Wormer Overdose

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ferin

Reaction score
Yesterday midday we wormed all of our minis with Ivermectin. One of our mares, who weighs aproximately 300 lbs, got an entire tube of Ivermectin. The little knob on the tube was defective and it broke when we were giving the wormer to her. We called our vet and she told us to just watch her and see what happens. She ate her food last night like normal and was fine last time we checked her. This morning she wasnt acting like herself. She was laying in a place where she has never layed before and almost every morning she is up and grazing but not today. I got her up and had to lead her over to her favorite pasture that she normally runs into. She doesnt want to graze and only nibbles at hay. She would prefer to sleep and wont drink. I tried giving her gatorade but she doesnt want that either.

Called our vet this morning and she is planning to come out around 1:00. She doesnt seem too worried about her but says it could be a toxic reaction and she would like her to drink.

Have any of your minis ever gotten an overdose of wormer? If so did it hurt them? What did you do?

Thanks!

She will be fine..don't worry about it..I know easier said than done!

This is a frequent problem with the rings on those tubes. luckily ivermectin is very safe. Just to be sure, check with your vet but I've accidently done the same thing (as most of us have) and never had any reaction--just a well-wormed horse. LOL

I, too, have done the same thing, giving the whole tube of wormer to a mini. I called the vet, who told me that it might make the horse have symptoms like colic, but not to worry about it. He instructed me to give some Bantamine if the symptoms persisted. In my situation, the horse was fine.

You may wish to call the vet again and describing your horse's symptoms. Take its temperature so you can give that information to the vet also.

Good luck.

It's good that you have your vet on line -- just incase.

We've never done it ourselves, but have heard of several situations like your's here on the Forum. Most of the time, it's been okay. But there is always a horse that could be sensitive to the wormer, so it's good to watch her.

If she doesn't want to drink, you might want to syringe some water into her mouth. A gravy baster also works.

Keep us posted on how things go!

MA

I recently had the thing slip on the tube when I was worming a weanling.He got the whole tube.I stuck my fingers in his mouth&got some of it out, but he was fine.This has happenned to me several times.I am told the wormer that is notsafe to overdose is Quest, but I have never used it. Hope your kid is feeling better soon.

been there done that and always it seemed to the same horse not sure why it was always him butit was. It is pretty safe so i think you will be fine. Good you checked with your vet and kept him appraised.

One way to avoid this ( I learned the hard way) isto pull out the amount you need in a syringe (minus the needle of course) and then give it to your horse from that so you dont have to worry about the stopper that sometimes doesnt stop

I have done the same -- and my mini was fine -- I had called my vet and he told me not to worry about ivermectin or safeguard -- with some other wormers it could be a huge problem..-- so that is my experience. Hope your mini is fine as well. Its always a good thing to call your vet to check with them -- so glad you did

JJ

Thank you all so much for the advice! It has made me feel alot better. Our vet is going to call us a little later this afternoon to see how she is doing. She will be down this way to another farm around 4:00 so if we need her to stop by she's close.

I overdosed with ivermectin just last week . Same thing , the ring slipped . I was worming a 5 month old , 115 lbs. She got the entire tube! I freaked , obviously, reached in her mouth and was only able to get a very small amount. I called the vet, she said my filly should be fine , but to keep an eye on her for the next 48 hours. The signs to watch for are neurological signs, such as twitching or shivering, including facial muscles. The vet called a wormer company and called me back just to verify what she had told me. The company told her that ivermectin is actually rated safe up to a 10 times dosage. Good info to know. It was recommended to put the foals wormer amt. on your finger and administer it that way .
wink.gif
My filly never showed any symptoms and ate as usual, thank God. I was a wreck for 2 days, though! Hope you feel better about this, and hope your weanling does ,too.

OMG, thank you guys so much. I just did the same with my yearling mini filly and Equimax. The whole tube pretty much, just slipped right out so fast and easy. She liked it and I couldn't get it out of her mouth. I did wipe her mouth out, she didn't like that much, but I didn't really get any of it. She was still playing and eating when I left her, I'll check her later tonight and I might force some gatorade or something down her.

Latest posts

Back