Wow hes tall!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ferrah

Reaction score
I suspected my new Mini Spider would get on the tall side, but I never expected him to outgrow his papers. We finished doing the transfers today and we measured the horses. Spider measured 33"! He is a year and six months old and already 33" tall! He is registered AMHA, do you think he will outgrow his papers? His mother is 34" on the button and his sire is 29.75". Spider is not bum high right now, what are the odds that he will outgrow his papers? He does have one granddam who was 37".

After measuring Spider, who was taller than I expected I cringed when we measured Cinnabar his little brother. He is 26" exactly, and 28" at the bum. Cinnabar is five months old. Do you think he will outgrow his papers too? He does look a lot more like his dad than Spider, Spider looks more like his 34" mom than his dad. Both horses are not yet gelded, if this helps.

Please let me know if you think either of them will outgrow their papers, as I will then need to start scraping and saving to get one or both AMHR registered.

EDIT: I accidentally said both horses are not yet gelded, but I meant to say that only Cinnabar has not been gelded yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
On the 33" one, yah I'm going to say he will more than likely outgrow his AMHA papers. But you never know some get a growth spurt and than stop growing. The other one should stay small.

I bought a yearling filly and she was offically measured at 33 when I bought her...she is 2 now and 37.5 tall
new_shocked.gif

Just my experience

She is the one on my aviator

Last edited by a moderator:
I know of a couple lines that get all their height within their first year.....I know they were 33 at 1 year and now at 5 years plus are just uner 34 or right at 34....so it depends on the family in my opinion

I am going to gues yes! But I gues there is a slight chance, if he has allready had all his growth spurts, its possible he will stop growing (even though most horses grow untill 3) at 2 and only grow a 1/2 of inch between, but most horses grow 3'' taller after there 1 year mark!

I would not be surprised if he did!

-Gage-

I agree that it depends on the bloodlines. Some mature very fast....others mature slowly. I had a few who were completely done growing at 1 1/2 years old. But I know of others who continued to grow until 3 or 4!

As for your little one....I don't think you have anything to worry about. I've had quite a few who were 27" at only 3 months old...who matured WELL under 34".
yes.gif
(and one matured at 30.5")!

No gauranteesof anything when they are that tall that soon but I have seen them stay under when they are that tall.

Like it has been said it depends on so many. If you know the growth patterns of siblings or other get of similar lines that may help you but in the end you will just have wait and see.

Also, get the feet trimmed and get them warm and loosened up by maybe lunging or letting them out to paly and then try to measure again.

Latest posts

Back