time selling an intact breeding stallion with a show record then i have ever had selling geldings. Two i sold without ever advertising them. And no I did not "give" them away.

I really think attitude has a lot to do with it. Too many breeders expect that they wont get much for a gelding and they give off that vibe even in their ads. So if the breeder doesnt think they are worth much why would a buyer?

This also could be because I sell to a lot of first time buyers and imo they should ALWAYS start with a gelding and this is what I suggest to them even if i dont have one at the time, and refer them to another breeder.

everyone loves them, why is it that they are sooooooooooooo hard to sell?
I think this keeps getting pushed under the rug yet we all have this in the back of our minds when we hear that question, basically i think (and im sure allot of you out there as well would agree) that allot of people just are out there to make money. If you cant breed it or make any money off of it ...? I think this is how allot of people see it (not all of course
default_smile.png
). You dont see to many breeders stocking up on geldings, you see them buying mares and stallions or future stallions or something they plan to use for breeding. I think there is truth to this statement. I see allot of geldings advertized as good youth horses or pet horses or youth show horses, i think geldings are the altimate performance horse and are not given enough credit. I dont breed ...therefore it is pointless for me to have a band of 20 broodmares and 5 stallions, i like the geldings. But allot of people are out there just to breed and make money (even if what they are breeding shouldnt be bred). JMO

Personally, i would take a performance gelding anyday
default_yes.gif
:

Latest posts

Back