YAY! My computer is faster!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KanoasDestiny

Reaction score
My computer has been getting slower and slower, and I was worried that I would need to take it in to the shop to have some memory freed or something. By shear luck, I decided to defragment it yesterday (the last time it was done was in August '08). It took at least seven hours - it was still going when I went to bed - but this morning, it's like I have a whole new computer. YAY! I will be doing this regularly for now on. Does anyone know exactly what it is to defragment your computer? It didn't erase anything did it?

I started typing out a reply explaining defragmentation in the way it was explained to me, but I can't get that to come out without it being confusing, so here is a link that explains it well.... http://www.ehow.com/facts_4914165_what-does-defragmenting-do.html. It doesn't erase anything; it only reorganizes what is there.
default_yes.gif
Glad your computer is speedy again!

Thanks! My brother asked me weeks ago if I've done it, and of course I hadn't. I decided to do it yesterday, and then he tells me that he himself has never done it. Gee thanks for telling me AFTER the fact. Lol. But it seems to have worked.
default_smile.png

Not running a "clean-up" tool for 5 years certainly could have an impact on performance. Not to mention, 5 years is an awfully long time to run the same machine in a world where "they" want you to upgrade or buy new stuff really, really often. ...I love computers but in some ways I'm starting to hate the technology.
default_thumbdown.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
I had no idea that I had to run another clean-up. I regularly do a disk cleanup, and clear cookies/history. I can't believe how smoothly it runs now. Thank goodness I didn't have to spend money to have a professional clean it.
default_smile.png

Latest posts

Back