would you use this stallion

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dreammountainminis

Reaction score
Would you use this stallion for breeding and showing ???? Opinions please He is homozygous for black and lwo +, He has a puppy dog personality Is 33 inches tall he is a grandson of both rowdy and e.k and also has ayers mini red man and NfC's rowdy's impressive and nfc's egyptian kings velvet love . These pics are not the greatest but they are the best ones that I could find , and he is on uneven ground.

This is not the best pic it is from may and he is very dirty and not cleaned up or stood correctly this is right from the field..The 2005 pics are him as a weanling and the 2007 pics are 2yr old pics he will be three in april..

2yr old pic not cleaned and not stood correctly

may07pics032.jpg

weanling pics ( 5 months old)

000_0263-1.jpg

000_0261.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Is the date on the pictures correct? If so, do you have recent pictures of him?

It is so hard to tell "Stallion/Breeding quality" on a young horse... it's a gamble. They may mature differently than you anticipate. You can show him and see how he shows and matures and then make a decision.

Basing on his conformation alone, he's got an extremely weak hip which is undesirable in miniatures today, because so many of them have that fault.

Also, what will you be showing/breeding for? Halter horses? Driving horses? or just color alone?

Andrea

When breeding animals you always want to strive to breed the best. To correct faults and not perpetuate them.

This picture is three years old and it is hard to tell what he has turned out to be, but first, I would agree that he has a very week hip. He is long in the body, so he is not balanced and his head is plain too. His neck is refined in this picture which is good, but does not tie into his shoulder as well as it could. You have to over stretch his hind legs to get a proper top line. His legs look straight in this picture which is also good.

His color; most horses that are mostly white with a few color patches,produce mostly white with a few color patches.

We, in this breed, have an over abundance of stallions and most of them should be gelded. There is nothing wrong with showing geldings and more breeders should encourage people to geld their boys unless they are a good specimen of the breed. Geldings are so much easier to show too.

I am not trying to be mean here, just give you an honest opinion and to help you see what others can see and what judges are looking for.

I agree with the other replies about the hip, I also agree about him having a plain head. I actually think his length of body is OK. Personally I would not use him as a stallion. He is just not my cup of tea. I don't think he is bad, and I don't think you should go out and geld him just because "most stallions should be gelded." What do YOU want him for? Does he serve YOUR purpose? That is what is important. If you aren't going to offer him to outside mares then it really doesn't matter if I would use him for a stud, as long as you like him. If your question is intended to help you decide on weather to campaign him as a stud or not, then you just have to put a lot of thought in that. Here are a couple questions you might want to ask....

Are stallions readily available within a reasonable driving distance of your area?

If so, what is their quality, compared you your studs?

If I was looking for a stud, i would look for the best quality within my means. Lots of factors would play a role: distance, price, breeding terms, etc. I will say that in my area there are a handful of studs that I think have overall stronger confirmation than your guy, and the stud fees are reasonable.

Great coloring, not sure about stallion prospect though

Cricket... it is not too late to ask, even if the stallion has bred mares. They are being brave and asking for an opinion, which can be very hard to take on a public forum.

Everyone needs to learn to look objectively at their breeding stock, and learn how to make better breeding decisions as time goes on so they do not keep breeding inferior or less-than-average or even average horses.

Andrea

I am here for learning ,you learn new things every day , I have bred two of my own mares to him as that was my decision .

I do not advertise him for breeding outside mares , I am just asking for opinions . This stallion has not been condtioned very much as my father has been sick and I dont get time to go out and work him very much , I have shown him in liberty and color classes . He has done very well in liberty as I have him hand signal trained ..

He has never had a neck sweat or anything on do you think If I could condition him and sweat him that would help some of his faults ???

He has never had a neck sweat or anything on do you think If I could condition him and sweat him that would help some of his faults ???
Help his faults yes for showing ; no for what he will pass on to his foals.
default_yes.gif

I think he'd look nicer all conditioned up with a bit more muscle to him
default_yes.gif

In addition to the weak hip he is camped out behind. No amount of conditioning will help the camped out conformation, nor will it do anything to add length to that hip.

I like his color and the shortness of his head.

The negative thing that jumps out at me primarily is his hind leg conformation. The other faults to my eyes are not as material as what I don't like about his hind legs. He appears to possibly toe out in the front, and I don't care for his neck tie in.

Personally, I wouldn't use him for halter or breeding, but he could do well in lots of other things
default_yes.gif

Every horse has its weaknesses and strengths. Your horse's weakness is his backend (not uncommon). What you need to do is find mares that compiment his strengths and weaknesses.

Actually, many of our most famous horses in our industry have poor backends. Their owners just know how to cross them on the right mares.

As for showing, he's going to win and he's going to lose. It all depends upon the judge.

Good luck.

Nice little guy.
default_smile.png
Love his color.

As far as breeding, I wouldn't use him. He would be a stallion I would pass over when stallion shopping. His hind end is weak (as most have said on here) and he doesn't have the prettiest head. But like Freezin B Cold said, it takes the right mare to make an exceptional foal. I took a chance breeding my stallion with an average mare. The baby got all my stallions body, but got her blocky head. So you have to take a chance sometimes. But I would personally geld him and have fun! Lots of nice stallion prospects out there.

As far as showing, he needs lots of conditioning. Needs muscle to him. And when it comes to showing, you find the horses niche. I show all my horses in the events they excel at. But if you work hard enough, you can have a great all around horse. He may also show better as a gelding than as a stallion with the proper conditioning.

Good luck with him!
default_biggrin.png

Latest posts

Back