Winter Coat?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CZP1

Reaction score
I know it is the end of summer but my mini is already growing his winter woolies! It has been in the 90's here with high humidity. He seems comfortable! I hope we aren't in for a really cold winter.
default_crybaby.gif

(I do know that the change in season daylight hours does affect their growing pattern).

Though our temps have been well over 100 degrees, ours are starting to get a bit thicker already too.... usually by early September we notice this with all of them. I think it's more the days getting shorter than the temperatures that triggers it.

Yep, that's happening here too. The first year we had our horses, I was shocked to see the thickening coat in mid-August!

My one mini mare is getting fluffy quick, my other three are just starting to fluff up.

We have so far had 61 days of 100 plus temps. The hottest summer ever on record for Oklahoma (records kept since the late 1800's). My horses are getting heavy winter coats......

Mine didn't have one single day of complete summer coat this year. Kody had shed out everywhere but his legs and then POOF! The next day, his coat had that tell-tale puffiness to it and sure enough by a week later he was fluffy again.
closedeyes.gif
default_frusty.gif
I could have cried as that was late July/early August. They are both in full winter fuzzies now with more coming in every day and here we're finally having a week in the 80's with hotter to come this weekend.
default_wacko.png
We haven't been above a few days at 70 the entire rest of the year! And I guarantee in another couple of weeks we'll have frost in the morning again so I don't dare clip them. I'm debating on whether to leave them hot for another few days or do a trace clip with a long blade and hope it grows out quickly.

Leia

well lol I'm the complete opposite lol I'm from Australia n my girls are moulting like crazy lol rubbing up against everything LOL

hope you guys don't have a bad winter!
default_no.gif

Latest posts

Back