Will filly be oversized?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

willow29

Reaction score
I bought a mare and foal last fall. The foal was just a week old when I purchased the pair. Mom is 30.5 inches and so is the sire. The lady I bought them from did file an AMHA stallion report, but never paid the fee, so I have to get the filly DNA tested. My question is this: The filly is already 31.5 inches at a little over 5 and a half months old. I'm thinking she will go oversized, but wanted to see if anyone else has had a baby like this. Do some grow really fast at first and then slow down? Or will she keep getting taller and taller? Either way, she is a real sweetie and I'm keeping her, but I wondered if it was worth all the hassle and expense of getting papers on her if she will go oversized anyway. Thanks for any feedback!
default_smile.png

That is really tall for her age, BUT, I have read here about many people who've had foals they were sure would go over only to see the hardly grew if any after 1yo! Some bloodlines do grow tall fast then slow way down.

Do you have AMHR papers on her? If not, and if she were mine, I'd go on and proceed with the AMHA for sure (I probably would even if she already had AMHR), so that at least you can use the AMHA's to hardship her into AMHR.

For my tastes, I love the B division horses just as much as the A division horses. And, any day, I'd take a TALL B (so versatile) over a TINY A! But, that's just my own personal preference
default_yes.gif
:

Several years ago I had a mare that was out of two horses under 32 inches.... that mare got to 37 inches... but then her foal by an A stallion matured out 33. I would get her amha paperwork done so you can get her into amhr just in case.

Lyn

I will say she probably will. But you never know. I have one filly I sold thats has AMHA papers and she's like 33" already, but I transferred her just incase. If I didn't sell her I probably wouldnt even bother with it. I would go ahead, I know big pain in the butt, but you might regret it later on.

Latest posts

Back