Your favorite shampoos and grooming products

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marty

Reaction score
I want to try some new shampoos for a change.

Not complaining about my old stand-bys Orvus and Wonder Blue but just curious what other kinds you have tried that you like. I don't need the color - enhancing ones, just a general shampoo and conditioner.

Also: I know there is a technical answer to this one if there is a hairdresser out there:

What is the difference of using people shampoos on horses hair?

I don't remember what in technical terms it was so if anyone knows can you please refresh my memory?

I use Suave shampoo and conditioner on my horses. And for those horses with white markings, I use the Absorbine Show Clean on those areas.

We also use Suave shampoo and conditioner on our horses. And I use a baby shampoo for the horse's head, just incase it gets too close to their eyes.

For manure stains I use either Miracle Groom or a Cowboy Magic product.

MA

Well, I'm third in a row for people who use Suave shampoo and conditioner. I have traditionally used the green apple scented one, and just this last year I got to thinking...why am I making my horses smell like something they would eat? That seems weird. Like washing me in chocolate! Hey WAIT!! That doesn't sound so bad!

But truly, I do like the green apple fragrance as it's a nice, crisp smell. And you sure can't beat the price. A couple of times when I ran out of shampoo in the house, I've had to raid the grooming kit!

Jayne

I use the blue Dawn soap on the entire body and then Pantene conditioner on the mane & tail. They smell like girly-boys afterwards & they're super clean & shiny!

My horses and I all use CitraShine, which makes our hair soft and brings out highlights...good price, too.

Another vote for Sauve. I use the one in the green bottle that is a shampoo and conditioner together. It smells great. We use Pantene on the mane and tails. Big and little horses both.

I've really liked Mane and Tail Shampoo over the years. I like a shampoo that lathers well, rinses clean and leaves a nice fresh scent. Gentle enough to use on my hair too!

I frequently have show horses come in during the winter with fungus and have used a variety of medicated shampoos to clear it without much success. I was recently told to try Corona Shampoo which I did. It's not medicated, but I love the results! Cleared up the fungus fast! A great lathering shampoo too.

I use a human baby shampoo on the horses' head.

I use to use people (usually Suave) hair conditioner on the coat, but I've found many horses don't tolerate it well as it makes them itchy. So now I only use conditioner on their manes and tails.

I use the generic version of Clairols' Shimmer Lights (blue shampoo) on white markings and white manes and tails. It's must cheaper than the equine versions!

I like Quick Silver for those white / flaxen manes and tails.

Baby shampoo is a must for their faces.

Baby oil GEL (vs. plain baby oil) for highlighter on their faces.

My favorite conditioning product, I found on accident! I was out of Mane & Tail Conditioner before a show a couple years ago and didn't realize until the last minute (and too lazy to run to the supply store). So, I got some of my old Therma Silk conditioner and used that. Man, it made the manes and tails so silky soft it was unreal.

Also, Cholesterol / Kolestorol conditioner that comes in a tub (I think it is for African - American hair) is great to put on after you've clipped and bathed. You rinse it out, don't leave it in.

For manes and tails that need to be dyed (phew, I got none of that this year!), a great product to use is "Just For Men" dye gel (not the brush on stuff). It does not drip the way all the other products I tried do. It actually makes for a very easy time dying sunbleached manes and tails and you can get a very dark brown / near black color that looks natural. I was thrilled with the results when I used this -- so much easier and so much nicer looking than the types of dyes intended for women's hair.

Lots of Show Sheen or other brand hair polish is good if you are like me and bathe them the day before the show. Put that on their bodies, legs, manes and tails. The braid up the tail and put it in a tail bag, put them in their slinkies and sheets, and put 'em to bed
default_smile.png
The show sheen does a good job at repelling the dirt from parts of the body you are not covering with slinkies and sheets and should keep them pretty nice overnight until the show.

Last edited by a moderator:
I love the Oster shampoos. They got everything from light to dark horses, a shampoo to get a dirtiest horse clean for clipping (really works too), conditioner, and a shampoo just like baby shampoo. Use the conditioners in their manes and tails and they come out so soft, and they come out so sweet smelling lol. Also we use Jeffers show sheen, works wonders.

where is Pam (justanothercowgirl) she is a hair dresser
default_yes.gif
:

any way, I used White-N-Bright for my Gelding's white maine and tail and it worked really well!!

I bought a bottle of an Oster shampoo for Palaminos I really did not see a difference but it got him clean.

I really like Cowboy Magic Shampoo and other products too.

I like Hartz dog shampoos the oatmeal one is great if the tend to be on the itchy side and they also make a blue one that works really well one white!!! I buy a bulk shampoo and conditioner by the gallon for my hair salon that smells like cherry lifesavers and when it is on sale I do get it for the horses because it just smells so good!!! lol

I like the Mane and Tail shampoo for getting them real clean on the front end, then I come in behind with a color shampoo. I like the Quik products best, the silver, and the new Quik Black
default_yes.gif
: I have several different conditioners I use, it depends on the horses hair which one I use. I know when we go to Oklahoma and they get that red dirt in their tails and around the bottom of their white stockings Mane and Tail gets it out quicker than anything else I have tried.

Latest posts

Back