Would you all share pics of your preggo mares who are 5-6 months along?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lucky-C-Acres-Minis

Reaction score
Was going to ask on the main forum but figured since I'm just going to use them for comparison and don't actually have a 'question' it wouldn't "fit" the main forum.. Anywho, looking for pics of mares around 5-6 month mark to compare to a couple of my gals who are 5-6 months along.. Thanks in advance!

Well, IF she took this past season, she should be 6-7 months along (pending which month she took) currently. She was maiden up until this season, so this will be her first foal. I've noticed very little change to be honest other then a little extra tummy. She is also only 29''. But then agian, this is also her first time in foal and she is 6 years old. She has always naturally been a slim mare, never stops going ..i call her the energizer bunny.

Photos from yesterday 12/25/2007

Schocie2.jpg

Scochie.jpg

Deeds.jpg

Deeds2.jpg

Thanks Leanna! The two girls I'm comparing are 32" and 33" respectively (mother/daughter) They're just not quite as big as I expected them to be.. Over the past week they've seemed to 'gain' a few extra pounds and are starting to look rounder but still not quite what I'd expect.. The one mare is carrying her third and the other is on her 6th baby, but only their second for us.. The first mare was covered 3 times during her 30 day post foaling heat and never returned in heat, the second mare was covered on her foal heat, returned in heat on her 30 day post foaling heat, was covered again and has not returned in heat.. Maybe I'm just being paranoid! lol

/albums/aa190/minimajik69/NeatNNicesMorningStar-AKA-STAR13yro.jpg Star is just about 5 1/2 months Preg. I am really looking forward to see this Foal !!! minimajik62

Last edited by a moderator:
I could send you photos of mares who are open who look as if they are ready to foal any moment and photos of mares who are vet confirmed 6 months in foal whom who you would swear are open. Truly the only way to know is to have them vet checked.

In fact, we just had a 5 year old "maiden" mare pregnancy checked a couple of weeks ago - we had 4 individuals who guessed based on how she looked that she was definitely in foal and yet she vet checked as open.

Over the years, these mares have sure surprised me many many times - both ways. I hope your girls are in foal for you!

I agree with Getitia - the only way to tell for sure is to have them checked. We have 2 mares that WERE vet checked (both were ultrasounded and one was also tested with the Pregnamare kit) and are due late May and early June 2008. They would make them about 6 months pregnant now, but neither looks much different than our OPEN mare who had the false pregnancy last year. Because of that experience, we don't want to over feed these mares if they somehow lost their foals, so we are getting them checked again using the Wee Foal urine tests. No more staying home (and awake) for weeks watching a mare that shows all the signs but isn't pregnant!

well here is my mare who was bred in march and april. I figure she took on april so if so she is 6 months along in this picture.

ba.jpg

Alisha

P.S. sorry its soo big. can't get it to resize

My mare is now 7-8 Months along (no Pic) But she is getting a little Belly on her but the Real weight doesn't come on intel the Last 2 Months.

You've already seen this A&R girl at 9 months along, but here she is at the 5-6 month mark..

And yes,.. she is definatly in foal, I felt baby bouncing around inside 2 days ago.
default_rolleyes.gif

mariahstretch.jpg

Beautiful preg mares.
default_aktion033.gif

Rayne at 6 mths along, however she's Small Horse, 35".

new_27thAug.jpg

I completely agree with Getitia. We have lots of mares that fool us. Last year we had one mare that was so huge and we had her up with the preggers and she was fed all the special feed and got a nice baby bump. A month past her due date and she had no bag and I called it quits. NO BABY!! and then I had fed her so much that she was just a chub and I decided to put her on a diet and wait until this year to breed her instead of wasting mine and the stallion's time.

Had another mare that I just knew for sure was pregnant. She was in one of the special foaling stalls in the barn and my grandpa asked me, "What is she doing in here? She's not pregnant." She definitely did not look like she was just about to give birth. The next day she had a beautiful 19" chestnut pinto filly.

I would have your girls vet checked if you want to know for sure. I have about 30 mares so I usually just wait it out. I tested 4 mares this year with some of those Wee equine foal testers because 2 were outside mares and the other 2 were leaving to be bred for 08' and my friend wanted to know for sure if she needed to foal them out too. All positives! YAY!

Latest posts

Back