Worming

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShelleyS

Reaction score
Molly has bots on when we got her so on this past Monday I wormed her. I can't remember the name of the stuff I wormed her with, but it was in packets (I have one left at home) and was sprinkled on her feed. My question is... How long after their wormed do the bots go away? I'm wondering if she needs wormed again or if there's something I can do specifically for the bots.

I have never used a dry wormer in a package before -- what was it?

I personally use IVERMECTIN on my minis for bots -- During Bot Season I deworm my minis monthly (I choose to doubledose them each time as well) -- and one month beyond -- also --- I try to remove the bot eggs off their bodies -- using scissors or a bot knife -- I am not always successful in removing them all.

I am not a veterinarian -- I am an owner of 12 minis --- You might check with your vet as to what he/she recommends for yours.

JJay

It sounds like you are referring to the little yellow bot eggs. Those are not going away with de-worming. The de-worming will only take care of those inside (& also biting lice, just FYI...added: can be helpful, depending on when given & amount of investation
wacko.gif
))

Those little yellow eggs should be removed as they hatch, are ingested sometimes and then become a worm infestation inside. These are reasons why de-worming is important on a regular and continuing basis to control parasites that can be continually picked up by the horse.

A recent thread gave info as to several ways to remove the bot eggs. You might want to search that out. Also, after the first hard frost, many of the eggs/larvae are destroyed for the winter season which means you have lower incidence of these things being re-introduced for the winter. So, be sure that you use a dewormer for bots after that "happens" to help clear the horses system of the parasite.

I'm sure others will offer more helpful info, which we have all gleaned from years of experience in dealing with these constant maintenance needs of the horses.

Last edited by a moderator:
It is right that the de-wormer only gets rid of what is on the inside and you should get the eggs you see off the horse. I found the easiest way is to just clip them off, like with horse clippers.

I had only one horse with bot eggs this year and i used a bot knife. i have used the clippers before to get them off too. we time it to de-worm after first frost to get bots as then most flies are killed and you will not get any more new bot eggs to be ingested.

jennifer
saludando.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you just scrap them off with the bot knife? I've never used one. I will try one as she's not covered in them. Some on the side of her belly and legs.

I'd have to check when I get home what the name of the wormer was that I used. I got it at the feed store and the lady said it was a "good one."

The "packet" wormer is likely to have been Panacur which is Fenbendazole and will not kill Bots- you need and Ivermectin based, paste wormer to do this. I have never personally worried about bot eggs- I know many do but, since I am worming for Bots anyway I cannot see that the eggs are a worry. You can scrape them off with a bot knife if they bother you but I can tell you it is an open ended and thakless task! You need to deworm every eight weeks and DO NOT USE QUEST!!!!

Hey Shelley. JMHO but I rotate wormers. Most of us use the paste wormers in tubes. There are alot of them out there but there are 2 very important things to remember.

ONE never use Quest

Two use any ivermectin wormer at "least" twice a year.

I don't sweat the bot eggs on their hair unless there are alot of them. I was lucky this year and there were not very many.

I rotate wormers every 8 wks for horses one year and older. For new horses I give panacur or safeguard or strongid the first time then follow up in 4 wks with ivermectin of one brand or another. Then it's 8 wks worm again with strongid or panacur or safeguard. For foals I worm every 4-6 weeks until they are a yearling alternating wormers.

You are a super new mini mom. I am very glad to see you asking so many questions and learning.

I'd like to say to my forum family how proud I am of all the help we continue to give both regular and new members. I've noticed alot of newbies and I like to think we help with everything from what brush to use to what wormer to use to how to help until a vet comes to farrier trims to treats and toys.

MaryLou, I love this place and this forum is a wonderful resource.

Debs,

Thank you for the kind words. You are right... I've not posted a question (and I've had quite a few) that I haven't gotten numerous responses to. I certainly appreciate all the advise I'm getting from the forum members!

Pixie just turned three months on the 4th. I haven't wormed her cause I thought I needed to wait until she was 4-6 months old. Is this not right? She doesn't have bots on her, but her Mama does.

As for Molly's worming... Since I just wormed her with this stuff (will check the brand when I get home and post) on Monday... Shouldn't I wait 4 weeks to worm her again? Honestly, I don't know that she's been being wormed regularly. I'll have to call the couple I bought her from and ask. She gave me all her paperwork, as far as registration information but there wasn't any vaccination records in there and at the time, I didn't think to ask about them. They are very, very sweet couple so I have no problem calling and asking. This elderly couple I bought them from had 6 all together. They were the husband's mini's, he was the one that wanted them and looks after them. However, he now has terminal cancer and is only buying time right now, so he knew he needed to start getting rid of some since his wife can't care for that many. They had a nice big pasture, barn, pond... a really nice set up for them. I know they enjoyed watching them but I don't know just how much personal interaction they got. I've noticed just since we've had them that they've both settled down quite a bit. I could be wrong about all this cause really, for all I know the couple handled them daily. But I kind of doubt it.

I can say for a fact that NOW they're getting loads of attention! I can't keep Savannah out of the barn! I'm surprised she's not moved her bed down there with them! She's in love.

So I'm straight and not confused on the worming issue.... If I give Molly the Ivermectin every 8 weeks, is that okay? Why does a person need to rotate? And for Pixie, the three month old, I should start her when on Ivermectin? And then continue ever 4-6 weeks until she's a year old.

One final question... Molly was bred back on July 18. I continue worming her up to how long before foaling?

I need to get with my vet about all the vaccinations they need and when (after I confirm what they've had already, if any). I don't have a trailer though and so getting them in there will be a pain in the butt. Molly doesn't load well at all! I live 30 miles from my vet so having him come to the house would cost too much.

We get bot eggs some years more then others this year l've only seen a few of the stallions with them so when l see them l use coarse sandpaper to get as many as l can and never kiss anyone in the fall as they attach to the inside of the mouth before they travel on . After the first good killing frost we use a paste that kills bots for all the horses and repeat it again in Dec. some people do that every third time they worm all year. We do it this way on the advice we got from different vets for our area.

Ok Shelley, after you see just what it is you gave Molly we'll see. At 3 mos Pixie is ready for some panacur or strongid or safeguard. I'd guesstimate about #200 worth the first time. If she has a worm load you don't want to stress her out by over doing it initially. In about 2 wks you could do a 5 day panacur but others know more about this than I. I just worm babies every 4 wks and mom's every 8 wks. Using Ivermectin every 8 wks is unnessessary. Buy a tube of ivermectin and a tube of one of the others. Use one then the other alternating. This kills any left overs that didn't die with the first wormer. Follow me? Sometimes you have to really keep up on them at first to get em all cleaned out. After that it is just maintenance. You can PM me id I'm not making it clear for you. IF you get your vet out to do shots soon he/she can really explain it fully to you. Be sure you let your vet know that minis can get ulcers, they shouldn't use quest wormer, banamine is great for colic, we try not to use bute as it causes tummy ulcers, and butt shots are better in kids, even adults as if they get sore they can still raise and lower their heads to eat and drink.

Worm Molly right up to her foaling date. Owning horse is a big responsibility and expense. If Savannah needed her shots to keep her well I know you wouldn't hesitate to get them. Your new minis need the same care. My vet charged $25 to come 30 miles. Plus the shot charges. It would be good to do this at least the first time. Ask to be shown how to give a shot. Alot of us do it. It saves $$ for sure but you must be confident you can do it. This first vet visit is really reaally important. You also need a farrier to come every 8 wks or so to keep the feet healthy and fit.

Sorry I feel like I'm preaching but horses are my life and I feel if you own em, you pay the price. You are off to a super begining and I know you and your family are in for a long happy time with your new additions.

There is an Ivermectrin pour on feed dose out now......maybe that is what you got.

Latest posts

Back