Wizard of OZ - mini's?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbrat

Reaction score
We're watching the Wizard of OZ (FYI on tbs channel right now).

And my son asked me if I realized they used mini's in the movie. They probably won't show them again but in the beginning when the munchkins all come out they drive Dorthy around in a carriage pull by 2 black mini's. They sure looked small enough to be mini's, not sure if ponies were even recognized as mini's when the movie was made.

So I was just curious if by chance anyone here knew anything about them.

I often wonder about horses I see used in movies. Bet they aren't normally pampered like the actors.
default_unsure.png

LOL, I was watching that too and screamed "Oh My God! Minis!" :DOH! Not sure if they are or even, as you said, recognized, but I think it'd be a neat fact to know.

More than likely, they were very small Shetland ponies....as there were no such thing as "Miniature Horses" (at least not "officially") back when that movie was made. The Miniature Horse registries here in the States didn't organize until many years later. Back in the, 50s & early 60s when I was a child, the Shetland ponies that were being bred in our area actually WERE very small & DID look like the Minis of today. Then some breeders started calling the smallest ones "Midget Ponies".

Technically....the ones you see in the Wizard of Oz, probably were small enough to be considered Miniatures if they were around today.
default_yes.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
You can buy a musical with the horses.

I am thinking not mini either
default_wink.png

Judy Garland stared in 1939

WizardofOz.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
What I've always wondered about is the little carriage! I LOVE it! I look close at it each time and note how well it was made. I wonder where it is now. Wouldn't be awesome to own it and show in it at World or Nationals?

OMG.............OMG......................I was thinking the same thing................I would love to have that musical box or whatever you want to call it...........That is amazing. I was always amazed how the horse in the Oz Castle changed colors......................LOL
default_new_shocked.gif
default_new_shocked.gif
default_new_shocked.gif
default_new_shocked.gif

Latest posts

Back