Winter snow advisory

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stormy

Reaction score
So I live in south-west Michigan, just far enough from the lakes to get that nice fat fluffy lake effect snow on top of regular snow fall...well got home last night and found not one but two of my stallions had gone over the fence into my yearling field!
default_gaah.gif
Mind you I have stock fence with a very tough weed wacker electric fence inside but two feet of snow with up to 3 foot drifts makes fences alot shorter and takes the punch out of the electric!! With the yearlings are 3 "Granny" mares, the oldest being 32 years old....well guess who was in heat yesterday...mind you it was 9 degrees, windchills below zero but 2 of the old girls were in heat! So got to put the boys in the barn till I can get the fences dug out, repaired fence until after dark...still not thawed out, and get to go get some shots from my vet for the girls...no 33 yr old mares foaling next year in January for me!!!
default_thumbdown.gif

It's been a wonderful winter in Michigan. Love those boys who are SO determined to meet their "valentines"!

Been happening here in CT - I put a warning on here a week or so ago. Our 2 year old stallion Max has "walked" over the fence twice - once time we caught him (literally) and the second time he was only in with his younger brother for a few minutes. We keep finding new panels - higher ones if we can - and putting them ON TOP of the snow, doubling them up with the original ones.

Also I heard this morning that 300 barns and farm structures on 100 farms in CT have collapsed or partially collapsed in the past month. That doesn't count the 2 people I know in MA who had their indoor arenas collapse recently. And horses died in at least one of these incidents.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank goodness you got them all sorted out. What a mess. I was talking to someone yesterday who made a comment about mares only coming into season once a year.
default_new_shocked.gif
I had to laugh. I made sure to let her know they are pretty regular. My 20+ year old mare still comes in monthly, year round... like clockwork.

Hang in there!

Back