World Show in Columbus

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sunny

Reaction score
I'm trying to plan my show schedule, and need to know what day(s) the minis show at the World Show. Can someone help me out with that, please?

Thanks.

Ok a little off topic -- I'm going to ask a really dumb question here that I'm sure will get me flamed ....

WHY does this show get such big billing as far as ASPC/AMHR is concerned?? I mean, it seems as if they are giving it more prominence than even the Area National Shows! And isn't it just a State Fair show...you know, like the Wisconsin state fair, or the Arkansas state fair?????

I know that a lot of promotional money from the home office is put into this show. Tell me - how can we get that kind of support for some of the other state fair shows?????

this gets asked all the time. Here is the answer i have been given by many people.

Years ago Pony Congress was held at the Ohio State Fair. When it was voted on to move Iit had to be moved because it got to big to fit in with the state fair) many pony breeders were very upset. To appease them and smooth things over, they kept a show there in place of congress and called it the OHIO WORLD SHOW. This show included miniature horses and ponies. Eventually that also got too big. So now it is held BEFORE the ohio state fair. We also show with Standabreds during this show which seems very odd but oh well LOL.

I have to say after showing in it last year it is a very big show. Especially for ponies. We had a blast and cant wait for this year!

Before anyone starts flaming keep in mind i am just retelling what i was told. Also keep in mind that these pony breeders were and are the foundation of the aspc ponies. So yes I think it was a smart move to make them happy.

Judy, i cant find my actual class list but I know that we showed I believe the very first day?? Remember the ponies show on one side while miniatures show on the other side. So both are showing at the same time. So if memory serves me correct *and it rarely does lol* there is no "pony day" and miniature day. I know the last few days are all performance.

Last edited:
I have my schedule and show list from the ohio world show for 06.

I dont have the AMHR class list for it (just ASPC/ASPR) and it has the ponies showing all that week so i'm guessing they are showing the miniatures all week long as well. When we got their (more toward the end of the week, i showed the classic division) and they were showing miniature horse classes and then would do shetland classes ext. They didnt have set dates. I will go and try to find on the net if i can find the AMHR class list at the Ohio State Fair website. Hold on ...

But last yr they did show the miniatures and shetlands and show ponies together on the same days.

Here is the 2006 AMHR class list from the world show.

http://www.ohioexpocenter.com/osf/download...ebooks/amhr.pdf

Here is some really old history of that show. Once upon a time, the Ohio State Fair was the AMHR nationals. Us, having no idea about that took our little stallion to show at the fair. He won his senior stallion class 32-34 so Judy handed me the trophy and ribbon and went back in for the championship. I looked at the little trophy which was a silver julep cup and it said NATIONAL CHAMPION SENIOR STALLION on it. :new_shocked: I about fell over! That would have been back in the mid 1980's. We still have that little cup too!!
default_yes.gif
:

wow i never heard that story!!! i was just always told that was where pony congress was held. so interesting

Hi Judy -- I think Kay is correct -- when we were in the box watching the ponies - the miniatures were showing at the opposite end or side.

Are you planning to show at iti this year??

Last edited by a moderator:
For anyone who has attended this show, is it worth trucking in for? We were thinking of trucking horses in from Maine this year to the World Show in Ohio. But, obviously before we make the 14 hour drive, we want to make sure it's worth trucking in for. This is our first year doing AMHR rated shows, so just trying to hit some good shows that are also fun to attend. There aren't lots of AMHR shows here in New England, so we know we'll have to travel.

Jen

OK -- but then how is it that you get three sets of points -- just like an Area National Show -- but there are no Foundation Shetland classes?

And let's get real here. I mean, after all, time marches on and things change. This is NOT the Congress....that is held elsewhere. This is NOT the Nationals....that is held elsewhere. This is NOT the Area National show. It is NOW just a state fair show. BUT IT STILL GETS MONEY.....and LOTS OF FREE PAGES IN THE JOURNAL. Come on people, this is 2007......not 1950 !!! Yes, it's a big show and it's fun to attend, but it is a STATE FAIR SHOW. I am not begrudging the fact that it exists. More power to it !! I just don't like the fact that ASPC/AMHR is shoveling a lot of $$$ into this show, and not a lot of other state fair shows.

OK -- I think I'll put in a petition to have the same standing/financial support for a show at the Arkansas state fair, and I think someone from every state should put in a similar request for their state fair. How about it? Anyone up for it?

for the life of me i dont know why this would upset anyone?? Jean this is a very big show. I do think a little respect has to be given and I dont think there is a thing wrong with tradition. Even before I got to do this show, i had heard for years how much fun it was and what a big show it was. Now that I did get to show in it I can see why people enjoy it so much.

Maybe getitia or someone can come clarify wether it really is a "state fair show" to me its confusing as it now has nothing to do with the fair and is held the week before the fair. I have to assume that is why its not called the Ohio State Fair show??

Are you sure you get triple points?? I dont think you do?? Its only a one judge show which to me is the only drawback of showing at this show.

Keep in mind this show is put on by Area 2!

Several of us are asking for Foundation Shetland Classes. But I have been told in the past there were no entries and thats why there is no class. I think if we can prove that there will be entries they would put in back in. If you do a search I believe there was a post on the pony forum regarding this.

Basically i think its just the title that bothers people. Honestly i belive it is another show but if you look in the Journal you will notice everyone is showing off their WORLD results as well as Congress the most. I see no problem having the Ohio World Show (not being biased bc i live in Ohio and close enough to attend yearly). I've always thought the reason they have a ohio WORLD show is because honestly, this area is basically shetland country ...look at all the big shetland breeders around here. You dont seen Congress being held in Flordia do you? No its held in Illinous where their is a great deal of shetland farms. I like how it works right now ....the world show to me is kind of the warm up congress is how i think of it. Its a big show bc of the history ...not because of what its called. Call it the state fair ...call it the world show ..call it congress/nationals ....i'm still going and i'm sure it would not change the attendance.

I am not begrudging the fact that it exists. More power to it !! I just don't like the fact that ASPC/AMHR is shoveling a lot of $$$ into this show, and not a lot of other state fair shows.
OK -- I think I'll put in a petition to have the same standing/financial support for a show at the Arkansas state fair, and I think someone from every state should put in a similar request for their state fair. How about it? Anyone up for it?
Being on our local fairboard, we just got back from our state fairboard meeting. If the state fair wants to hold a rated AMHR/ASPC show then they have all the rights to and power. The ohio state fair is big because of the history, that makes it different from the 'Arkansas World Show' or the 'Michigan World Show'. Did i make any sense? :lol: JMO
default_smile.png

Here is the thread from a while back that talks about the foundation classes at the world show that a few people are pushing for that Kay is refering to.

http://minihorse.ipbhost.com/index.php?sho...c=67526&hl=

for the life of me i dont know why this would upset anyone?? Jean this is a very big show. I do think a little respect has to be given and I dont think there is a thing wrong with tradition. Even before I got to do this show, i had heard for years how much fun it was and what a big show it was. Now that I did get to show in it I can see why people enjoy it so much.

Are you sure you get triple points?? I dont think you do?? Its only a one judge show which to me is the only drawback of showing at this show.

Keep in mind this show is put on by Area 2!

Several of us are asking for Foundation Shetland Classes. But I have been told in the past there were no entries and thats why there is no class. I think if we can prove that there will be entries they would put in back in. If you do a search I believe there was a post on the pony forum regarding this.
No, it's not just the title that bothers me....it's the fact that this doesn't pass the "smell test."

I RESPECT the fact that it is a successful show. However, I do not respect the fact that a lot of MY membership fees are going to a show that is a CLUB show...that is NOT an area national show. Why isn't the Area 2 CLUB picking up the tab if they are the ones putting it on and benefitting from it??? That just doesn't pass the "smell test". Why can't Area IV or VI or whatever put on a show OUTSIDE THE NORMAL Area National show in which they can fatten the club's coffers and get lots of $$ from the home office to boot???

Ok -- if people are stuck on tradition.....maybe we should go back to the days when women couldn't vote? Tradition would have us requiring people to pass a reading test before they could vote. Tradition would have some people still believing the world was flat.

Just got off the phone with one of the directors -- one judge -- triple points. And SO WHAT if it is put on by Area 2 ?!?!?!? That's just a CLUB. It is NOT the Area National show.

OK -- this is my last post on this. I've said my piece....here. Going to the next level and a forum just won't get 'er done.

one judge and triple points no wonder it's a popular place how much easier can things get.

Leanna and Kay, thank you so much for your input! As Amy mentioned, the minis were showing concurrently with the shetlands but, truth be told, I didn't even remember that until she mentioned it! I guess I was too focused on what I was doing! :new_shocked:

We're kicking around the idea of taking a couple of minis to show there this year. Part of my hesitation is that we have shows on the weekends before and after the World, so I'm not sure if we can swing it. That's why I needed to know the schedule. Oh well. Lots of time to decide.......

Hi Guys,

Just a few observations on this thread. I have been going to this show since I was a kid (over 35 years) and here are a few points to ponder.

1) It is not put on by Area II. This show is managed by the staff of the Ohio Expo/State Fair. The Area II club gets no money from this show.

2) This show is the "ONLY" USEF show for shetlands and miniatures (now that AMHR is a recognized USEF affiliate) at the present time.

3) This show is considered a "Society" show including other breeds such as Saddlebreds, Hackneys and Morgans. When was the last time you got to showcase your animals for 6 days with other society breeds ?

4) It is HUGE as far as breed exposure is concerned. Hence the write up in the USEF publication about the ponies and miniatures sent to ALL USEF members (September issue I believe).

5) Ribbons are provided by the Ohio Expo Center as well as class payback.

I don't agree with the Foundations being left out and would love to see them added, but I do understand why they were removed. This show runs on a very tight schedule and has over 400 classes. Every breed jockeys to add more of their desired classes and when the numbers aren't there economics takes over. (The hackneys have lost several classes this year due to lack of support). If we can get together and guarantee some numbers and entries, maybe in the near future that can be changed.

As far as the "NAME" goes, you can call it whatever you want. This is still one of the 2 largest shows in numbers for the Moderns in the country, and I will treat it as such making sure my show string hits their peak performance at this show. Honestly, because of the types of people watching and the exposure, we consider this show as important as the Congress and advertise it as such.

There is no cap on the numbers of entries for this show, it is open to anyone who would like to enter, so jump in the truck and come on up, you might just decide it was worth coming to. Maybe we might just get someone from outside the business to buy something, instead of always marketing our product to ourselves ! Off the soapbox now,

I agree with you Jean. I get crazy when things aren't fair. And this is not fair to other shows. It is playing favorites. I have never been able to find out if the Journal pays for all those pages of coverage. If some of my money is going for World coverage and not to our Area shows it upsets me.

Good Morning,

If you would like more information regarding the "World" show held in Ohio, why don't you call Marvin McCabe? He is the chair person for this show and spokes person. He can give you all the answers you are looking for.

Mr. Marvin McCabe

1292 Fort Jefferson Rd.

Greenville, Ohio 45331

937-548-3244

Marvin doesn't have email so you would need to phone him.

Thanks.

Karen

Judy here is a link to the old class list! ohio world show

amber i was going by what was posted on the pony forum

Any show in Area II can be questioned, I wanted a Model Gelding class in all of the Area II shows for Classics because it seemed odd that there was one for Mares and Stallions now I don't know if it's going to happen but I brought it up. I guess the sad part is even though Area II has branched out and has shows in Ashland and Urbana we still can't get some people to go anywhere excpet Greenville we've really tried to make those two shows as exhibitor friendly as possilbe adding classes for everyone, if you want anything added to those the Area II Banquet is in March what date I'm not sure of yet but the World Show even though held at the State Fair is considered Area II yes Mr. McCabe is the one to contact however if you can get a group together and gaurantee participation you could possilby get a bare bones amount of Foundation Classes in as well as the other shows but as I've said these are all open for debate and I've seen them add classes and than take them out the very next year for lack of interest. So call or write whoever you feel more comfortable with Mr.McCabe or Jim Lyme there is no harm in asking.

now that doesnt mean that area 2 makes money off the show. that i have no idea. but it does lead one to believe that area 2 helps put the show on?

And again I remember looking online at my points for this show and dont remember there being triple points. So I went and looked at the entry its still avaialable online sunny!

AMERICAN MINIATURE HORSE REGISTRY

Judge; Mr. Michael McCabe, Miamiburg, Ohio

All horses showing in this division must be registered with the American Miniature Horse Registry. All horses shown must be

registered with the AMHR . The complete registered name & registration number must be used on the entry. Copies of registration

papers MUST be sent with entries when showing at the Ohio State Fair Horse Show. Foals of the current year may be shown with

proof of pending registration with the AMHR office proof to be verified in writing by the AMHR office. NO HORSE SHALL BE

GIVEN A NUMBER UNLESS THE EXHIBITOR CAN SHOW PROOF OF REGISTRATION AND VERIFICATION OF HEIGHT.

CHECK AT THE HORSE SHOW OFFICE FOR TIMES FOR MEASUREMENT.

All classes offered are shown and judged under the current rules of: The American Miniature Horse Association

81 -B E. Queenwood Road, Morton, Illinois 61550, Telephone (309) 263-4132

THIS IS A DOUBLE POINT DOUBLE SINGLE JUDGED

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back