Your pet's Christmas

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sterling

Reaction score
I know alot of us here on the forum have alot of pet's dogs, cats especially...aside from our little horses. I am wondering what do you do for Christmas for them? Where do you put their presents, do you wrap them...do you let them tear into them.....do they get Christmas dinner?

Today me and hubby went Christmas shopping especially for the pups, and I have their gifts still in a bag. Got them a really lucious knuckle bone for each of them as one of their gifts, but i know I can't wrap it and put it under the tree because they will tear into it before hand. I had stopped wrapping their gifts in the past and letting them tear them open because my sister had a dog that got to thinking anything with paper on it was for destroying and tearing up, just like his gifts. Soooo am trying to get ideas on whether to wrap them, let them unwrap them, set them under the tree wrapped and I unwrap them......etc.....
wacko.gif

How do your pets celebrate Christmas at your house?

Devin and Tracey get new collars and that's pretty much it.

We don't do the wrappings under the tree for them too much anymore, but Tracey will get her new bally under there wrapped up and Devin will get his bones and then Tracey will kill him for his bones so I guess she better get some too.

I really want to get Tracey a bed. She's getting old and needs to be on something very soft and cushy other than my bed so I do have to look around for something.

We have a doggie stocking that gets hung with the rest of the family's stockings. The doggie gifts go in there until Christmas morning. I usually get them some sort of chewies and some new toys.

My doggies past and present get a toy or to wrapped under the tree(well hidden with santas gifts before hand) and a stocking hung up with a goodie or two.

Tiffany

Our critters get their presents (a new collar, chewie bones, cat-nip mice, etc) in stockings. They always get holiday dinners of cooked chicken or canned tuna. They seem to know on the special days.

-Amy

We usually just get some treats for them. This year one of the grocery chains up here has dog bone tins with gourmet treats in them! lol So I bought one for my dogs, and a bunch for my friends and family. But Moxie will be spoiled at Christmas...a couple of new toys....and hopefully I'll have her new collar made by then too. I went a little crazy buying stuff for her yesterday after she won best of breed!!!
biggrin.gif
She got a new crate, 2 new bed pads for it, a few new toys, some new brushes..... Mind you some of that stuff was needed for showing....and at least one toy will be kept for xmas!
smile.gif
I'm just worried she's going to get into all the presents under the tree!!!
wacko.gif
laugh.gif

~kathryn

Well not exactly presents because I get them toys every time I get them food but I do make them a nice holiday dinner just like the rest of the family gets. Oh and it's my hubby, not me, who insists the little varmints eat it off my good china.
rolleyes.gif

That tickles me, at our house we just had Stanley Eugene's first birthday party ( he is my half chihuaha/half terrier) . He had human and doggie guests, treats, his own chicken dinner, (take out of course, I dont cook), presents, and of course, a new outfit.

I dont have kids, so my dogs are truley my children. He will get presents at christmas, as ell as my others, but I am so glad other people are as bad as me. He is getting pink booties from my niece as she hates to see him get wet feet, when he goes to the barn. She ordered them off ebay, (just like tinkerbelles).

Yep, our dogs get Christmas presents, and yes they are wrapped!

We always have given them lots of special food treats at Christmas as well as toys, but this year, I think it will be mostly toys. Winston's on that prescription diet and we have really cut the treats out for all of them (which was not easy on US!).

Ours are spoiled with the toys. It's not easy to find the kinds they really like. They like stuffed animals but have gratuated past the kind with squeakers. Those are not good enough. They "like" the kind that make either animal noises or say words or make machine noises (they have a collection of stuffed birds that make bird noises, stuffed cows and horses, and stuffed taxi cars and air planes), but the kind they really LOVE are the ones that sing or play music. I hope we can find some!!! They really love it when they can squeaze them and have them sing a song or do some long musical routine. They're so talented when it comes to music.

Since they get their gifts wrapped in paper, they are always optimistic anytime there is a present to unwrap that it might be for them. One year, Harvey gave me some presents on valentines day and he gave me this little one wrapped up and said "this is from Winston to Mommy". Well, "from" and "for" must sound quite a bit a like. Winston was beside himself wanting the present when I was unwrapping it and to make it worse, it was a stuffed animal! So surely it was for him not for me. It was this really cute little small bear like 3" tall dressed up as a bumble bee. I put it in a display cabinet or for sure, Winston would have been slobbering it up.

I don't know, I think Maggie gets a holiday every day. She is spoiled and I want her to be that way, for reasons of my own. Here she is today, her new $1 toy brings her alot of joy, typical puppy, the world is her play thing!

Maggie12-13-05.jpg

Marnie, your Maggie looks SO much like our shih-tzu's! She's so adorable!!! Just kind of like you are saying, I've thought many times how I wish a toy that costs a few dollars, or anything that costs a few dollars, could make me feel that total elation that the dogs feel over a new toy. And Winston is so proud of his toys. Whenever Harvey or I come home, he always has a toy in his mouth to greet us with and like he's showing off to us. And, when I'm home first and he hears Harvey, he actually will go back and forth between a few toys before he finds the one that is going to be the most impressive. Have to watch him, too, or he will take them outside and forget them.

Lets see I have got my little dogs tiny bones, small rope bones and a bunch of small squeaky toys and these really neat small tennis balls. My new little chihuahua is also getting a new bed and the large bulldogs all get new nylabones and rope toys. I try to stuff most of it in their stockings and hand it all out Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. Sad thing is I havent even started to shop for hubby.
biggrin.gif

Well, of course, at our house it just wouldnt be christmas if the dogs didnt join in.
aktion033.gif
I have 2 big christmas bags one filled with treats, toys, collars, leashes,and whatever else I could find- one for Shado and one for Angel, each item is wrapped just for them to have fun opening. My 2 grown kids also buy a present for each of the dogs. They also share our holiday meal. I did have to give Angel one of her gifts early--she got a dog parka, that has a nice thick lining, and a "fur" hood attached. Its getting pretty darn cold out and she needed it now, she looks so cute in it..but Bob thinks....well, we wont go there!
wink.gif
but my Angel is happy and warm,and spoiled, so who cares WHAT Bob thinks! Marnie, your little dog is so cute and you are so right..they are thrilled with a $1.00 new toy, it dont take much to make HAPPY LITTLE POOCHIES. Corinne

HA, how can you put them under the tree.......... they smell them and know! Have to hide them in the closet or end up giving it to them early. Seems like around our house it's always Christmas time for the animals (don't tell them I called them animals, they think they're 4 leged people)
biggrin.gif
yes.gif

My dogs love to open Christmas presents. I think they enjoy more the tearing of the paper instead of what's inside. It's the only time they're allowed to "rip" anything up. They just love it!

My dogs get new toys, raw hides and the Doberman get a new coat. The cats get new toys (I toss the old ones) and the horses all get carrots and a special supper. The rescue filly gets a jolly ball. She is such a little stinker and wants someone to play with so maybe the ball will help keep her entertained. I know the other minis will consider it the best present for them if she will leave them alone.
biggrin.gif

All the animals that are part of my family celebrate Christmas. I of course hang stockings for all my horses, big and small, and they usually get horse treats I purchase and then of course I can't forget the dinner mints they go nuts for, you know the ones that are small and white/pink/green/yellow... Now the house cats will get some cat toys and treats and my barn cats are going to get these special beds I saw that look like igloos in a way and have warm pile inside of them. I heat my tackroom in the winter and that is their "bedroom" and of course they will get some treats called "Pounce" and they will also get some leftover turkey added to their food dishes
biggrin.gif
on Christmas day to thank them for the great job they do at keeping the mice away from the barn. My dog will get some new squeaky toys just so she can drive everyone nuts with them! Apparently one of my daughter's friends is giving our grandaughter a rabbit for Christmas
unsure.gif
so I guess we need to figure out a treat for the new bunny.

You betcha they do. I like to make something for each animal. This year the horses will get peppermint wreaths, the yorkies will get new dog beds complete with tie blankets and a sausage pillow, and the cats will get catnip spiders.

Oh the dogs get all their stuff treats and squeekies etc in stocking with the really smelly treats in the toe, they get their little bodies stuck in the stockings every year. My oldest Yorkie knows that the word Christmas means food and fun!

Last edited by a moderator:
Although we have 9 dogs only 2 were mine and they were my babies. Tiffiany has been gone for almost 2 years now(will be 2yrs onjan.25th,2006) she loved to chase rats in the barn so she always got a new battery powered rat to chase every year along with treats i her stocking(she got boiled chicken and milk for supper every day of her 14 years). Doodie bug passed away this year suddenly from cancer,we didnt know til it was to late, but he always got jerkie. He never wanted to chase anything even if he could eat it! This will be the first christmas out of the past ten without him. Didnt mean to be a bummer just miss my doodie bug.

Latest posts

Back