Yearling Colt- not droped yet... Advice please

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zoey3

Reaction score
This colt is 14 months now and only one testie is visible. It will be droped one day, gone the next but no matter what I can always feel it. Con't find the other and three months ago he was at the Vet for his coggins and the Vet could not find it either, she said to give it more time. I would like to have an idea the % chance it will appear and % chance it will not and he is a crip. I think they are not considered a crip until they are 2? I have not had this issue with a colt before so I am just not sure how much of as chance their is that it will drop. I did talk to one breeder and she said she had one that did not drop until 2. She also mentioned the aronosas tend to mature late? We have/have had three other colts out of the same sire as this guy that droped by a year old. One is only 3 months and already has one droped. Now the sire is all aronosa. This guy is all aronasa because his mother is too. The other 3 out of the same sire are only half aronosa, their mothers are not aronosa.

Okay now the reason why I need to know if he still may drop is because I want to get him gelded but would rather not spend an extra $200 to have him gelded as he is now if their is still a good chance he may drop. I realy do want him gelding soon as he is very study and being gelded would allow me to start realy working with him and it will be nice for him to be able to play with the others, He has been by himself for a long time...and he wants a play mate so bad! All we have are fillies/mares and one gelding. He used to be with the gelding, but he started to play way to rough with him(trying to proove he is the "man").

Thanks in advance!

Casey

I would not worry yet at that age- the limit on both testicles being dropped by 3 years old for the registry is for a reason. I have talked to a lot of people who had yearlings that only had one showing at a year old, but the other did drop before or by the time they were two.

Yes, I have waited on several until they were 18 months to a full two years old so that i could geld them normally. I personally wouldn't pay the extra to geld one until age three but in my experience they do usually have both by age two. If both aren't there by the third birthday then it's time for crypt surgery. So far I've only had to do one of those and would prefer not to have to do it again.

I had a colt who had both testicles at birth, then they disapeared.
default_thud.gif
Well one of them showed back up at 2 1/2... the next showed up a little after his third birthday. He was then gelded as a three year old. Give him time some just seem to take longer than others.
default_yes.gif

BTW: I would love to know where you are only having to pay $200 extra to geld a crypt!! The only vets I know of charge at least $600 more if its a crypt. I see you are in Texas and would consider a drive for a good price...
default_whistling.gif

I agree with the above.......Give him some time still. Minis often drop a little later than full sized.

And I agree with the price being very reasonable for a crypt. Around here we pay $150 for a regular gelding procedure!

I'm still waiting on a two year old to drop, and just brought home two yearling with nothing felt or visable. I'm always waiting until they are an honest two to three for them to drop around here with the exception of a couple.

Your vet is giving you a deal, around here it is $260 for a normal gelding in the field, and if a crip they must be done in the hosp., and it is $1000 just to walk in the door. So if you sell geldings around here the price needs to go up, problem is in this market no one wants to pay for it. I think geldings are the greatest! Shame so many mini people don't appreciate them.

Thanks alot everyone! That makes me feel alot better.
default_biggrin.png
I will wait.

Thanks,

Casey

That makes me feel some better too. I have one that will be 2 June 12th. He FINALLY dropped ONE last week. Can't really feel another. Hope we don't have to wait til he's 3. He's a real little nasty now. Before he was the nicest little man to handle and show. He has my number (I am 5' and timid-like) and he rears up at me and walks on his hind legs. I can't get in and halter him! My husband handles him now. He pulls it with him; but hubby doesn't let him get away with bad manners. I hope he doesn't get too unmannerly before we can get him gelded. He is also in a paddock of his own now (since about 2-3 months ago, vet's suggestion) as he played "stud horse" one too many times on the geldings and one of them kicked him and he had 11 stitches! Never had so much trouble in the past with colts-boy oh boy!!!

Performancemini , I know this is off topic, but I wouldn't let him get away with that. He knows what buttons to push with you now and it it will only get worse as he matures.

I would stall him and go in with a riding crop. YOU be the only one who feeds and waters him. If he rears, or turns his butt on you, pop him with the crop - stomp on the ground and yell. (I've never whipped a horse, just made them feel like the earth was going to fall around them.) Oh,, and NEVER pop them near the head.

I've had to do this with a couple of silly colts. I actually went in with their grain and had to discipline them, walked back out without them being grained. Waited a few hours and went back in. It was baby steps but they got rewarded.

Your colt already recognizes your husband as the male Alpha. Now you have to be respected as the FEMALE Alpha. Every herd has one.

My boy has only just dropped his second one now and he is just 2, just like Jax both testicles were present at birth. As soon as they were both down he changed character and turned into a little jerk, I have to enter his stall with a whip and walk him to his field with one too as he gets over excited, he hasn't received the whip yet but he will if he doesn't chill out a bit. sighhhhhh the joy of boys
default_smile.png

<p>Thanks for letting me take a little piece of the original poster's topic. I guess I know what to do; but have trouble initiating it. I am too soppy. I hate to keep him stalled and alone; but I guess it's for his and our own goods. Everyone said the same about carrying a whip or crop and using it if necessary the correct way. I will have to clinch up my courage and do it! Thanks all! (P.S. I have always been the main "chore" person, etc.)

performancemini- it will only take one or two times to get him to respect you. If he doesnt now, he is not going to as a gelding either and is growing up with just all around bad manners and crappy attitude. You are allowing him to become dangerous by not correcting him.

If your kids were in the living room playing with a book of matches on the carpet, would you allow it? Horses are just like kids- sometimes they need to be corrected.

Oh I hope my colt dosn't get that bad... Right now he is just a bit pushy and when excited will think he can just run me over and he also of course bites, but not too often. Everytime he tries to run me over or bite, I yell and "try to look real big" and make him back away, works well. I just cant wait until he is a gelding, he will be a great one to show as he likes to please. Just right now his horomones get in the way...

Casey

That makes me feel some better too. I have one that will be 2 June 12th. He FINALLY dropped ONE last week. Can't really feel another. Hope we don't have to wait til he's 3. He's a real little nasty now. Before he was the nicest little man to handle and show. He has my number (I am 5' and timid-like) and he rears up at me and walks on his hind legs. I can't get in and halter him! My husband handles him now. He pulls it with him; but hubby doesn't let him get away with bad manners. I hope he doesn't get too unmannerly before we can get him gelded. He is also in a paddock of his own now (since about 2-3 months ago, vet's suggestion) as he played "stud horse" one too many times on the geldings and one of them kicked him and he had 11 stitches! Never had so much trouble in the past with colts-boy oh boy!!!
Please make him behave for you NOW... Being a stallion should NEVER be any sort of "excuse" for poor behavior. Stallions are still horses, just like geldings are... And should be even MORE well behaved than a gelding. It's a misconception that stallions can be more rowdy.

Zoey3-thank you for allowing me to "horn in" on your topic! Disneyhorse: I did what you said and wallah! in one time-respect! Opened the stall door with my Clint Anderson kid-size stick and string in hand (christmas gift from my horsey sister) and when he flirted his head with ears pinned, I growled out-'knock it off' and he allowed me to halter him (didn't need the stick/string). I had also put a lead with a chain under his chin on the halter. When I went to go out of the stall he pinned his ears and started to hustle HIS way out. I popped him twice quick and snapped 'Whoa! Stand!". Boy did those eyes pop open and he froze in his tracks. Then he got to thinkin' a little and proceeded out nicely when I (I) asked him too. I also gave myself a talking to-he's getting bad mannered-whether he's a stallion, colt or gelding-it's still bad manners-handle it!!! And I did. Thanks!!!

Attitude is 60% of it, the rest is follow through. Good job a d keep it up!

My 3 year old stallion had one dropped at about 2 then I had wait for the other to drop until he was almost 3. A late maturer but his attitude only slighly changed once both were dropped. We have had him since 4 months old and being able to raise him to our standards was a great thing. He will test me but once put in check hes the calmest most well behaved horse. Just yesterday I pulled him out of the stall, and my 2 four year old cousins took turns riding him bareback with me leading him. Afterwards they took turns leading them all around the barn by themselves and it was the sweetest thing. He had his head lowered and not once did his head past their shoulders or give them one bit of trouble! So you cant blame bad behavior on them being a stallion.... its how they were raised, trained, and are handled.

Latest posts

Back