Yearling colt -- likes to rear up and put his legs

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bluerocket

Reaction score
[SIZE=12pt]Help:[/SIZE]

Don't know what to do.

Our barn has wire filled gates for stall walls and fronts - all horses can see all other horses.

Our yearling colt has a bad habit that I can't figure out how to correct. When I am bringing horses in or putting them out, and he is in his stall, he will rear up and hang his legs over the top of the sides of his stall and just stand there.

Its like he has to see what is going on -- and won't just look out the gates.

He is the shortest horse in the barn -- and is very much the teenager who has discovered sex (no he has not bred anyone - and won't -- but he sure would LIKE to). He is totally fascinated with every female AND every male that goes past his stall.

Any suggestions on what I SHOULD do to correct this?

Thanks in advance for your help.

JJay

I think I would put a halter on him and tie him in his stall during the time you are taking horses in and out. Do not tie him too long, but tie him high and short and not facing the isle way either.

If that does not work, then take him out of his stall during this time and tie him somewhere else, but tie him.

Good luck!

Beth

Maybe Dona (Kickapoo) will come on and post a picture of her stallion that does this.

Is he bothering any of the horses as they go by, or is he just watching? Are you afraid he is going to jump out or hurt himself on the gates?

My one gelding has to see everyone eating so he puts his front feet in his feeder, looks around, jumps back down and continues his meal. It is just something he does, and I do not worry about it. Just had to have the husband brace the bottom of his feeder as he cracked the first one. LOL

Have you tried putting him in the his stall last and see how he reacts. Maybe he just likes a parade. LOL

I have a stallion who does the same thing. He is only 27" & simply HAS to see what's going on at all times! :lol: He CAN see over the doors (as they are pretty low)...but guess that's not good enough for him. :lol:

He was 12 years old when I bought him....so it was a very ingrained habit by then.
default_rolleyes.gif
: I worried at first he was going to hurt himself, but he seems to know what he's doing, and nothing I could do would stop him. He even has callouses on the backs of his legs from doing this so much.
default_wacko.png
:

f3d353ef.jpg

f3d353f4.jpg

I don't know what to do about that because Timmy does it and just a few days ago his baby brother started that too.

Finally one day Timmy just hurled himself and jumped over and landed hard upside down and I guess it scared him half to death so he hasn't tried to jump over since, but he still does have to get up like that and look at everyone coming in or going out. Anticipation I guess. That's the only time he does it, that I know about anyhow. Lord give me strength to survive stud colts.

With the wire gates you have I think I might just back them up with a piece of plywood possibly if you think he's going to eventually get stuck or hurt on it, or replace it with a higher wooden gate maybe and then just make a window covered with mesh in it.

Thanks for the suggestions --- I guess I will start out trying the "tie him up" one first- if that does not work - may try Marty's suggestion - although I think covering the sides and front may make him do it more - because he won't be able to "see" at all - but it sure would not hurt to try the suggestion.

Comforting to know there are others out there doing the same thing (or similar).
default_wacko.png
:

He does it to hang over the side partition (his best buddy is in there) - but not to visit with the buddy - but rather to watch the others.

Will try cross tieing in the stall for now.
default_yes.gif
:

Thanks again to all of you.

JJay

Latest posts

Back