Why is it so hard to find an experienced driving mini or pony?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@Christie - don't let one bad apple spoil the whole bunch! As a buyer, you have a right to be specific about the horse you want to buy. It's your money and, more importantly, a long-term commitment to the horse you buy. If the seller doesn't have what you're looking for or it doesn't feel 'right' - move on. There are many sellers out there and most are going to be willing to work with you. You'll find a seller that has the horse you're looking for. Don't give up and best of luck on your search!

Thank you Lori! I really appreciate the encouragement... It's good to know someone feels I have a right to look for what I want... Thank you!!! It sure knocked the wind out of my sails.. I'm one that can take critism. It might sting a bit, but I can take, then, improve my outlook and learn from it...but this was just a slam and I truly feel unwarranted and just plain wrong! Thing is; I think she has what I was looking for but I would NEVER deal with this lady....never! It bothers me the most that it bothers me. It isn't fun to be wrongly accused by someone you don't know, it's like what gives her the right ???...all I did was asked for a picture and if the gelding was driving. Her ad was very nonspecific and no picture....she sent me info on two others she had available, that did not meet my search list, then got furious I wasn't interested in either of the two she sent me info on... She's right about one thing... Life is TOO short!!! I guess I needed a little more venting
default_smile.png
... hope I'm done now!!!... I think I'll give the search a vacation and wait and see.... pushing my goals back a year is more and more appealing!
default_smile.png
Thanks again!

Christie

Last edited by a moderator:
Christie, it sounds like this woman has issues of her own going on right now and was probably "venting" when she chewed you out! I'm sorry you ended up being her target but try not to let it bother you. There are too many other good sellers out there who know better than to screw their horses out of a good potential home by being rude.

Leia

I had problems too when I was looking for my mini. I had a lead from my vet on a person who has minis that drive and was an experienced breeder and also had many driving shows under his belt. I made an appointment to go see what he had. Well I was told once I got there that this mini was the only mini I would be able to drive since I was new to driving. If I purchased another mini I would always have to have someone with me while driving. I did not like the looks of the mini but drove him anyway. I could hae fallen out of the cart and the mini would have gone to the man owing him at the time. I walked away from that mini and explained to my husband that I could and would find a mini that listened to me and that I liked and connected with. I found Lance a few months later and have him since Oct. I drive him on my own in a barn full of large horses where no one knows how to drive. So do not let one person get you down. Keep looking for what you want and that mini will be out there for you.

Thank you Leia and Nancy... I'm relaxing.. feeling better! The encouragement is very much appreciated and was needed!
default_smile.png

Christie I'm so sorry to hear of your experience in trying to buy a suitable mini mare. I have to admit I've been met with a few folks who are less than pleasant to deal with via emails when inquiring on driving minis for sale. I tend to ask a lot of questions, probably because I've owned a few horses in my life and have some physical issues so getting a "feel" for a particular horse upfront is important to me. I live in an area in northern California where mini drivers are few and far between and good driving instruction is even farther away so I'm wavering on which direction I want to go. I really wanted to give driving a try especially with my new knee replacement doing so well but I'm worried that I won't have much support or quality instruction when I need it most starting out and that's bringing the excitement and enthusiasm for trying a new discipline down for me. I had found a really nice B sized gelding recently that I like very much but I don't know that I can do right by him as his owner prefers him in a show home and though I'd love to show that's a ways down the road for me too. I have an empty stall and money to spend and not sure of the direction I need to go.

My best wishes to you on finding what you want, at least you know what you want so don't give up!

I've been toying with the idea of moving to Northern California for awhile now...sounds like maybe I've got some new friends waiting if I try it!
default_wink.png

Leia

Leia please do move to our part of California!!! I know that Becky who posts on here is near my area and I sure could use as much moral support as possible if I get the driving gelding I'm looking at
default_yes.gif

Grace67 said:
Leia please do move to our part of California!!! I know that Becky who posts on here is near my area and I sure could use as much moral support as possible if I get the driving gelding I'm looking at
default_yes.gif
Either of you two got two or three spare stalls?? Boarding is hard to find around there!

Leia

Leia......I think you visited Mendocino County recently.....which is pretty close to us. Would be great to have some support in our "neck of the woods."

Christie, that's sad. Good buyers are hard to find, I'd be estatic if someone emailed specific questions on the ones I have for sale, unlike the email I got yesterday: "Where is it located?" IT???? My filly is not an IT! Not to mention, my town WAS in the ad! I never even replied.

@ Grace67... I do feel your struggle in this search, you do need to hang on and keep searching. At least I have other driving options here at home. I have a couple little ones, that I drive on the flat/track ( we live in steep up and down terrain) and the grandkids love them, well I do too! I'm not a petite person, so I'm wanting that sensible, natural quiet minded, larger B mini or small pony for more distance, some trail and eventually would like to do some local driving events/outings and ADS events. The little A minis drive great and I have a older solid driving little mini that he thinks, he could take me to the ends of the earth but I won't work him as hard as he thinks he can. I wish we lived closer I would let you borrow him for a bit. He's a very good teacher. I also have a very zippy Shetland( gelding Modern lines/grade pony) that drives great, but does best in arena type driving. Not a beginners pony. OR I'm sure he would do well in Marathon driving, something challenging for him, but that's not the direction I want to go. I'm getting past wanting the pony full zeal, age and health does that. I'm looking to home him. He was in another driving home for almost 2 years, then came back to us. For whatever reasons, I know it was a great home, but he has come home with pasturing issues and just isn't safe with the smaller equine. I'm not wanting to add pastures and separations. We had them years ago but have been making everything simple where we can...but saying that if the perfect home doesn't come we will do what we need to do. He was born on our farm, he's our baby, we'll keep him and the little ones safe. They're ours and it's our commitment.

I also mentioned to this current seller that I have some health consideration ( the reason I needed most of the ground work done and the natural quiet minded pony, not hot ( she said my comment "hot" was confussing, she didn't know what I meant by that- really?), that really set her off. She seems to think if someone has health considerations they need to concentrate on themself and they don't need horses. Ok, since when should we let health consideration rob us of all our interests and joy! That adds to depression, gotta live and gotta find fun! Why not work with the abilities and around the disabilities. ...right?
default_smile.png
oooppss.. I found a little more venting! LOL I'm a good one to tell you not to give up....but keep on looking!
default_smile.png

Christie said:
The little A minis drive great and I have a older solid driving little mini that he thinks, he could take me to the ends of the earth but I won't work him as hard as he thinks he can.
You might be surprised- the ones with work ethic like that usually CAN take you to the ends of the earth and seem to be built like iron!! We always get after the big horse people for not giving our horses enough credit but it's important that we do as well.
default_smile.png
That said, a B mini is still probably a good idea for you and I admire the concern you show for your horses' welfare throughout your entire post. Kudos!
default_aktion033.gif

Christie said:
...she said my comment "hot" was confusing, she didn't know what I meant by that- really?...
Yep....this woman is an idiot. Definitely her issues and not yours on this incident!

Becky Horat said:
Leia......I think you visited Mendocino County recently.....which is pretty close to us. Would be great to have some support in our "neck of the woods."
Send me a message on Facebook (my LB PM box is full) if you know of somewhere to keep the horses. Seriously, there are NO ads on Craigslist for boarding in that area!

Dontworrybeappy said:
Hey, you know where I live - I'd find stalls for Kody & Turbo!
Aw, you're sweet Karen! I'd love to be near you and your awesome horses if it weren't for the fact that you live in Norco! LOL. I don't think constant heat, dust, and Santa Ana winds would suit me any better than the constant rain up here does.
default_wink.png
Thank you though.
default_cheekkiss.gif

Leia

Last edited by a moderator:
My goal when I first started breeding was to raise driving horses because that is my passion. I'planned to breed horses that would make good driving prospects, raise them, train them and sell them as finished or well started. It costs money to breed, raise and train a horse but no one seems to be willing to pay for all that. I don't think anyone can afford to lose substantial amounts of money on horses that they sell. I have been reduced to selling unfinished foals only to see some of them ruined by poor handling. My main reason for deciding to get out of breeding. If you buy a foal you can expect to put the same amount of time and money into them to end up with a finished horse.

I agree...it is hard to find the well broke ones.

When I started looking (I was also new to miniatures), I emailed every member of our provincial miniature club, told them what I was looking for (something either broke or at least well started that would be suitable for combined driving). Got some great leads, including some that I didn't think I'd be interested in but went and looked at everything anyways and am sure glad I did!

The horse I ended up buying was a lucky find. At the time, he wasn't something I even thought I wanted! I'd arrived at the breeder's place to look at prospects and green started horses. After visiting for awhile, they thought I might be a good fit for Rowdy and pulled him out to show me. He was a stallion, little smaller than I thought I wanted (32"), had lots of show experience but hadn't been hardly touched in at least a year, and he wasn't advertised for sale. They pulled him out of his pen, scruffy & hairy, marched him through a paddock of mares & foals (he squealed once when a mare came after him with ears pinned). They harnessed & hooked him without hesitation and drove off. Within 30 seconds he blew out, went right to work, and showed off his lovely floating 'big-horse' movement (I call him my mini-morgan) which I had yet to see in a mini. I was sold. They agreed to geld him. Now Rowdy has turned into everything I had wished for and then some.

So in this market, don't discount going to look at something just because it's not the right colour, size, sex or experience because you never know where the opportunity may take you!

Well I believe my search is over! I just purchased a very lovely, experienced driving/show gelding who is pretty to boot and he'll be arriving to me around June 2. I'm so excited and nervous and can't wait to get him home.

congratulations. I am sure that you will have lots of fun driving him. Keep us updated

Back