Would you show him? Mane/tail questions

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HJF

Reaction score
I have a question about my gelding, Mr...

Would you show him with his mane/tail like this? He lost all his hair back in the winter when he was real sick (I mean he was totally bald lol) I'm wanting to show him so bad though and just for fun (not serious) would you show him AMHA/AMHR? I can get his mane to finally lay down on its own but the tail still looks pretty bad..to me at least. He's in the AMHR futurity, but not sure about that...I've started working him and put him up and got a neck sweat on him too.

I only have a few pictures of him tied up after clipping. I didn't want to give him a bath because it was raining all day, and the clippers wouldn't go through his dirty body..so I'm going to finish body clipping him tomorrow and get better pictures.

mr007.jpg

mr018.jpg

mr005.jpg

His full mane...it's all greasy because it has MTG on it..

mr008.jpg

To me it doesnt look that bad actually! Would be better just a FEW more inchs but seriously it doenst look all that bad. He is such a handsome man, love his face and expression!
default_wub.png
: Keep us updated!

He looks GREAT Julia!!

Really, I don't think the tail is that bad........Sunny (now owned by Jill) one year had a tail not much (if any longer than Mr's is now)........went on to Res. National Champion that year. One of his pasture buddies ate it off
default_rolleyes.gif
:

I even know some judges who really dislike the long bushy tails as it covers up what's important (legs)....Mr has good straight legs so I wouldn't be worried.

I know of a whole line of shetlands who don't grow hardly any mane or tail really........all are Congress Grand Champions so I think it isn't a huge deal, he's going to look awesome next year as a Senior.

Go for it! I remember seeing him when he was so bald and felt badly for him. I'm glad to see him all furred up, and he really does not look that bad as to mane and tail length.
default_smile.png

Liz M.

It does not look bad at all, we showed a mare last year at Nationals that didn't have much more tail than that, she rubbed it all off thru out the summer. He is looking good! Show him and have fun!

I'd show him. Gel down the mane and forelock with some hair gel and he'll look great. You can add some to the top of his tail too so it's not as obvious also. Joyce

He looks GREAT Julia!!

Really, I don't think the tail is that bad........Sunny (now owned by Jill) one year had a tail not much (if any longer than Mr's is now)........went on to Res. National Champion that year. One of his pasture buddies ate it off
default_rolleyes.gif
:

I even know some judges who really dislike the long bushy tails as it covers up what's important (legs)....Mr has good straight legs so I wouldn't be worried.

I know of a whole line of shetlands who don't grow hardly any mane or tail really........all are Congress Grand Champions so I think it isn't a huge deal, he's going to look awesome next year as a Senior.
Yeah, I can't wait until next year to show him in the 30-32 class
default_smile.png

I've already been ground driving him for a couple of months to give him something to do and he's just so easy to work with and a lot of fun.

joyenes, I use Moisture Max on them to get their hair down, I just don't have any on him in the pictures, just MTG.

When I showed Q.H. ALOT of people had tail extentions. I'm not sure if they would work for minis or not or even if they are legal.

Of course i would show him lol. he looks really good. something i do with my mare when her mane was short . i did but that mane and tail stuff in it , but i left it alone , i never touched it inless she was going in a a parade or somthing, and then i hardly touched it , now her main is long and pretty, oh and now what i do before the day of a show is i put a hoody on her( lol its red and her blanket is green so she is a chirstmas horse) anyways it flatens the mane and it keeps the shape for a long time. good luck . just leave it mane alone.

You got him looking good!!!!!!

I say go for it!!! :bgrin :bgrin :bgrin

He's an awesome horse. I have a picture of him in my bedroom running with DunIT
default_wub.png
:

What a beautiful little horse! And I wouldn't hesitate to show him!

After his bath & for a few days before he shows keep a neck wrap on him and a slinky hood. The heat from his body will cause that mane to lay flat. (if it's real thick you might have to under cut some, but from the pix doesn't look like it's too thick.) Then use an oil product on it for the show ring.....water might make it 'lift' again so you won't want to get it wet unless you can put a mane tamer over it till he shows.

On the tail, about an hour before showing brush tail with a wet brush till tail is damp and hair is as straight as you can get it then put a fleece tail wrap on starting the wrap at the top and wrapping down the tail as far as you can. Leave that on till just before going into the ring. That will help to straighten the hair and eliminate bushiness. After removing the wrap you can use a light oil spray to keep bushiness to a minimum. But again no water or you will lose the 'straightning' effect.

Here is a pic of our Red just after she went PtHA Res World Champion. She had been living in the round pen in the day time and had rubbed her mane totally out in some places. This had about 6 weeks growth and the short hairs were sticking up like cactus! I did the neck wrap and slinky hood thing with her. And if you look closely you can see her tail is badly rubbed out too. Bushy at the top with little strings below. :eek: I did the tail wrap thing too and she looked great.

RedHead.jpg

(Can you tell? Her show career was an unplanned thing until we sent a client show horse home and had a stall available)

Good luck with your boy! I bet he looks gorgeous!

Charlotte

Charlotte - I love your tip on reducing the "bushiness" of the tail. Can you show me what you mean by fleece tail wrap and how it goes on? I know some quarter horse people we show with use vet wrap, would that work the same? My daughter's show pony has a VERY thick and full tail. A little too full, but I'm not complaining!

Also, is the MTG working? I've been applying it to one of our horse's tails for 2 weeks and no new growth yet that I can see.

11539836_348.ts1182799644694.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Charlotte - I love your tip on reducing the "bushiness" of the tail. Can you show me what you mean by fleece tail wrap and how it goes on? I know some quarter horse people we show with use vet wrap, would that work the same? My daughter's show pony has a VERY thick and full tail. A little too full, but I'm not complaining!

Also, is the MTG working? I've been applying it to one of our horse's tails for 2 weeks and no new growth yet that I can see.

11539836_348.ts1182799644694.jpg
I think the MTG is working good (for me) I used it all over his body when he was bald and he started growing fuzz and then patches of hair. I also use BOSS and Biotin (recommended by our vet) on him too though.

I would go for it. They must look past the hair (like the instance where the horses buddies ate it- hey, crap happens) and look at HIM.
default_yes.gif
:

Hi,

I agree with showing him. I have seen trainers show horses with tails that short that have been obviously chewed on by another , and win! As for the mane it looks good and have again seen exhibitors who "pull" the manes on their horses that length to enhance the neck.

Good luck with him and have fun!

Yes i agree with everyone.... go for it!

Lovely mini, i wish you the best of luck.

Kylie. :aktion033:

Latest posts

Back