Will grey gene always.....

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blufftonteaco

Reaction score
Will a mare that is flea bitten grey( white) always throw a grey (white) foal?

Thank you

Kim

Not unless she's homozygous for it. Otherwise, she will throw it(statistically speaking) 50% of the time.

If she's homozygous, yes. Heterozygous 50%, grey is dominant over everything.

Is there a test to see if a horse is homozygeous for grey? I didn't know that any ever were until reading this just now.

Is there a test to see if a horse is homozygeous for grey? I didn't know that any ever were until reading this just now.
I don't know if there is a test either. I just assumed from the way the replys were worded that there was.

If there is not a test, would you just have to breed and see what you got to determine if she was homozygeous?

Kim

To be homozygous she needs to have two gray genes, thus meaning both parents would have to be gray before that can even be determined.

Thanks, Ashley! I was actually going to email you to ask you if you knew about this but you saw this on your own
default_smile.png
That pretty much answers my question regarding my two arab grey horses as they each have only one grey parent. Thanks!

To be homozygous she needs to have two gray genes, thus meaning both parents would have to be gray before that can even be determined.
Thank you. That makes sense. How about if you didn't know the lineage? Not planning on breeding her , just got to thinking about it and wanted to learn something new:)

Kim

You could always contact one of the labs that do DNA color testings.......such as UC Davis, and ask them if there is a test for being homozygous with the graying gene. If there isn't, and you don't know your horse's lineage, you're looking at a gamble.

MA

Latest posts

Back