Worming Foals

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Indy's mom

Reaction score
Hi Everyone!
default_saludando.gif

Sorry if this has been asked a hundred times, I just want to be sure!

I wormed Freedom within the first two hours after foaling 6 weeks ago today! So now what? I was told to put Freedom back on her regular worming schedule but what about the colt? Do I just start worming him on a certain schedule, do I get a fecal check done, what???? Don't want to make a mistake with him!

Thanks so much!

Tammy

Which dewormer is usually used for young foals, especially their first few doses? Thanks.

[SIZE=12pt]I worm the dam (1) month prior to foaling and immediately afterwards. Then I worm the foals at 6-8 weeks of age with Safeguard or Panacur[/SIZE] [SIZE=12pt]for first time worming.... and never use Quest on foals or mature miniatures.[/SIZE]

Last edited by a moderator:
Tammy,

We also have always wormed the dam immediately after birth (with ivermectin). This is both good for her AND her foal. At 2 months, we worm the foal with either Panacur or Safeguard. (Some folks will worm as early as 4 weeks. However, we've been informed by vets that the ivermectin at birth is good for the foal for up to 8 weeks.)

After the initial worming, we slip the foal into our regular scheduled wormings for the herd. (We have 65+)

Our usual herd management is.......When each group is pulled in for hoof trimming, they are wormed, and their bridle paths are clipped. The horses tell US to check our records by their bridle paths ALONE!

Last edited by a moderator:
I also worm my mares immediately after they foal, then I first worm the foals at 1 month old with Panacur or Safeguard.

Than I continue to worm my foals every month for the entire first year.....rotating between Strongid & Ivermectin. Once they are a year old, I start worming them along with all the other minis....every other month.

I also worm my mares immediately after they foal, then I first worm the foals at 1 month old with Panacur or Safeguard.
Than I continue to worm my foals every month for the entire first year.....rotating between Strongid & Ivermectin. Once they are a year old, I start worming them along with all the other minis....every other month.
I do the same thing.
default_wink.png

Yep, same here, too
default_yes.gif
:yes
default_yes.gif

Shoot, I thought I had generic Safeguard (fenbendazole) on hand, but its a pyrantel pamoate. Would that work for first dose?

Next question... How much do you dose (or what do you do to make a small enough dose)? The tubes are marked in 300# increments; no problem for the full-size foals I've raised, as they are close enough to 300# for these safe dewormers, but what about a mini foal?

Thank you all for the info!! I will worm him first thing tomorrow!!!! I know I'm a bit late but at least he is in my backyard where no other horses reside or have ever resided! (except his mom of course!)

Tammy

Latest posts

Back