Woke up to a sad morning

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MindyLee

Reaction score
I watched this mare and thinking it was a 50/50 that she was in foal. I thought that she lost her foal early term but her body still thought that she was pregnent. I still watched her and never saw any belly movement nothing. No milk and hardly a belly. BUT I should have went with my gut feelings cause this unreagular cold morning (31 degrees) She foaled.

Because I dont have a foaling system, I made my last trip to the barn at 2:30am and fell asleep on the couch. Woke up at 6:00am and went and checked, still nothing out of the 2 mares I'm watching. Well getting up at 10:00am to go do chores, I noticed my "not" pregnent mare standing on the hill in the sun with a white body under her lying on the ground. I knew right then that I made a HUGE mistake and that she foaled early this morning and before I even entered her pasture I knew the foal was gone.

My 6 yr old maiden mare gave birth to a beautiful creamllo or palomino filly with blue eyes. It looks like all went very well and when momma brought the newborn outside into the chilled air, it never made it. I'm guessing it frozed to death.
crybaby.gif
The filly was dry and looked to have been walking around and just simply followed momma outside where it was too cold for her.

So word to others out there this foaling season or in the future... If you have a gut feeling about a mare who maybe in foal but not 100%, go with that gut feeling! It's always right and because I slightly ignored it and belived that she was'nt in foal even tho my gut said she was, the end resault may have been different because of my actions. I will rebreed her and hope that next years foal will make up for the loss of this years and hopefully have a happy healthy foal.

Momma's doing great! I think she understands somewhat that her little one is now gone.

Happy foaling season to everyone out there and hope my final foal is born with no issues.

I'M SO SORRY!

I know how it is to loose a little one when you least expect it! I lost a beautiful sorrel pinto filly with two blue eyes April 24th so I can feel your pain. I even had barn cameras and still lost her.

I hope you and your mare are doing well!

EDITED TO ADD: I know my maiden mare hid her pregnancy pretty well too, this year I will be using PREGNAMARE to confirm pregnancy and will be using WEEFOAL 120 to confirm late term pregnancy as well! Always nice to know!

Last edited by a moderator:
I am so sorry about your foal. So hard to lose them but how could you know for sure? I had a mare that I was sure was in foal and it was a false pregnancy. Please don't beat yourself up about this. Sending you huge hugs.

I am so sorry for your loss.

But I think a actually healthy newborn foal who has dried up wouldn't freeze to death. I think that this little foal was ill or something wasn't right.

Still a huge loss. So sorry.

I'm so very sorry to hear this.
no.gif
May your other mares foals without incident.

{{{{hugs}}}}

I'm so sorry- it's been so cold the last few days.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had that happen two years ago. It was March and we had a severe storm that tore the roof off the back side of the house. We were so busy dealing with that I did not see that our mare had foaled and the little guy froze. It had dipped to 26 degrees and he followed mama into some water then got wet and froze.

Yes, the baby probably froze- and I am so sorry for your loss.

A new foal- even a perfectly healthy one, cannot regulate it's temperature and it actually takes several weeks for them to be able to do that very well. We here in the desert, where the temps are reaching 100 by mid May, have to watch for foals born too late because of this- the heat will kill them too.

Foals have no body fat and no way to keep themselves warm or cool, so are very susceptable to a harsh climate either way.

I am so sorry about your baby. These mares can sure be sneaky.

So very sorry to read about your little foal. Hugs to you and your Momma mare.

Anna

So so sorry for your loss. It is unseasonably cold here in Michigan. I still have a heat lamp on my wee one. Big Hugs Mindylee. That is truly a big bummer.
default_sad.png

Thank you all for the hugs and thoughts. I did determine that the filly was in fact a creamello and after thinking about it all day I did start feeling bad. Now that I know the cross between my mare and stallion was a terrific cross, I cant wait till next year now to see a healthy live foal running in my pastures.
yes.gif

I did come up with a name that way she had one while I placed her into the ground. I called her "Little Monday".

sire: LK Sentra Supreme

dam: Alvadars Champagne Elegance

My heart sank when I read your post MindyLee. I am so sorry you lost your filly......my heart goes out to you.
default_sad.png

Latest posts

Back