Adjusting harness and cart with mini weight change

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trenna

Reaction score
Greenie questions here, but I just got a new mini who is very experienced in driving. Also got his Smart cart (cross country shafts) with one shaft rotated in a bit. Don't have anyone with CDE experience in my immediate area but so far gotten great advice here.

My pasture must be better so in a month or so, he's gained weight (likes our hay better too) and started jumping forward when turning, especially to the right.

Today we figured out the shaft might be hitting him and rotated it out a bit more and that really helped.

My questions:
If I rotate the cart shafts straight ahead, I'll have to lengthen the tug holders. Can these be too long if the strap holding them down is snug after cart hooked up?

I'm not doing much in the way of hills, can the breeching be a little loose so it's not tightening on him with just turning?

I think this is all caused by the change in his body, but it's tough to tell sometimes with very long hair on top and no hair on bottom (has trace clip), I think he will like it better when his coat grows in.

Pix?

I'll wade in where angels fear... especially since I am green... I understand the breeching should have two fingers of slack at his rump, hills or no. How much are you running?

Latest posts

Back