Your predications

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leeana

Reaction score
As we all know, the market was down very much this past season and it was a nightmare for those selling or with foals on the ground with the prices of the horses down and the issues with hay and draught.

I honestly cannot say what next year will be like, i guess it cant get much worse then this years market.

Do you think the market will be back up or that it will (lets hope not!) stay down more like it has this year? Make your predictions
default_smile.png

I say Advertise Advertise Advertise
default_wub.png
:

I guess I was lucky nothing for sale this year.
default_wink.png
: Kept back our one filly.

Hope to have 3 babies next year.

Want to keep a colt back and geld for my show season.

We sell our mini foals @ $1000.00 for colts and $1300.00 for my fillies. at weaning age.

Ours are double registered, stay under 32", colour, conformation, and excellent nature.

Just want to wish everyone a healthy foaling season :saludando:

Last edited by a moderator:
It was predicted to me that the economy is going to get worse. Gas prices are supposed to go up again. I have no foals due next year. Might be breeding in the spring. Not sure yet.

Yep the market is absolutely horrid right now. :eek:

I have a few I am trying to sell for a client and I have literally advertised everywhere and all I get for inquiries are little kids or adults who know nothing about miniatures who want something they can ride. Arghh...

Looks like rock bottom pricing is the only thing getting them sold this year and poor colts seem to be the last ones off the market :no:

The market can absolutely get worse, and I wouldn't be surprised if it did. Horses are a luxury item. Miniature horses are a SPECIALTY luxury item in SURPLUS. Gas hasn't been getting cheaper. The price of feed isn't going down. Country living is hard to do when there are no jobs. It'd be nice if there was a movement within the industry to act on this before even more Miniatures are produced for good homes that simply aren't there.

Of course the market can get worse, and it can get better (or course we hope for the last) but even in a so called bad economy as now; I still say quality animals will sell and do just fine. In a bad or good economy the pets are going to sell for pet prices (for the simple fact as you can find them almost anywhere).

I've bought four horses this year to add to my program, bad economy or not they are something I wanted and they will help expand on my program and add to it, I didn't get them for a dime.........and didn't Expect to.

Show quality/breeding quality animals with a lot going for them are going to be sought after, and I'm not saying only the 10k horses are the ones going to grab people's attention or fetch money..........several people and farms have nice show quality animals for less.

I feel that everything swings as in a pendulum and the mini market has swung toward the low end and will hopefully swing back into a middle ground eventually and stabilize. But, as in all things, if you offer quality, you will be okay........

MA

The economy will get worse.

Top quality will continue to sell (such as Erica's, Getitia's, etc.)

80% of mini buying dollars will go to 20% of the available horses, which means that 20% of the buying dollar will be divided up amongst the remaining 80% of sellers.

The intelligent few will breed only in accord with what they sold this year, not breeding at all if necessary.

The less than intelligent majority will breed everything in sight, even with unsold young stock remaining unsold from this year. They will then hold "fire sales" to make room...using phrases like "too many colts" "have to make room for this year's foals" etc.

Minis will show up in even greater numbers at auctions.

People will buy colts and fillies at $50 each, then breed them because they've heard they can make a lot of money breeding minis.

The numbers of pet quality minis (making up the vast majority of the market) will soar.

The prices for all but the very best will plummet.

Isn't it great that everyone loves miniature horses this much?

Just my thoughts on this. I think there is a good chance that the market will get worse. Due to the costs of feed and other factors. True, there will be those who want quality animals that will have the money to buy but not all quality breedings produce quality foals so that still needs to be dealt with. I think there will be more to choose from and since we already see some big name breeders havng a difficult time selling, even with quality, prices could go down. If what we see on the saleboards reflect anything. I think it is reflecting a dropping of prices on both quality and non qulaity horses.....always exceptions to the rule though! Mary

I don't know... quality horses catch my eye and that's what I like to buy. The horses I have seen on the saleboard here that have caught my eye have been $2,000 to $4,000. The others... well they don't catch my eye and maybe that's why they are cheaper. Quality sells.

I think those who invest money in quality (not perceived quality or quality based on purchase price alone, but horses that are actually competitive at the National level) will be able to stay alive and have more ease in selling what they need to sell.

Those with less quality horses, who have struggled in the first place, may struggle even more.

Andrea

I agree with Andrea and Erica. Quality sells. I had two foals this year, and sold the 1st filly within 3 weeks of her hitting the ground (back in February). The second filly I still have and have had some bites on her, but no sales as of yet. Part of the problem is I didn't advertise this filly has heavily as I did the first because I just didn't have the time too. The 2nd filly is just as nice as the first, admitted a little slower to mature, but will be just as nice.

A client and I shopped at Nationals for a couple new horses and we looked at every for sale horse at Nationals. There was a lot of lesser quality horses priced much higher than what we paid for a very nice yearling filly at a very fair price. Part of the problem with the "market" is realizing what you have and pricing it realistically. The horses on my site are priced according to how much I want for them and how willing I am to let them go. The filly is priced much cheaper as I want her to be attractive to a show home, the sr. horses on my site are priced higher because I'm really not committed to selling them. I know what wins at the local, area, and national level and I have a pretty good understanding of what those horses cost. The filly my client bought should do well on all 3 levels; maybe not win the National Grand, but at least have a competitive show season in the future. Many of the horses we looked at were priced much higher than what they should have been for the quality presented.

I know several people who are trying to downsize herds for one reason on another. And when I hear them complain about lack of sales, I always ask them if it's cheaper to feed them at their sale price or cheaper to let them go for less and get them off the feed bill! I'm not ashamed to let one go cheap if it means keeping and feeding the others! It's called ECONOMICS.

No one needs a mini and they are all luxury items. I think the market is there and will be there for quality. Just knowing what I personally have done in terms of buying and what other people have been doing -- quality is in demand and it sells.

I had someone ask me if I wanted to sell my colt from this year. I didn't so I declined. But I didn't even advertise him. He is my avatar if you want to take a look.

I also think that quality will sell and reasonable prices are paramount. I do think it matters what part of the country you are in and how much marketing you do. I have sold two horses this fall without even advertising they are nice horses with good bloodlines and decent conformation though a little fat. Both will be brood mares for the first time next year as 4 year olds. Both went open and the new owners will be breeding them. I didnt ask a fortune for them but didnt give them away either and both sold for more than I paid for them . We have never had a problem selling anything we wanted to sell the problem lies in not wanting to sell any. LOL.

I htink we have to remember that the mini market is really not represtented properly here. By that I mean short of small few of the top truly consistent breeders many dont frequent this board and you dont know how the market has been for them

Many many people who show top horses dont participate in this board.

I think the show market will stay right about where it is there is a strong market there however.. it is only 10-15 percent or so of the total market

so for the other 85-90 percent I see it staying about the same

We went to the R nationals this year and saw a number of horses sold there for very good prices to say the least. One Colt we were looking at and considering buying came out of his class, we ask about him on the way out and went back to look at him in the stall an hour later and he was sold to someone else. No he did not win his class, but we liked him a lot. He brought 8,500.00. We snoozed and we losed LOL. I know of one very established breeder that bought 4 horses for a total of 42,000.0 at the R show also. So sales were pretty brisk to say the least there.

Before we left home earlier today for the A World show Cindy consumated the deal (recieved money) and sold 3 mares and a colt to two different people for very good prices. We have a few colts and a couple of filies left from this years production which are some of the best we produced. We intend to keep them till them age a little to see what we want to keep for the show string this next year, unless someone really wants them and they are going to a show home.

We also have two colts left that will be sold as geldings that don't seem like them will make the grade for our show string. After looking at them again today, I told Cindy that these were petty durn nice colts that we would have killed for a few years ago. She agreed with me and hopefully they will make good horses for som youth out there in the industry.

All in all it has been a good year for both quality and sales for us. The prices seem to be about the same as they have in the procedding several years. That is all we have left.

We are also able to assist several other farms in selling of some of the horses they have for sale as we can't supply what our customers want out of our herd alone. We have sold 11 other farms horses so far this year.

Personally we see the need for advetisement, showing and promoting the Anerican Miniature horse to people both inside and outside the industry as our key mission. The folks in the present day miniature industry for the most part know miniatures and why they love them. new folks need to be educated and exposed to the joys we all enjoy to be sucessful.

Several of the other posters made the comment that Quality Sells and I also believe that. The horses we are selling as pets today were the show horses of 10 years ago, the breed just keeps getting better and better. The quality of the horses I saw at the R nationals was awesome and better than what we saw there previously, we expect the same at the A World Show.

As in most things this durn promotion of the breed and our farm is hard work, costs money and lots of planning/fore thought. I am belssed in that my wife is driven in her desire and love of these littlle guys to be sucessful at it. We will be purchasing a few more horses this year in order to add some bloodlines we want and I am sure we will have to pay decent money to do so. Additionally we expect to sell our horses for resonable amounts of money and be sucessful at marketing them to appropriate new homes.

So to answer the question directly, I expect next year to be about the same as this last year. Sales will be good and the breeding program will continue to produce the kind of horses we want it to. As long as we continue to promote the miniature horse, work in cooperation with other farms and produce horses that are better than what we have produced last year everything will be fine no matter what happens to the economy etc.. Facts are that most people are working and that is a good thing.

On a lighter note I was complaining to a freind we had visit from Holland a few weeks ago about the gas prices in our area being about 2.60 per gallon for regular unleaded. They immediately started laughing at me and informed us they were paying in excess of of 7.00 per gallon at home. Addintitonally they said I was a spoiled brat, which I took exception to. I guess all things are relative.
default_yes.gif
:

Good luck to everyone going to the A World show!!!!!! :saludando:

Oh i fully agree, there will always be a good market for show horses ..but the problem is most every horse on the saleboard is advertized as 'top show horses' when realistically they are not. I to am willing to pay if the horse will win and produce winning foals.

I think the market will be a bit better next year as not to many people bought this yr do to hay issues. I dont think we will see anything to extreme but i think next year will be a better year for selling.

I'm not going to say it will be worse but I definately do not expect it to be any better. Even if ALL of the costs of maintaining a horse goes down I would not expect horse prices to improve over the next several years....... Why? Because there are still too many horses being born compared to the demand...........

I also believe quality horses will still sell to those that want to show & breed quality................... We had three foals this year & all are spoken for plus a broodmare. We will be down to six horses when they leave..

We have actually had more requests for horses than we had horses to sell this year.

I think the market will stay what it is or go down more. With the increase in the prices of hay and fuel -- which I think will stay up -- the price of horses is going to stay low I believe. I think alot of other factors play into this as well -- NO FLAMING ME PLEASE but one of those factors is the slaughter plants -- I am not saying whether they are bad or good but I am saying they affect the market.

Latest posts

Back