withholding breeding certificate after stud service

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

attwoode

Reaction score
I am working on a contract for stud service. The stallion owner will get payment for stud fee and board at time of service. The mare will be included on the stallion report, but owner does not want to issue breeding certificate until birth. This has me nervous that I may not be able to register the foal. What are the reasons to withhold the certificate? I can't think of any that are good enough to outway the risk of potential registration problems. Any ideas?

hi, im not sure but maybe it has somthing to do with the mare maybe throwing a foal with a fault that the studs owner wont want to be labelled with????? im not sure, but its an interesting thread
default_yes.gif
:

Some people want to wait until the foal is born & then see a photo (if the mare isn't close & they can visit in person) of the foal nursing on that particular mare--so that they know for sure the foal is truly the one sired by their stallion. If the foal is AMHA and has to be be DNA'd & PQ'd in order to be registered I suppose it isn't so much a concern. If it is AMHR it would be possible for the mare owner to use that breeding certificate to register a different foal.

I have received breeding certificates well after the birth of my foals & have had no concerns at all about it--and have had no problems, but I know others haven't been so fortunate.

I have never with held paperwork and dont know why anyone would really have a reason to do that!

I generally give breeder's certificates when the foal is born so that there aren't any "extra" ones floating around, in case the foal dies or the mare doesn't foal. If someone wants one earlier, I wouldn't withhold it though.

When a stud service is paid for, the certificate should be given...no ifs ands or bu's about it. If the stud owner doesn't trust the mare owner than they should refuse to breed their mare. If the stallion owner doesn't give the certificate at time of breeding something may happen to the stud owner and then you would have difficulties getting the foal registered. Too many people have had too many problems with paper work to not have it all in order at time of breedings, selling or whatever. Eliminating hassles is always GOOD!
default_rolleyes.gif
: Mary

Payment is usually the biggest point. If the mare owner renigs on the payment, board, fees, shipping (not usually a problem with live-cover minis), etc, no breeding certificate until its paid for in full.

I would also be nervous in a situation where it was been held until birth. If deciding whether or not to buy the mare, this would be a tick in the reasons not to buy column for me.

i so agree with buckskin gal. if i pay a stud fee i want the certificate when the mare is bred! no way would i do it any other way. I have seen too many people never get the certificate and have a foal that cant be registered.

I agree with Buckskin Gal! I ALWAYS give a service certificate when the mare is bred. If an outside mare, I give the service certificate when the mare is picked up and all fees are paid. If I'm sellng a bred mare, the service certificate goes with the registration papers and transfers on the mare. After all, the certificate states that that mare X was bred to stallion Y on these dates. It never says that she must produce a live foal; simply that she was bred.

If I were the buyer, I'd want a service certificate BECAUSE....What if the breeder died! Then how would I provide proof of breeding for my foal? What if the breeder died before the stallion report had been done for that year?

Just a lot of 'what ifs'

I provide a service certificate on any bred mare as soon as payment is complete.

Charlotte

I agree with giving the breeding certificate when it is paid for and the mare is vet checked in foal. I understand the problem with the R registry, but you paid for it, if you ask for it, you should get it. Additionally to expand this a little, we bought a mare with foal at her side at a sale, upon gettng home and checking the paper work discovered the breeders certificate information was incorrect as far as dates. So far I have an un-registered beautiful buckskin filly I can't get registered till the mess is straightened out. Just another aggravation to work thru and the previuos owner has been anything but timely and helpful.

:saludando:

I agree with some of the other post. Once you pay for the stud fee and have your mare serviced, you should receive the stud service cert. at that time.

I asked this same question a year or so ago but got no good responses becuase the breeder I questioned about (I did not mention her name) she took offense and came foward and she is one of the "forum gods" here so no one had the ......'s to speak anymore about it except to jump my butt for questioning her good name and to trust her. But What one breeder pm'd me and told me to request a copy of the signed stallion report that was sent in, once you have paid there is really not more you can do but hope all goes well.

We send out service certificates with a copy of the receipted stallion report for AMHA/AMHR. That way the mare owner has proof their mare was included on the stallion report and they have the service certificate.

(I just line out the other mares names on the report for privacy)

If someone wants one immediately or is someone new to me, (bought a pregnant mare) I will include it with the sales contract, but send them a copy of stallion report later, too.

If I had to worry about mis-use of a certificate, I obviously shouldn't be doing business with that person. Plus I do strongly encourage DNA/PQ of ALL minis A or R registered.

Latest posts

Back