Wormer question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minihorseluver

Reaction score
Ok, I'm taking care of a full sized mare that has bad hoof rot, and hasn't been wormed in a long time. I just picked her up about 3 weeks ago, my vet just shook his head when he saw her, and I wormed her right away when she got here, but she's scratching her tush again. Does this mean that the worms aren't completely gone, or is this just a normal thing? None of my other full sized horses do this, only her. I wormed her with Ivermectin, the liquid kind, and it really seemed to help. She is a little overweight now, and I'm working her off the bute (she could barely walk when she got here). Any suggestions as to why she's scratching will help. Thanks

The first vet that saw my filly said to use Ivermetrin as the first course of action which I did. The tail rubbing persisted so our barn vet said to do 3 days of pancur or safeguard paste double dosed instead. I did that for my TB filly a few weeks ago and a few days after finishing the safeguard her tail rubbing finally subsided. I'd always heard 5 days was optimum but in this case he recommended 3. I wish it were possible to ever get a consistent opinion
default_rolleyes.gif
:

The worms may die but the eggs keep hatching and make more worms and I am sure if she was heavily infested, which sounds like she was, she now has more worms. Keep after her several times until she is better. Your vet can also do a fecal and see what is going on. That is usually pin worms, etc...

You'll need to break the life cycle of the worms. Find out from your vet what she has, and then ask him/her what to do.

I've got some Safeguard in the barn, so I'll try that first thing in the morning. Is it possible to overworm them?
It depends on the infestation. If it's real bad, a major die off of worms can cause a horse to colic.

Under normal situations, or even mild infestation problems, it should be safe to worm your horse with Safeguard within days of the Ivermectin. Both Ivermectin and Strongid have a huge "fudge-factor" of safety.

When we've brought in rescue horses in the past and were concerned about worming, our vet recommended the following........

Worm with Ivermectin, wait 2 weeks, worm with Strongid, wait 2 weeks, worm with Ivermectin, wait 2 weeks, and then worm with Strongid.

After that, the horse can be put on a regular healthy horse worming schedule.

Please note that we consulted our vet when we did this.

MA

Latest posts

Back