Your thoughts on selling stallions...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LindaL

Reaction score
If you are selling a younger stallion (one with a Nationals show record and/or has proven himself by his offspring's show records), would you be offended or angry if someone emailed you and wanted him for a GELDING? Would you say "No thanks" or would you welcome those inquiries just like any other that came about wanting a stallion?
default_unsure.png
:

Hello,

We had a homozygous tobiano stud sold this past winter. The lady who got him told us she was going to gelded him. We didn't like the ideal of him being gelding, because he was is a great horse. We decide it was most important for him to go to a good home then anything. Good Luck.

The decision is up to you all. Remember a Good home is the most important thing.

melissa

I have know problem with gelding my horses which we think is breeding stock, as long as they pay what I was asking.

I like that they where honest with you.
default_wub.png
:

NO horse is too good to be gelded and if what they are looking for is a top class gelding then that is what they are looking for.

There as so, so many horses out there that people think are "great stallions" that are, in point of fact, very mediocre ones.

If you are looking for a top class gelding you have to start off with a top class horse, after all!!!

Not at all, would I be offended, in fact, I'd be honoured.

It all depends on what the buyer has planned, they are the one's spending the $$. To have someone want to show a gelding of my breeding, that I feel "good enough" to make me wish to breed him...is a bonus, IMHO.

Besides, look at it this way; someone else could buy him as a stallion, misuse him, and turn him into a raging idiot. Think what that would do to your reputation as a breeder of fine, dependable horses?

Personally, I don't feel there is any horse out there, too good to geld. When raising Appaloosas, I had several times, gelded colts that even the Vet, (a quarterhorse breeder herself) hesitated and asked repetitively, "Are you sure?"
default_rolleyes.gif
: :bgrin

I have a mini gelding now, that people ask quite often, "why did you geld him?" "He's so nice." My reply..."That's why I had him gelded." It gives me a good feeling to know that I have a gelding of my own breeding, that is better than many of the stallions in the area. (I don't brag about me...but by golly, I will brag about my horses.)
default_yes.gif
:
default_wub.png
:

nope not at all I would be honored I think it takes a amazing gelding to cut it in the ring today

I would be pleased as heck and very honored.

I feel that someone purchasing a gelding plans to show him, promote him and show him off, love and enjoy him. I personally worry over those purchased intact without a specific and very thorough discussion and understanding between myself and the buyer.

The reason being is that stallions need special consideration due to their nature, and intelligent handling, also I want to have some comfort that the person buying my stallion will be a responsible breeder (as much as I can control such things, anyway).

I'd say go for it. I only wish I could find a buyer for my little gelding I want to sell! (Not gelded yet, but *LOL* similar situation even though he's not nationally titled or anything).

Liz M.

Gelding is great. Selling a gelding is great, the issue I think is when a stallion is priced at a certain point, and an offer comes in for about "half" (or less) of the asking price because "the buyers are going to geld him". Unfortunately a lot of people don't 'follow through" on gelding contracts and from a sellers point they are difficult to enforce. (bad experience with this)

I would sell any of the boys I have listed to someone who wishes to geld them, if they would get great homes.

I'm not currently considering selling them for quite a bit less money because a buyer "thinks" they are going to geld. I have a coming 2yr old gelding for sale with some show experience and they won't consider him. Ok they like the other boy, I'm negotiable, but not to the extent that they offered.

But certainly I am not insulted that they asked.

Oh, absolutely not! Good home is always number 1. What is the worse that someone could say to you if you asked them? I've been sitting (well, not actually sitting on him) on a yearling that our vet wont geld until he was 6 months old and the temps have to go back up and he is an awesome little dude. Nothing wrong with gelding at all!

Fran

I would not be offended. I have gelded some of the nicest horses I've ever known! I don't think deciding to geld a horse means he's not stallion quality. It just means he suits your life best as a gelding. Plus, geldings usually enjoy more socialized, less stressed lives than stallions. I'd go on and ask and see what they say
default_yes.gif
:

I think it would be awsome if everyone would offer a gelding discount to their jounior stallions if anyone wants them. Senior stallions I guess it would depend on the seller, if someone ask me sure I will defintelly take them up on that offer.

This topic really interests me, I'm glad it came up!

I have approached a breeder to buy one of their stallions, we had every intention of having him gelded, and it really ended up being a great experience for us. As some of you know, we recently purchased Little Wee's Magical Merlin from Little Wee Horses. The main thing for us was that we wanted to be completely honest with them right from the start, and like another person stated, we had a goal in mind for Merlin before we even approached them. At first they were unsure if they wanted to sell him, only to have him gelded, but thankfully for us they did agree. We don't breed here, this is a fun hobby for me and my husband, and we wanted Merlin for driving.........and if any of you know me...........I wanted him for his SPOTS
default_wub.png
: !!!!!! Hopefully when he's sent to the trainer, he'll enjoy driving, and end up being exactly what we wanted him for. He's a great little guy, and I'm sure if he's willing, we'll have many fun days of driving ahead of us.

When we got Merlin home, I was hesitant to say that we were having him gelded, and we were a little leary about what people might think about that. So it is very nice to hear so many of these responses to this thread.

I wanted to thank Geri for being so honest with me when she first asked about Merlin. You know, people can tell you absolutely anything & then turn around & do something else.

But Geri was so upfront & understanding. She told me right off what she planned for Merlin & wanted to make sure it was agreeable to me. I sure appreciated that more than she can know.

He is such a gorgeous horse who makes almost all spotted babies & almost all fillies. (and very very nice conformation too). But...when we decided to retire, we had originally hoped (or assumed, I guess) that Merlin would go on to live as a stallion somewhere else.

The most important thing, and I'll say it again & again, is a good loving home. From what Geri had told me, Merlin, as a gelding, will have a great life with many experiences. It sounded to me as this was just the perfect home for him. Gelding or stallion? Whatever made him the horse she could love. And she does. I haven't regretted AT ALL letting Geri take him home. I know he's loved & cared for. And he'll have a purpose in life -- the only purpose in life doesn't have to be as a stallion. I know he'll be happy there. He is already. And so is Geri. And so am I. What more could you want?
default_yes.gif
: - karen

In my opinion... no horse is too good to be gelded. I wouldnt be offended by that offer... but it is totally your call and how you feel
default_smile.png

imo there is no horse so great that they cant be gelded. Why? Because there is always another great horse. I got so many emails when i gelded jet and they all said "are ya nuts?" No im not nuts i wanted a top notch GELDING and now i have one
default_smile.png
then when he got aspc weanling of the year i got asked "if i was sorry i gelded him" NO NO NO. LOL. I think and maybe she can post that getitia was very happy we wanted him as a gelding. Kyle is so excited to show him this year that he can hardly contain himself.

Every colt i have produced has been sold as a gelding. I have yet to keep one intact of my own breeding. All of them were very nice colts and better then some stallions i have seen breeding. But for me to keep one intact he has to be exceedingly better then his sire (or better then the stallions i already have) or whats the point? Two colts came very very close but not quite "it" so I gelded them. cody is going to be gelded as soon as the weather warms up and his owners are estatic.

Maybe this will be the year i have a colt that i feel is good enough to be a stallion. Its a quest and one i love

Kay

It is never offensive to say you are wanting to geld a stallion. It is NEVER wrong to geld a stallion.

Sometimes breeders will offer a lower price if they know the horse will be gelded and shown, particularly if it's of their farm name.

However, since I had a stallion that I wasn't really willing to give a gelding price on (I would sell him to someone who wanted to geld, but would not offer a price break) I would understand if the seller wasn't wanting to lower the price.

You never know, that's why you just have to talk to the seller in most instances. Sometimes they just need the money, sometimes they just want the horse shown, and sometimes they just want the right home.

Andrea

Strictly a theoretically question for me, as I am not a breeder, but if the seller feels the stallion is so incredible that he MUST remain a stallion, why are they not keeping him? It seems disingenuous to me to demand that a colt or stallion you are willing to part with remain intact.

Besides,I would feel so much more secure that my horse was going to a good home knowing that the buyer values him for himself and not just his testicles.

I would have doubts about such a seller and not worry what they thought of me!

Latest posts

Back