Will filly be oversized?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

willow29

Reaction score
I bought a mare and foal last fall. The foal was just a week old when I purchased the pair. Mom is 30.5 inches and so is the sire. The lady I bought them from did file an AMHA stallion report, but never paid the fee, so I have to get the filly DNA tested. My question is this: The filly is already 31.5 inches at a little over 5 and a half months old. I'm thinking she will go oversized, but wanted to see if anyone else has had a baby like this. Do some grow really fast at first and then slow down? Or will she keep getting taller and taller? Either way, she is a real sweetie and I'm keeping her, but I wondered if it was worth all the hassle and expense of getting papers on her if she will go oversized anyway. Thanks for any feedback!
default_smile.png

Well, she very well might not go over, but even if she does, it would be best to go ahead and register her AMHA now, while you can. Then, at least, if she does go over, you can cross-register her into AMHR, which is cheaper than harshipping.

We had one filly born here, at 23.50", :new_shocked: that I thought for sure she would go over. She stopped at 32.50, as a yearling.
default_yes.gif
:

Then again, just a couple years ago, we had another foal born at 23.50", who is going to be lucky if he stays under 38"!!
default_wacko.png
: If he goes over that...I will register him National Show Pony, (I think that's the one?) as he is my husband's, and I hope to be showing him eventually in driven dressage.

I would say your chances area bout 50/50 of going over or staying under with the heights of the Sire and Dam. I'd AMHA her for now and take a chance. JMO

Joyce

We have a filly who was born at 20 inches out of a 35 inch dam and a 32 inch sire, She is a very big girl at 5 months she is already 33.5 inches, so we know she will go over just hoping she will stay under 38! Our mare has a Welsh background so we think her filly must have been a throwback, You just never can tell with these minis
default_wub.png
:

Latest posts

Back