Yippee The Hay's All In

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fullmoon

Reaction score
Oh My Gosh it feels sooooo good to have it sitting in the barn and plenty of it to last a year! Our weather has been so dry in this part of the country that we were afraid there would be a shortage. Actually we got just about all that was left from our regular hay man. He says that a second cutting might not even happen this year. I'm just floating on air! Yippeeeeeeeee! Little do the horses know just what we go through for them. :bgrin

I'm jealous. :bgrin

I wish I had the room to store it because I would be stock piling it right now. We just put up 50 bales and that is not going to last us more than 2 months. I need to squirrel away at least 150 but with no where to store it I just pray the feed store can keep it coming this fall.

Oh, I know what you mean. I am always so glad when I get my hay in for the year. Last year we had a dry summer and my supplier kept telling me that he may not get a second cut. I worried all summer. Fortunately he did cut a second time and I had plenty. This year I got some real early first cut and it is undoubtedly the best hay I have ever had. My horses usually prefer the second cut but they just hogged into this first cut hay.

Congrats! We just got another 330 baled today for a total of 830. World record for us, not one bit got rained one! Hope we will have a second cutting, we might just get enough to almost last until next year.

I'm jealous. :bgrin

I wish I had the room to store it because I would be stock piling it right now. We just put up 50 bales and that is not going to last us more than 2 months. I need to squirrel away at least 150 but with no where to store it I just pray the feed store can keep it coming this fall.

If you can get your hands on enough wood pallets and some large tarps that you can tie down, you should be able to squirrel away almost everything you need. We live in a somewhat windy area that gets either lots of sun or a sudden thunderstorm (or snow storm in winter) and have been able to keep hay through the winter.

If you can afford it, it's worth it, IMO.

I DO know how fullmoon is feeling! We are finally in a place where we are able to grow our OWN hay! The guy is coming next week to do and and I am watching the weather like a hawk!

MA

Latest posts

Back