Worm Resistence

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Little Bits

Reaction score
I have a 1 1/2 year old colt. He wasn't him self for the last part of the summer. I was thinking it was the heat, as it has been extremely hot in New England this summer. He had a sinus infection which was treated and he seem to back on track. However I noticed he seemed to be bloated and sluggish. Not the same wild colt he was this spring. At first I thought it was a thyroid issue. I had blood drawn yesterday which turned up negative. The vet suggested to me a fecal test, which at first I kind of did the eye rolling,
wacko.gif
but I am now shocked to find out that worms are indeed the culprit. Thinking I have done the right thing by my kids and had them on a regular deworming program. I am absolutely horrified to find out he is resistant to the worms. The vet suggested using Anthelcide.

I am wondering if anyone else has had this problem and what you are using for wormers? Are there any herbal worming products that are out there? Thanks for you valuable input.

Two things spring to mind:

Are you sure of the weights of the horses wormed?

What have you been worming with, and how often, and do you rotate?

OK That's more than two
default_laugh.png

Yes I do know the weights of my horses and I do rotate my wormers. My vets feelings as he has seen more and more young horse with this problem that it starts when the mares are wormed while the are in their bellies. Just his thoughts on the subject.

Wow, what a dilemma for you. We never stop learning with horses!

I do fecals on my boys twice a year--spring and fall. They are in a large pasture, and when I keep them in the dry lot I keep it very clean. Sometimes mine do not need to be wormed every year. Sometimes I have to worm them fall and spring. When I bring home a new horse, he gets the 5 day Pancur powerpack.

I don't believe in using so many chemicals on my animals. A few parasites are not going to hurt a healthy horse, so I don't try to keep them totally parasite-free. The best preventative for parasites is cleanliness. There is lots of information on this topic. I'll have to look up Anthelcide--more learning!

Latest posts

Back