Yearling Filly conformation critique

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KGminiaturehorses

Reaction score
Hey there!
default_smile.png

So I have had my filly for around four months now, and have gotten the opportunity to get out and show a few times, and had a blast! I made the switch into the miniature world from the hunter/jumpers just a few months ago, and am very happy I did. I have learned many things from this site, and want to give a big thanks to everyone who has helped me out or given me advice! It's much appreciated.

At the shows I have been to, my yearling and I have done fairly well. (We have only shown at open shows, no breed shows yet.) I have had weekends when the judges placed us top three in every class, then days that we didn't place at all. I guess thats just showing that every judge has a different eye! So I was going to ask of your opinons on my girl, and what faults you might see? I have many years working under professional trainers and colt starters, owning and showing performance horses, and have lots of knowledge of what to look for in a correctly put together horse, but im still new to minis, and am learning all I can!
default_smile.png
The faults that I see in her are her lower tail set, and her neck could be longer in my opinon, and she appears weak in the hindquarters. She has matured alot in the last three months and is starting to fill out more, and I think shes straightening out a bit.

Well enough of my rambling, what's your opinion?

Do you think she is capable of being competitive?

She is 31.25" currently, at 1 year. (Her birthday is tomorrow
default_wub.png
)

Thanks in advance!

mnishow.jpg

Such a lovely filly! There's something about her forelegs that I am suspicious of, can you get another photo of her? Her neck ties in a little low, but she appears to be quite smooth bodied.

Very cute. She would be competitive but I would make sure to keep that neck up and don't stretch it out.

Such a lovely filly! There's something about her forelegs that I am suspicious of, can you get another photo of her? Her neck ties in a little low, but she appears to be quite smooth bodied.
Thank you!
default_smile.png

And I don't have any recent good pictures of her front view, but here's one from the day we went out to look at her. Obviously before clipping, but I think it somewhat shows some of the conformation changes shes gone through in the last 4-5 months.
photo.jpg

These pictures just are not near good enough to give a real critique. We need to see the same thing a judge is seeing and that is a horse standing square and hopefully not in grass so that we can see the pasturns etc.

I would also clip the fluff off the top of her tail
default_smile.png
That just doesnt give a pretty picture. We totally clip that area to get winter hair off and then start clipping the V with the second clip. For a bandaid measure between shows I clip it going with the hair (instead of against like normal) to keep the hair down on the V.

I agree with the other posters, but I feel her hip is very balanced to the rest of her body from the first picture. On clipping the "V", just take your blade off the clippers and comb it through the long hair on the "V". It is much more forgiving that going with the hair. It takes several passes, but eventually gets the hair down to a better length.

Such a lovely filly! There's something about her forelegs that I am suspicious of, can you get another photo of her?
My eyes went to her front legs right away also. She looks to be over at the knee BUT...you can't tell from that photo because she may also be leaning towards the other horse throwing her legs off.

I actually see more faults in the large one...like only having three legs would really worry me.

default_new_rofl.gif
:rofl
default_rolleyes.gif
default_laugh.png

Last edited by a moderator:
My eyes went to her front legs right away also. She looks to be over at the knee BUT...you can't tell from that photo because she may also be leaning towards the other horse throwing her legs off.

I actually see more faults in the large one...like only having three legs would really worry me.

default_new_rofl.gif
:rofl
default_rolleyes.gif
default_laugh.png
LOL I just noticed that aswell.....
default_laugh.png

And yes, she was most likely leaning in towards the mamoth halter horse.

I will try and take some square photos of her
default_smile.png

From the first photo, it looked like she may a bit over in the knee, but it doesn't appear that way in the second shot. However, in both pictures, her hoof/pastern angles are completely off. You may want to sit down with your farrier and discuss how to fix this. She also appears to be a tad splay footed, again talk to your farrier. In the first shot, she looks a mite roached in the back, but you really can't see it under all the hair in the second shot, so I'm not entirely sure. Still, a lovely filly.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back