Wicket Measuring Thing

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am thinking that IF there were enough people that would like to see another way of measuring at AMHR shows we should go about it this way. For 2009 get together this winter and write a proposal (and it has to be very carefully written and submitted by a certain date) ASKING and I mean ASKING that we be able to form an official committee to invistigate differerent contraptions that might work, and present them to the board for their consideration. Now whether our proposal would ever make it anywhere we don't know, but we could ASK.

But even if it didn't get anywhere I want one of those wickets. How big do they go for dogs lyn?

Im not sure Renee, We will have to look into it. I want to say about 2 feet not more I dont believe. We can get one and havrer one made bigger to fit our needs tho couldnt we?

Lyn

Renee, the wicket that is pictured in Relic's post is the same as the one we have. I don't know if Bill would be interested in making any more or not. Do you know, Relic?

All of our horses are under 35" so it hasn't been an issue for us that it doesn't measure taller. However, it could be made with longer legs and a longer ruler in it to accommodate the taller horses.

Last edited by a moderator:
You should have someone call Bud Stephenson and see if his style is still available. He also told me that that used to be the official measuring stick for aspc/amhr. I will agree it kinda freaks horses out especially younger ones. But I do think its more accurate

We use the wicket type measuring device and it is a homemade model.

It is 38 inches at the crosspiece and there is a 15 inch ruler to slide down and take the measurement.

Works perfectly.

If anyone wants a picture let me know.

It is nice and wide so no problem if the mare is a little on the chunky side.

When we started the marketing group IAMHA, we had the use of wickets as a possible solution of the measuring problem. We purchased a complete set from someone in the miniature industry. I will try and find out who it was we bought them from. It was a complete set to handle all classes from 28 and under up thru the B size horses in AMHR. They work and are very simple to use.

I am curious to know why just making people measure honestly is not on the agenda???
default_smile.png

Sorry, could not stop myself....basically all the gadgets in the world are never going to work while you have people invested in the Mini world measuring the horses.

What is to stop people just not having the legs on these wickets touching the ground??

At the moment you have people blatantly flaunting the rules, stretching horses, measuring in the wrong place etc....how will a wicket stop any of that??

Back