Your Opinions Regarding Weights of Minis

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jill

Aspiring Cowgirl
Reaction score
[SIZE=14pt]I'm curious to have input on what you all think minis of different heights might weigh.[/SIZE]

For this "survey", assume the minis are of average build -- not too stocky and not overly refined. Also assume they are in good weight being neither too fat nor too thin.

I'd really like to know your opinions on what the following might weigh:

30" mini

32" mini

34" mini

36" mini

It's hard for me to guage the weights, and my vet will always ask "what do you think he weighs?" when he's dosing something. I have weight tape and think it's a reasonable tool to monitor changes in weight, but do not feel it really is very accurate as to how much the animal really weighs.

Thanks!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
My yearling 33" mare who was in good weight weighted 150. THis was weighing her on a cattle scale at a fair that year.

The only mini I've ever actually had weighed (at the vet's) was a 33", rather refined gelding, in good weight, full grown. He was 195 pounds. I keep that in mind when deworming horses, etc, and compare him to the other horses I am dosing. I would be interested in finding out what my B size horses weigh exactly. I guess I really should take a few different sized horses to my vet's and get them weighed and find out! I'll be watching this to see what the consensus is, good question.

Hopefully this will give us all some good information. Both inputs so far are pretty valuable!!!

I will need to look and see if I can find it, but the equine nutritionalist at our co-op sent me a study that (I think) Kentucky Equine Research did specifically of how to calculate the weight of minis, and how the formula is to differ from how you calculate the weight of big horses.

Of course, I am unable to locate this printout at the moment but will keep looking. Also, not sure if it is "legal" for me to copy it and put it out in the public (?).

Going to go with what a couple of vets have said on similar horses I've had for the weights:

30" 200

32" 225

34" 250

36" 300

That being said, my 33.5" stallion weighed in at 200 lb., as did my 30" two year old mare....when I had them weighed for medication a few years ago prior to doing their teeth. All my other horses were between 200-250 lb. and they are all within an inch of each other for height being in the 31.50" range.

He did a tape weight, though, not an actual scale.

I, too, find it very interesting the wide variety of weights on horses the exact same height and even apparent builds. So glad that my choices of wormer are very forgiving as I over dose them somewhat to make sure they get a good dose.

I think there are times when it's quite important to be precise with the weights, but those would be times when a mini would be under the care of a vet anyway.
default_smile.png

Liz M.

I found this in a book about minis and have used it to get a better handle on weights. Supposedly they ran tests on the formula and found it to come closest to the acctual weight. Measure the girth at the heart (in inches) multiply that by 9.36; now measure the point of shoulder to point of pelvis (inches) multiply that by 5.01 Add the two number together and subtract 348.53; the result would be their body weight.

Using this method my 35" is 268 lb - maybe 18-20 lbs too heavy. My 31" was 197 but coming 3 his whole body is changing shape so I'm just waiting to see what spring brings. My little filly 28" (7 mo) was weighed at the vets when she was sick 125 lb but lost 10 lb in a week's time.

Big Man is 34" on the nose, and according to the scale at the feed store, he weighs 239 lbs :new_shocked: He's kind of a stocky made thing, though.

However, Tuffy topped out at 24" tall as a yearling and weighed only 50-55 lbs....he was teeny tiny! My husband would get a kick of bringing him into the house and weighing him on the bathroom scales!

Wouldn't age (meaning overall body development) also play a factor into this, not just height? A 30" yearling is not going to weigh the same as a 30" 10 year old.

Here's one of my favorite sources for estimating body weight

Body Condition - Estimating Body Weight

Liz R.

Great thread Jill!

I used to weigh my quarter horses by riding them to the dump and using thier scale. Amazing how off those weigh tapes really can be.

I've often wondered how far off I am at guesstimating the weight on the minis. Usually on the big ones, I am pretty close to accurate. On the minis I am usually "weigh off"........

I found this in a book about minis and have used it to get a better handle on weights. Supposedly they ran tests on the formula and found it to come closest to the acctual weight. Measure the girth at the heart (in inches) multiply that by 9.36; now measure the point of shoulder to point of pelvis (inches) multiply that by 5.01 Add the two number together and subtract 348.53; the result would be their body weight.
Ok, so using your formula compared to the one Hosscrazy linked on my horses, I got:

Misty: 2 yo mare - 35" tall, stocky build

This formula: 364#

Other formula: 368#

Dakota: yearling stallion - 32" tall, medium build

This formula: 302

Other formula: 281

Tana: weanling filly - should mature about 35

This formula: 158

Other formula: 156

So pretty close on the two mares, but 20# difference on the stallion (could be the awkward yearling thing)

There is a neat chart on the LB info pages about weiging the minis...it gives the hearth girth size in inches and then an estimated weight..right here under our noses.. :lol: Not sure how accurate but at least its an estimated based on something tangible.

LB info page with weight by girth chart

I am able to weigh our horses at home. My vet does not have a scale and

was guestimating the weight of a 28" filly at 250 lbs.

Hubby brought home an old doctor's scale and made

a plywood platform that the horses stand on.

As of last weekend

28.5" mare 165 lbs

30" stallion 190 lbs

31.25 mare 215 lbs

30.5" 250 day in foal, mare 230 lbs

28" yearling 125 lbs

The first 3 are 5-10 lbs over their warm weather weight, I feed extra hay at night during the winter.

We weigh any horse that is going to to see the vet, saves any guessing. It is also great when trying to answer the age old winter question .... Is it just hair?
default_whistling.gif
:

I think nootka's estimates are about closest-and foalfan, who is able to actually weigh hers, has weights on the various heights/ages/bodybuilds that sound pretty'on target' to me.

I do use the weight tape, and believe it to be pretty accurate, when applied correctly. My 34" horses, all of medium build, range from 240-275 lbs., depending on time of year and condition; my 38" mare tapes at 375, my mature,medium build 30.25" mare, between 185-200, and my two that are right in the 32" range are around 220-240(one is an 'air fern', plumps up at the drop of a hat, esp. in winter!) If I had reasonable access to a proper scale, I would be interested in weighing them, of course, but am comfortable with what I can get through use of the weight tape, for purposes such as medication and/or deworming. For deworming, it is generally better to OVERestimate weight than UNDERestimate.

Thanks for all the input! I am also one who aims to over-dose the (ivermectin) dewormer. I actually do most of mine for 400# and some of the "small" ones for 300#, figuring they weigh considerably less than that in reality. BUT, then when it comes to having to dose medications, I am unsure of myself but luckily, that's rare that I have to give meds.

I have always wondered how much weight a pregnancy ads to a mare?

Latest posts

Back