Wireless Internet

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Witts Mini Horse Ranch

Reaction score
Today we went to At&T and bought the The wireless thingy, that plugs into the usb. I have the communication manger and it says connect BUT there is no VPN button like shown on instructions. I really think it is still running off my dial up
default_wacko.png
I am exhausted and just can't think ...all this is so over my head. I have had nothing but dial up since the beginning of time....I want to join the face pace.

If you know what I am doing wrong or what I need to do...please tell me like you are speaking to a child...spell it out slowly..please.

Thank you...

Today we went to At&T and bought the The wireless thingy, that plugs into the usb. I have the communication manger and it says connect BUT there is no VPN button like shown on instructions. I really think it is still running off my dial up
default_wacko.png
I am exhausted and just can't think ...all this is so over my head. I have had nothing but dial up since the beginning of time....I want to join the face pace.If you know what I am doing wrong or what I need to do...please tell me like you are speaking to a child...spell it out slowly..please.

Thank you...
With the manager window open put your curser on the word "connect" and left click on it. This should log you on.

I use Verison and my window is the "VZAccess Manager"

If you're not in the range of a 3G tower you will still get dial up speeds.

AT&T "forgets" to tell this to people when selling this service.

Call AT&T and have them check that you are indeed in a 3G area.

If you are not, take it back, it will not speed up your internet service.

I recently made the change from netzero "highspeed" (i use that word lightly) dial up to Embarq Wireless.....oh what joy, i can watch youtube videos! Anyway, all they did was come out and do something to the telephone poll, then sent me the modem which i just connected the USB cord into my computer, and a "enthronet" cord into my computer and then connected the phone line to the modem and all i had to do was turn it on and wait for all of the four lights to light up.

Did you just order it?? I order it like two weeks prior...got the moden, but had to wait 3 days until monday at 7pm until it would work...did they give you a start date?

That was really all i had to do
default_smile.png
...plugged everything in, waited, turned it on and the little icon in the botton right corner of my computer connected to a local network.

Hope you don't mind my jumping in on your thread with a question of my own...

Does anyone know anything about the type of internet you get through a satelite dish? I do not have high speed wireless(tower) available to me at all here, so my only option would be the dish type. I read the brochure but didn;t really understand what would be best suited for me. They had different "strengths", (for lack of a better word) for uploading and downloading. How does one figure out what best suits their needs, and would the low end of that, be much better than regular internet. I am ALWAYS connected below 40 Kbps (usually 38.6), so wondering how much better (if any) the lowest dish type package would be??

Mona, we are wireless, and have a small dish on the top of our house that points directly to the main tower..which is about 25 miles from us. The company I am through is granitewave, they came directly to our home and hooked us up. I think it costs around $300.00 including our tripod (which is about 4' and our small dish) after that..we pay $30.00 a month, but it is SOOOOO much faster then our old dial up we had. With dial up I was connecting at about 35-40, with wireless we stay connected at 100. We did this about 1 1/2 years ago, and love it and have never had any problems, nor, have we ever had a day where we couldnt connect like we did so often with dialup. I do know that with wireless, it makes a big differance if you live in a wooded area or around lakes. Once you get past our farm..no one is able to get granitewave, since right past us is the lake and for some reason if you are near a big body of water you dont get any signal, and in a wooded area there is too much interferance from the trees.

I think I am figuring it out
default_wacko.png
, I have only used dial up and I thought that when I was connected there would be a home page, and you would sit up email. Nope, it just gets you on the Internet...which I use a free mail service anyway..just have to figure out how to change my address b4 canceling my dial up service. I have been moving my tower around trying to get more bars...right now it has 3 and receiving 5.7 MB what ever the heck that is. Maybe if I mount my tower to the ceiling I can get another bar LOL When we 1st got our cell phones we could not get a signal out here and had to buy an antenna...now they work good...never a dropped call..so they must have put a tower close by. We bought it a ATT communications store and I think he did check to make sure about that 3G thing. So last night I guess I was running off the wireless...heck I don't know I had both plugged in...finally I pulled the phone line and I was still online LOL...I am such a dummy. And yes it is faster...need to go check out YouTube and see if it will work...have never been able to watch the videos.

Mona when I was checking into options..the way I understood the satellite thing was when you used your limit of (what ever they call it) then you would go on dial up speed for an amount of time. Also, I would see a lot of people complaining about it...but can offer no 1st or second hand experience. This thing I got just plugs into your USB port...same thing used for laptops. It is 40.00 a month without wi-fi, 60.00 with...being out in the sticks didn't think wi-fi would do me any good. Paid 108.00 for equipment and they gave me 100.00 mail in rebate...plus I will have a 30 something activation fee on my bill. Si if you get good cell phone reception you might try it...they said I had 3 days to return it for full refund and 30 days for a refund minus activation fee.

Thank you all for your help!

I did the Verizon USB line.....wasn't really enough faster than by dial-up to make it worth the $60 a month. Since I have 30 days to return it for free, I didn't cancel my dial up OR my 2nd phone line.

Returned it. Get a call, asking why, etc. Well, she says it must not have been a "hi-speed" card
default_wacko.png
So, why not? I mean that was the ONLY reason I got it and told them so at the site. She offers to send a FREE hi-speed card, another 30 day trial etc. It arrived. It has a connection for the laptop, not USB -- I don't own a laptop
default_new_shocked.gif
That one goes back tomorrow.

Don't feel like the ONLY dummy out there with this -- I had the same thought when I realized I was on the net and didn't know where
default_laugh.png
Different format...change can be hard
default_rolleyes.gif

I just want Verizon to put the DSL line in my area!!! It's all around me, not here. I feel abused. :DOH! A friend up the road has the disc and likes it. I've entertained that or satellite but, don't want to pay the several hundred equip/connect/install fee.

Nancy,

I thought about doing the att wireless thing we have the same dialup as you do ( itlnet) soooo slow even with the accelerator we pay an extra$5 for.

I had thought about goin with the internet thru direct tv but it was like 300 for the intial set up and equipment.

I am thinking of goin with the Omega Wireless (my inlaws have it and its fast fast fast ! ) not sure of the cost but I know

a few others that have wireless from other providers

i heard that huges net is real costly and thats with a dish on your house.

Let me know if you end up liking the ATT thing. thought of getting that for the laptop to take with me in the truck

i usually just see if i can pick up a wifi accnt someplace when we stop.

Latest posts

Back