Yet another question: baby shots?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HollynIvysMomma

Reaction score
Do baby horses need special shots like puppies and kittens do? I know older horses can have their coggins test, and some shots as well. When/what shots do my little ones need?

As always, thanks!

Also, as an update on my other issues:

They have pretty purple halters now (all their things are pink and purple) but I only put the halters on them when their being lead, so they don't get a hoof stuck in them when we aren't around.

They have hay 24/7 now, and their growth feed, which they love, and their mineral and salt lick. They are chubs, but they have lots that pot-bellied look.

They've been wormed.

Are these weanlings? They should start getting shots at about 6 months because while they were nursing they got their immunity from mom. Check with your local veterinarian about what shots they need in your area. Good for you for not leaving halters on!! And for leading them around....

Your vet will recommend the vaccinations are best for where you live. My vet recommends the following here:

Tetanus /E&W Enceph /West Nile 1

Flu / Rhino 1

Rabies

Last edited by a moderator:
We give Prestige Five-way to our weanlings, with a booster a month later.

Any additional shots, ie. rabies, West Nile, should be given spread out and not when the Five (or Four)-way shot is given, IMO. Giving too many shots at once is hard on youngsters' systems.

I'm a minimalist, but tetanus is one to give youngsters for sure.

Latest posts

Back