Why Do You Breed or Why Have You Stopped?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We used to breed 2 or 3 a year for several years. We chose to stop for several reasons. We lost a filly and saw how much pain we imposed on the mare with our decision to beed her. We were so lucky to have saved the mare. We sold a filly to someone that fooled us and we found out that they were not treating her very nicely so we bought her back . This was all before the marked tanked so that was not a reason. We also chose to keep our mares on camera and watch them 24 7 and that was very tiring and we could not go anywhere. We are all about performance , and it is 3 years until you can show your new baby in performance . Some people buy the cute little foal and get bored with them before they can jump or drive.

There are so many people out there that are breeding very nice foals and have done all the research. If I need a foal fix I can buy one of theirs. In the mean time we train ours to do all things performance, and have a ball doing it.

I don't regret the foals we have had but we just don't need to have any more.

I stopped breeding in 2007 and I REALLY MISS THE BABIES.Started in 1988 and bred something every year.I can't remember a year when I didn't lose at least 1 baby and sometimes a mare.More than my share of dwarfs.My goal was to have 1 of my home bred horses go Champion of Champions and he went to the AMHR Nationals.Didn't go Top 10 but close.I was pleased.Sold some gave away many to people who have shown and done very well with my farm name on their horses.Many are close by so I get to visit them or see them at shows.Made some incredible friends that I would not have if I didn't breed Minis.Decided to stop-just worn out from stress of foaling and selling REALLY nice horses to owners who did STUPID stuff with them which resulted in death of horses.Glad and Sad to be no longer breeding.I love babies and miss seeing them running around in the pasture playing tag and taking their naps together in a bunch on a hot summer day.

When we first bought our horses in 2009, the idea of breeding was in the back of my husband's mind. I wasn't sure and told him that it was something we would do early on at least. Then, as I educated myself, I came to the strong conclusion that breeding is definitely not something I think I'll ever be ready to handle. The loss of a foal or mare, despite my best efforts would emotionally scar me in ways I just don't need in my life. The final straw was when I read about a foalectomy procedure that was required at one member's place when a foal got stuck during delivery. Once I understand what that entailed, I made my husband read about it. Then I asked him if he thought I'd ever be ready for that kind of outcome. He agreed that while it was not likely to happen, the fact that it *could* happen is something I couldn't live with.

Ask me again in another 5 years and my answer might be different. I won't ever say "never" but it's highly unlikely.

Then there's the whole idea of selling off my babies! How on earth could I set a foal EVER leave? LOL! That's one reason I've never breed dogs...my other animal passion. I just knew that handing over my babies would be too hard and nearly impossible. I simply could not ever see myself being business savy enough to be able to say goodbye. I've learned that my herd of 4 is just the right number for me, for now.

With that in mind, I also realize that as I'm in my late 40's now, taking on a foal or yearling at this stage would mean a possiblity of having to care for the foal into my 70's. I know it can be done, but I don't want to take on so much that should things not go so well for me as I age, that I'd be facing having to give up my beloved animals when they themselves are in their golden years.

Lastly, while I love my horses to pieces, I recognize they aren't tip top quality animals and there are many out there to choose from if I should ever want to add on.

This is a very interesting topic. I began my journey into miniature horses in 1998, with a driving gelding. Later I purchased a filly and later a colt. They were the absolute best in my price range. It was a dream of mine to breed for myself. The biggest problem with this mentality is that you cannot keep everything and in this day and age you can't sell either. Money never registered on the Richter scale, however, I did not believe there would be great difficulty selling if need be. Well I was wrong. There is still interest, just not necessarily serious interest, since the market is so flooded. Buyers can shop around. Now I do not mean to be sour grapes, this has just been my observation. My first foal was born in 2002, and I have produced five minis over the course of 14 years in minis. Including a second generation colt. I have kept all but two of my own, and we currently own 7 minis. A wonderful number. After all of the animals that have been in and out of my life, the minis remain steadfastly my favorite! I was a teenager when I got Checkers, and now I'm a 30 year old wife and mother of two with a small herd. My boys have seen two births and have walked around the mares barefoot and climb on and off their backs while they graze loose in the pasture. In spite of all of the struggles with horses I've experienced over the years, I would not change a thing. No foals had been planned for the future, but try and tell God your plans with a straight face.. He will teach you never say never ;)

We used to breed 3-6 mares a year but last year we only had two born and this year, we have one foal that will be born. I am not sure we will breed any this year. Our primary reason for not breeding is the difficulty of finding good homes for the horses we have. We don't like to go above a certain number. Admittedly, the sales issue I have is perhaps self imposed. I don't view my horses as a commodity, and I interview and approve potentials buyers. Some people are offended by that or not interested in moving forward with me. It's not a price issue so much, I will work with people on price as my top priority is to try and place them in situations where I can sleep at night and be relatively assured they will be treated well. (That's not to say bad things won't happen, but I try...). Had some success with that approach including a mare we sold to a friend who raises shires and who commented that he had "finally found the dog he always wanted." She lives a wonderful life and accompanies him on his hunting trips out west.

There are so many horror stories out there that I can't in good conscience continue to contribute to the over-population problem. I would love to be breeding more of our mares. We have done limited but targeted purchase over the years of some mares and a stud from farms we respect and have been very pleased with the quality of our babies. We obtained our first halter AMHA belt buckle last year and had multiple halter AMHA Honor Roll and AMHR All star awards with limited showing (3 shows). Frankly, we will either need to start showing seniors or stop showing halter at all, so clearly my approach isn't necessarily beneficial to us. But, I sleep at night....

(Disclaimer, this is my approach and I am not criticizing those who don't share my view. It's what works for me.....)

The biggest problem with this mentality is that you cannot keep everything and in this day and age you can't sell either. Money never registered on the Richter scale, however, I did not believe there would be great difficulty selling if need be. Well I was wrong. There is still interest, just not necessarily serious interest, since the market is so flooded.
I so agree with this statement.

Good topic! I'm enjoying the stories so I guess I'll share.

I've been breeding horses most of my life -- Arabians, then Peruvian Pasos, then after a bad riding accident (something I thought could never happen) the Appaloosa Minitures and Falabellas. The miniatures and Falabellas caught my heart, and I had up to 45 at one time -- breeding for 10-12 foals a year. Then the market began "tanking" so the breeding program was cut way back. Went through a couple of years only breeding for 1 or 2, and now the past couple of years, I've sold off most of my herd, and am down to 10. I still love my stallions and have an "equal" mix of stallions to mares, but 3 of the girls are in their 20's and "retired". Still would like to sell 3 young Falabella stallions, and get down to 7 just "keepers". Spotty, of course will never leave here, and maybe one year I'll breed for another "keeper" from him -- but we'll see.

I loved breeding and showing -- although I used trainers, as I couldn't leave here to show since it was "just me" taking care of everyone. And I had a good market for my babies, but when the economy crashed, my "feeder" business crashed, and my heart and body began letting me know it was "there" -- the time had come to face facts.

I get my "baby-fix" now by doing the Mare/Foal forum getting babies safely to the ground, and enjoy the "work" there. My LOVE has always been Pedigree research, and I've collected large albums of both the American minis and the Falabellas (have over 2700 pure Falabella pedigrees in my database.) So, even though I may not breed anymore, I still love the horses and love the research, so I'm content.

Last edited:
Just want to say Diane how awesome you are over on the Mare/Foal board and how wonderful and welcoming all of the Nutty Nursery Nannies are to everyone. Just such a wonderful place to hang out and the advice and encouragement from all of you has been such a help to me.

Thank you for your very kind words!! I just LOVE it there, and meeting everyone and helping to get these babies safely on the ground is what it's all about for me!

Got into this with a stallion (about 8 yrs ago) and bred him to outside mares which was more profitable (although not enough to take care of the horse expense) than breeding for sale. Then as market fell, bred my own mare for myself. She had a stillborn and we had already gelded our National Champ stallion. So no more breeding here. I just enjoy showing especially with my grandaughter.

Just wanted to hop in and say this is extremely interesting to read. I love learning about what's affecting the breeders now and also why they began breeding. I have always wanted to breed a foal just once to have something I can start from the very beginning and make sure I know everything that goes into the horse to make it who it is. I've been able to watch friend's foals grow up but it's not the same. I'd only breed if I had an absolutely perfect mare and could breed to an equally amazing stallion. I'd be more likely to buy a weanling though, especially from an amazing breeder like you guys.

but when the economy crashed, my "feeder" business crashed, and my heart and body began letting me know it was "there" -- the time had come to face facts.
This hit home. Sometimes the earlier you start working hard at something, the earlier you crash and burn.

I also wanted to add that my goal was to breed for myself, but to also do it to the best of my abilities. (Not to breed pet type.) It is still something I think about seriously. Sometimes you still get pet quality in spite of your best efforts, that is why you start out breeding the best you possibly can. As of yet, we have also not done business with auctions. It's just my opinion that it also adds to the overproduction of the breed. Again, just my personal opinion. Conformation and movement are important. Growing up the second generation of a dog show family, who also owned horses and livestock, proper conformation and good movement were driven home. I like to think of a small operation like fine and rare wine, best produced in small batches.

We started breeding our first two mares over 20 years ago and things mushroomed as we started showing and wanted to "improve" the breed. Up until the last few years when the economy tanked we were foaling between 10 to 15 mares a year.

This year we're expecting 4 foals and if it was totally up to me it would be zero. Long story.

I will say that our experiences with the minis and Arenosa ponies has been full and rewarding...a huge addition to our lives.

Latest posts

Back