Wormer question?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Becky

Reaction score
I've been using Zimectrin Gold which is 1.55% Ivermectin

7.75% praziquantel to worm for tapeworms. The other dewormer out there which is also labled for tapewoms is Equimax which is 1.87% Ivermectin

14.03% Praziquantel.

The Equimax is double the praziquantel of the Zimectrin Gold. Does anyone know if the Gold is as effective or does it take the double dose of Equimax to get rid of tapeworms?

I have used both and have both to be equally effective. The problems I have encountered is with using the ivermectins--horses in my area are developing an imunity to them very quickly. After many dollars spent on fecal exams, I now rotate wormers every time I give them. Check with your vet, but mine said that I could use the one with the lower % for tapeworm, and then redose in 3 weeks if I was unsure if it got all of the tapeworms. Hope this helps, Linda

I had no idea that those products had such different percentages of the drugs!

I use Equimax, which is the one that says it is safe for foals, pregnant mares, etc, but it seems odd that the product with a HIGHER percentage is the one that is marked as safe (perhaps the only one tested on foals and pregnant mares?)

I'd wondered the same thing, so called a vet and asked if they knew whether or not the Z.Gold was safe for pregnant mares & foals. They said the study on it was just completed this year & it's now been approved for pg mares & foals. I am not a vet, though, so you should talk to your vet before administering it to your horses.

Latest posts

Back