Worming.................follow on thread

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crystalbank

Reaction score
I read on this board about the dangers of not worming and I thought I'd tell you all about one the the spotted foals I bought recently from a stud.

Pink came two me just a few weeks ago and I paid £1250 for her. The invoice clearly said up to date with worming and tetanus.............and you'd think that between the two studs she came through that one of them really would have wormed her! A well known stud in the UK had her shipped from the breeder for me after I fell in love with a picture of her (I'd been looking for something to breed with in a few years time).

Three days ago Pink began to go down hill VERY rapidly and I called the Vet. When she goes to poop it's just like water and full of worms! The Vet has said absolutely no way had this little girl ever been wormed. I am so cross that I went to the best stud and even they have cut corners..............it all seems to be about money just lately.

Anyway, vet called with results from the bloods and it's not good :DOH!

Her Saa level should be no less than 10............hers is 237!

Her Fibrogin sp? should be 4 at the very top end................hers is 7.7

She also has very low protein levels.

At present she's on a drug to try and bind her up a bit, antibiotics and of course a five day wormer. I have to go to the vets today to pick up steroids, injectable for the first three days. She also has some re hydration tablets for her water, but bless her, she's drinking really well.

She's absolute skin and bone and I'm frightened she won't make it. I have to make sure she has lots of rugs on as her temperature drops so rapidly. I cannot change any of her feed to give her more protein because the diarrhea is so bad and I cannot afford to upset her little tummy much more. Here's a picture of her and you can see the total mess she's in just from her back legs. Underneath those rugs she's like a walking skeleton...........weight seems to be dropping off every minute!

Oh and I contacted the studs about it, her original breeder said she couldn't remember the wormers or programme she used and the second stud gave me abuse via email after my phone call.

18thFeb09046.jpg

Oh the poor baby! I'm so sorry!
default_no.gif

I'll be sending her prayers. {{{{Hugs}}}}

She's gone rapidly down hill this morning and the Vet is on her way. Pink is extremely weak and her breathing is laboured. I've mucked out around her and found those huge white worms - will get a picture shortly.

Will keep you all posted. I'm also considering taking this further with the Stud, but do you think I have a leg to stand on????

Oh no. Please let us know what the vet has to say. That poor little horse.

By the time the vet got here Pink was very week and her eyes had gone very dull. I've done the only thing I could do for her and had her put to sleep.

Vet agreed that she would never have made a come back.

I'm so sad...................and so cross that all this would never have happened if she's had a regular worming programme
default_no.gif

Oh, that's such sad news. She slipped very quickly. Poor little girl, her body fighting off those rotten worms. This has really upset me and I hope you get the answers you need.

May she rest in peace.

xox Leonie xox

What a terrible ordeal.

So sorry you lost your new girl. I would be furious with both the seller and the stud. Wormers are cheap. there is no excuse for cutting corners by not worming other than pure laziness. Personally I think they should refund your money ( and your vet bills)

I know sellers cannot guarantee what happens to an animal after it leaves their property. But not doing things like worming a vaccinations is their fault.

Oh it's horrible. I keep looking at the empty summer house with her little rugs over the door.

The lorry has been to take her body away and I hate that part - so degrading just being thrown on the back of a cold metal lorry.

I won't be replacing her (not that I ever could), but may consider keeping one of this years foals and incorporating part of Pinks name into it's name. Pinks registered name was Barkwith Little Rose Quartz.

I feel for you crystal. I had to watch one of my big guys leave because the ground was too frozen to bury him in the yard, it is heart wrenching. I do hope you speak to a solicitor about this. They are at fault and you were defrauded. If it were me, I would go for what we toss on the barn roof after gelding. Please let us know how you make out and know that all of us on the forum are feeling your loss right along with you. If you have an Animal Cruelty Agency, maybe you can get them in on this. As a previous Animal Control Officer, I would have been more than happy to go after someone like this and make their life miserable. Keep us informed and many hugs to you.

Nancy

Last edited by a moderator:
So sorry for your loss.

Not that it changes the outcome for the little filly, but the horse dealers who provided assurances of "up to date" worming should certainly be responsible for covering your costs, at the very least.

OH NO!!
default_crybaby.gif
I'm SO sorry you lost her!

Please get proof from the vet as to the cause of death with the date on it and then contact the stud! A case of worms like that don't get that bad overnight! They lied to you at the time of sale and they had better refund your money! Don't let this drop.

I'm so sorry
default_sad.png

You showed her more love and care by letting her go than they showed when they had her.

I am so very sorry for your loss.....Something as simple as de-worming, should not be lied about.
default_sad.png

Latest posts

Back