Wood versus metal wheels

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

disneyhorse

Reaction score
Hello.... I need to research the broad differences between wood and metal wheels. I've never driven a metal wheeled vehicle.... Only wood and pneumatic.

Thanks in advance for your time!

Andrea

Well-made metal wheels probably will last better than either of the others. Other things being equal(width of tread, overall weight of wheel, proper hub/bearing construction--which I admit I don't know much about, only to be sure of good quality...), the metal should ride about as wooden; we all know that pneumatic usually rides 'softer' than either of the others)....a wider tread won't 'cut into' soft ground, but of course, will make for a heavier wheel. Well-painted metal probably will require the least maintenance, too. I've like mine w/ metal wheels, both two and four wheeled.

I've recently bought some metal 8 spoke wheels with hard rubber tires that seem pretty nice. I used them to replace the bicycle type wheels on a four wheel cart I have and so far I'm impressed. They are available in several sizes from Kingston Saddlery and priced about the same as wood wheels. Best part of these vs wood is these are powdercoated so they don't need to be finished or maintained as carefully. While they don't give you the traditional look of a wood wheel they seem pretty strong. I'm planning to take the cart with these wheels to the National Drive with our black and white pair, so that should be a good test.

Several cart manufacturers are now producing carts with this type wheels also, My Fox Lane cart has them and Frey Carriage from WI has a line of carts with them. Keep an eye out for them on drives and in shows and share your thoughts and impressions.

Latest posts

Back