Your first Miniature Horse

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

atotton

Reaction score
I want to see pictures of your first miniature horse, or horses if you bought more than one for your first purchase. My first miniatures are Duey ( black gelding) and Hope (black and white pinto).

227910_4511442501125_564743596_n1.jpg

715.JPG

100_6200.JPG

HFM RIO BRAVO

Bobby

2000 30.5" bay stallion

AMHA/AMHR

sire: Komokos Apple Jack

dam: Dun Dreamins Lady Sassafrass

Heavy Komokos and Johnstons bred.

My pride and joy!

Altho not desired in todays fancy refind market, He is my main herd sire and love his foals!

riobravo.jpg

DSC02786_cropped_6x4_2nd_set_sm.jpg

100_0095.jpg

100_2241.jpg

100_4251.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I like this thread
default_smile.png
Shadow is my first mini

fall horses 322.JPG

My first mini was my graduation gift from my parents. Maple Hollows Sir Spot aka Spotty was a cute little fireball of a stallion LOL! He had tons of personality and was just a great boy and gorgeous. I made the tough decision to sell him and found out this year that he passed away, most likey due to colic, they were unsure as to cause. Made me very sad to hear that but it sounded like he had a great new home that loved him a lot and he was getting to run with his herd of mares. I wasnt using him much for breeding so decided it was unfair to keep him around as a stallion but I felt he was too nice of a boy to geld so let him go on to his own herd. RIP to my little man but glad I got to spend so many years with him and also glad he was in a good place when he passed.

IMAG033.jpg

IMAG035.jpg

Our first miniature was a silver dapple pinto gelding 31" tall with a heart of gold-got him in 2003

my husband bought him for my birthday so I would learn to be comfortable driving our full size

saddlebred. Banana was the start of it all also he taught me to drive with confidence he's just a been there done that guy

We owe all we are doing today to Banana teaching us to just love miniature horses

"Cozy Corners Just Gone Bananas" a Shadow Oaks Top Banana grandson

I just sold Banana this year as we were not using our geldings much at all and hope to move this

coming year so keeping the #'s down. Banana is once again making little kids happy in his new home

a gentleman who trains full size horses to drive bought him for his grand children.

HPIM0222-2.jpg

banana2.jpg

HPIM2564-1.jpg

HPIM0128.jpg

This is my mare cocoa when i got her in 2005 and a photo taken the other day (a few weeks after giving birth)

DSC01942 - Copy.JPG IMG_2500 - Copy.JPG

Our first miniature, Eclipse, who we still own. He was 3mos old when he came home in 1999. He wasn't our first horse (we already had two riding horses), but the first one we took care of ourselves, and the first one we raised. He is a good boy and a lot of fun to drive.

Eclipse%20061808%20166.jpg
Eclipse%20061808%20158.jpg

My first was Pegasus Valley Star, a 36" bay pinto mare.. I got her in 2003, lost her in 2007 to colic.. She was the sweetest little gal, when I put my arms around her neck she'd out her head over my shoulder and tuck her head back to hug me back.. She got me hooked on the breed, gave me four awesome foals, one of which I bought back after I lost Star, so I still have a little piece of her.. Thought I had more photos of her but can't seem to find them right now..

102_1105.jpg

My first miniature is Redrock Santiago F, barn name Cuzco, AMHA/AMHR gelding that came my way from Becky Schulz & Redrock Miniature Horse Farm. I got him in Cody WY from a lady selling off her herd. He was 2 when I got him, coming 4 now. I couldn't ask for a better boy! He's out of Harts Tip Top Flash, looks just like his daddy (except he's out of shape

default_whistling.gif
). He doesn't have a bad habit in him, except he's a food hog. He's driving like a pro after only 3 months of training and he loves the show ring! I have a feeling that we're going to be serious contenders if we keep it up!
IMG_0633.JPG

IMG_7367.jpg

we got our first minis back in 04

117_117.jpgsugarnikki.jpg

These were my daughter first minis.The minis are now own by Tony at Little American.The silver dapple mare passed away back few years ago.

My daughter loved these gals.We only let them go because we changed our breeding program

What nice horses everyone started out with. I forgot to mention that I brought mine in July 2010 Duey was a weanling and Hope was 2.

Heres our first boy "Mountain Views Playday" aka Josh. Whom we still own. We got him when he was 5 months old. He is now 7 1/2. He's not the pretty arab type we look for in the miniatures today but he is one special boy!

28rfvgj.jpg
30biro4.jpg

This is me and my Grandad in 1981 with our first three - Martins Bunny, Sooner States Little Champ & Twinkles.

This is my first mini, Fortora Farms Whirl, aka Vegas. She's got so much attitude and is so very opinionated. I bought her to get her out of a bad situation and fell in love with her.

215864_10152284977815556_402907838_n.jpg

484896_10152284632165556_1304157066_n.jpg

Having a grooming session with her momma

431722_10152242988965556_1691279690_n.jpg

Love her trot...so flowy.

246555_10152131287980556_499287932_n.jpg

This one shows her opinionated side...trying on her new halter. Not impressed.

I have tons more, but I won't bore you with more
default_smile.png

My first mini, S&DMs Sally. She was Amish-trained to drive, but very shy and reserved. She's now a wonderful 4-H horse. While not the best conformation (though she has placed in Open shows and even took Grand Champion Halter horse at the fair), she gives a lot of kids the opportunity and 'training' they need to move ahead with their own mini. I so love this little girl!

My 9 year old nephew winning the Under 18 Open Driving class in 2011

Sally_Hunter08-2011_5.jpg

Sally posed during a 4-H show with her 4-H handler

Katie_Sally05-21-11_4-1.jpg

One of my favorite pictures of my girl - such a kind eye!

Sally.jpg

Our first mini is SRF Masters Touch, aka "Cowboy" that we purchased in January 2004 as a companion for our big horse Target. Since we were already showing Target on the New England Pinto circuit, we had to have a pinto. Cowboy was a 2 year old stallion that the sellers gelded for us, and was clearly going to be a challenge. But he is also adorable, sweet, and has the cutest nicker! Here he is earning the final points he needed for his Pinto Championship. We still have him and he is still a challenge, but serves as a goal for the 4-Hers to work toward.

090919-C-011.jpg

Photo by Ellen Leffingwell, Photography to Remember

This is Wacrapas Dapper Dan just off the trailer when I brought him home in February of 2002. He was a 5 year old stallion that had barely even worn a halter. My bil said his name should have been Ivan the Terrible instead of Dapper Dan.

We have learned from each other and come a long way together. Other horses may come and go but Dapper Dan is here to stay.

www.cassphoto.com/ddfirstday.jpg

His name is W a s h i t a s Dapper Dan. The Forum editor always scrambles the first word. There is a river near here by that name, from the Kiowa language.

Latest posts

Back