Will I get grief?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

littlesteppers

Reaction score
I have a palomino Pinto mare..when she was born she was defenitly PINTO..after the first haircut she is solid white..NO Pinto markings what so ever..
default_unsure.png
default_unsure.png
when she was registered there where NO pictures on AMHR registrations..so the pinto markings have been marked on the paper..Now I gotto bring her permanent..and send in a solid white picture..I wonder what they will say..
default_unsure.png
default_unsure.png

When you get her wet does she have the pinto markings? We have a gelding that we never knew was a pinto until we gave him a bath!!!
default_wacko.png
So try that and see if she has any!!!
default_wink.png

If she is now solid white, then it sounds like she must be gray. Was either parent gray? If this is the case, I am sure this happens all the time! Then I would think you would need to change her color from palomino to gray.

Well..she is out of 2 palominos..One is a Pinto..so according to the paperwork NO gray..she had markings according to the breeder and pictures I saw for about 2 month..I am not very familar with the gray gene..can it act this fast? Maybe One "palomino" parent was a gray??

I know I can't find any head markings..she is suppost to be appr. 50 percent marked..
default_wacko.png

000_0036.jpg

Do you have any baby pictures of her... Showing the pinto markings?

Joyce

Last edited by a moderator:
How old is she now? I had a palomino pinto colt this year, who when shaved for the first time, looks solid white except for his face. When he is wet though, you can still see that the skin underneath the markings is a different color. I am told then palomino does not darken again for a couple years, so for now, he looks solid colored most of the time.

Barb

Here is a foal picture..with her MOM

thImaangel4-28-05-1.jpg

Here is a picture when she came off the trailer..she was 4 month old and clipped..I hope they don't make me jump through hoopes
default_wacko.png

thFancyAngel7-6-05-G.jpg

She just turned 3 years old
default_saludando.gif

I have a palomino pinto mare that did EXACTLY that same thing. She started out clearly palomino with white spots, about 50/50. Within a year she had grayed out to a pure white horse. Even the star on her forehead went away! I did some research and found out that a great grand sire had the gray gene. It can really gray them out fast sometimes! She was registered permanent before the photos became a requirement so I haven't worried about it as far as changing the registration. I'm sure I will have to do some upgrading if I ever sell her. By the way, she continues to throw beautiful palomino and buckskin pinto babies for me, even if she looks like a snowdrift!

She is not gray, she is clearly palomino. To be gray a parent has to be grey, the gene can not skip a generation.

YOu will probably have to clip her and get her wet to see the markings.

While it is very hard to see, I can clearly tell from your head/neck shot that she is a palomino. She has the color on her neck in a "U" pattern then in the right corner (her left shoulder) there is another colored patch as well as what looks to be a patch about the size of a fist on her neck about 3 inches from her crest. Does she have any sabino in her background?Maybe that would account for the majority of the white getting blended away in the face area? And as already stated, grey can't skip a generation.

Carolyn

Thanks guys..just took a closer look at her pedigree..boy this is frustrating..her dam is registered as a Solid creme..(impossible) out of a palomino and a roan..I seen Grays being registered as roans..as they roan when they change..maybe she is a gray??
default_wacko.png
default_wacko.png
I just don't see she could turn that fast!
default_rolleyes.gif
default_unsure.png

Could it have be a palomino roan. Then the dam could be solid creme.

SHES NOT GRAY!

Why couldnt she be a solid cream? A horse can be genetically a pinto with socks, blaze or other spots but if they dont go past the knees or hocks or the spots are not big enough they cant be registured as a pinto.

Hmmm..NO!
default_laugh.png
she cannot be a cremello..she has No pink skins around the eyes and NO blue eys!
default_saludando.gif

Cream doesnt have to have pink skin or blue eyes. Cream is palomino, buckskin, cremello, perlino and smokey black. Palominios do not have pink skin.

ONly double dulites have pink skin and blue eyes.

Cream doesnt have to have pink skin or blue eyes. Cream is palomino, buckskin, cremello, perlino and smokey black. Palominios do not have pink skin.
ONly double dulites have pink skin and blue eyes.
Agreed..like I said her MOM is dregistered as a cremello..SCR..Solid creme..this is NOT possible..
default_wacko.png

ya know, if it were me, I'd clean her up, and take pictures while she is wet. (preferably clipped). her skin markings should show up then. then I'd dry her out, and take pictures in the same spot, so you could clearly see what she looks like when you can't see her skin.

the first picture looks to me like she is not the same color white all over, but is pale palomino and white.

you just need to be able to photograph the contrast. I think your best results would be to pick a day when it is bright but overcast, so you have no shadows. avoid direct light, cause that willwash her color right out.

i would guess she's just a very light palimino or a roan palimino. I would thin the roaning in the coat would give it more "white" which would blend with the spots already. she looks palimino to me just a very very light one. Clipping always seems to turn many light palimino's to a whitish color anyways.

One creme gene will only produce a palomino, buckskin or smokey black. Two cream genes (a double dilute) will produce either a cremello, perlino or a smokey cream. EVERY cremello, perlino or smokey cream will have two blue eyes and pink skin.

At least one parent has to be a dilute to produce a dilute. BOTH parents have to be dilutes to produce a double dilute.

As in grays and dilutes, the color does not skip a generation. If the horse is not a dilute it can not produce a dilute unless it is bred to a dilute. The same goes for grays.

Also, palominos, especially pinto palominos can have pink skin.

An isabella palomino will turn white or appear white or much lighter than regular palominos. If your mare is 3 years old and you still can not tell her palomino from the white, then either her roan dam was really a gray (you would have to check to see if either of her parents were a gray or "roan") or your mare is an isabella palomino pinto.

As I said before, YOU CAN NOT HAVE A GRAY HORSE UNLESS ONE OF THE PARENTS WAS GRAY. Yes, many,many roans are really grays and I would suspect a horse registered as a roan to really be a gray. Very few true roans out there.

Okay thanks..here was my reasoning..

Her Mom is registered as a cremello..on papers..so it would have been possible that she could have hidden the gray gene..BUT after seeing a picture she is NO cremello..therefor MY mare can not be a gray!
default_wacko.png
default_saludando.gif

Latest posts

Back