Worms?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HollynIvysMomma

Reaction score
Hi all!

So, not too long ago, we clipped one of my yearling mares, Ivy. Once the fuzzies were gone, we noticed we could see some of her ribs. We have not clipped Holly yet. She shed the longest hairs out, and her face, but the rest of her is still kinda fuzzy.

I'm pretty confident the girls get enough to eat. They have free choice hay, and are fed protein grain (half in the morning, and half in the afternoon), and they get some grass. We worm them every three months. The last time was the end of May.

So, here are my questions:

Do you think the slow shedding and the body condition is part of being yearlings, or could it be worms?

And if this is atypical for yearlings and more likely worms, can I worm them again before the three months is up?

As always, thank you for your help!
10271570_10102507867425433_3882538775554096626_n.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Some of mine are being quite stubborn this year shedding off too. I actually did give them an extra de-worming with Equimax to get the tapes and also to see if by any chance it would get more of that hair to turn loose.......it usually does but nope, not this time so out came the clippers. I also find that the young ones are the worst to shed and always require clipping. They begin to shed and then just stop. Its annoying.

This year I clipped my minis in March for a show so they are looking super sleek now. My neighbors minis are still a bit shaggy. I have heard some minis have a hard time shedding out and sometimes you have to help them.

Have you had their teeth checked? I know I sound like a broken record on this topic but I've seen so many things that are tooth related. A friend of mine had her horses' teeth done by the equine dentist. One was older, about 18, and had a poor topline and his coat wasn't good. After his teeth were done, his top line improved and his coat looked much better. His feed was just the same.

IMO, an equine dentist is better than a vet for the little horses. Vets generally don't have the correct tools to work on little horses, and they just "make do".

Also, I would have a fecal count done before doing any more parasite treatments.

I clip my horses. By the time they shed out completely in the summer, they are already beginning to grow winter hair.

Have you had their teeth checked? I know I sound like a broken record on this topic but I've seen so many things that are tooth related. A friend of mine had her horses' teeth done by the equine dentist. One was older, about 18, and had a poor topline and his coat wasn't good. After his teeth were done, his top line improved and his coat looked much better. His feed was just the same.

IMO, an equine dentist is better than a vet for the little horses. Vets generally don't have the correct tools to work on little horses, and they just "make do".

Also, I would have a fecal count done before doing any more parasite treatments.

I clip my horses. By the time they shed out completely in the summer, they are already beginning to grow winter hair.
LOL, you don't sound at all like a broken record to me (btw - that saying will leave the younger generation scratching their heads since many won't ever see a record in their lifetime
default_rolleyes.gif
) You sound more like an echo
default_wink.png
since that is exactly what I advised. It is IMO excellent advice and should (again in my opinion) be a first step for anyone who is unhappy with their horses appearance.

Thanks all!

I brushed Holly (the unclipped one) forEVER today and her hair IS coming loose and shedding, but it is taking too long. SO, we clipped her today, and I was actually pretty pleased with what was under the coat. What do you think? (She is getting a bath in this pic)

10336622_10102577987609023_1506777921470339661_n.jpg

Its hard to tell in that picture but she doesn't really look thin in it to me. Her belly looks a bit big but some yearlings seem to go that way for a while. Still, you will have a better idea of how her coat looks looks now that its clipped, is it looking healthy or is is dry and drab?

Back