Why Do I Keep Miniature Horses????

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I get asked this all the time, especially since I am competitive with my big guy....but my response is usually...."why do you have kids" :lol:
default_rolleyes.gif
:

My first mini mare I got was my second horse (my first was a donkey), because my mother was terrified of the big horses, couldn't afford riding lessons for me, and was worried that they were going to get stuck with a big horse once I 'found better things to do'. (I was 12 when they bought Ginger for me)

Now I'm up to 7 minis and my beloved big guy :bgrin . I am like most of you....the horses don't judge me....I have had many people when I was in school judge me because I was a 'horse freak' and they just didn't understand it. So I had more fun with my horses then them
default_wink.png
: what's it to them? lol But they are my kids and my life and that will never change.

~kathryn

My story and reasons are prob. as emotional and heartfelt as all yours are.

Before i got into the Miniatures, i did barrels with the big horses but i never really could connect with a big horse. I rode them but i never really fell head of heals in love with the ones we leased. Before i got Coco (my first mini), i was not the person i am today. I was a typical 15yr old girl and i dont think i ever did one thing right, i basically didnt have a care in the world ...to say the least.

Then i got Coco and to tell you the truth, if you told me that 3yrs later i would be showing and spending my life in the barn, i would have told you to go get a grip. But after i got Coco, he just really interested me. The breed in general just interested me. Now i was cleaning stalls, training and spending my time with him instead of out getting in trouble with friends and doing stuff i really should not have been doing.

I love that little horse with all my heart today because i know i would be in some serious trouble right now if i had not got him. I remember looking back at the day we went to the sale ..that morning i was thinking about not going, its scary to know that if i didnt go that my life would still be the way it is. That day and that horse changed my life.

Now today i've also fallen in love with the Shetland breed and my priorities are 100% on the horse's. But i keep the Miniature Horses and Shetlands because there so special to me. I could watch them out in the pasture just standing there and get tears in my eyes. There is nothing that could compare to that, nor the feeling of showing. I cant come close to explaining what it felt like to walk out of that show ring with a Reserve Champion ribbon with Royal, knowing that was my hard work and his ..that i he was a champion and he was mine.

What, to me, sets this breed apart from all other big breeds is when you think of QH's or Arabs ...what the first thing you think of? Ridding ..right? To me that was all big horses were, ridding. I had no connection with them. Now think of Mini's ...there is something that you get to connect with and its not just what they do, its what they are. That is what sets Mini's apart from big horses. Big horses are just ridding, Mini's are much much more.

I remember back when i was just starting with the Mini's ..i didnt take it serious. I loved it but i didnt take it serious. Over the last 5 or 6 months i've really just stepped it up a level or two bc this is what i want to do, i'm still just starting out but i think that i've improved drastically over these past few months now that i have started showing.

Okay, i think i've done enough blabbing for the day.

default_smile.png

Leeana H.

i wish people who don't understand why horses are so important to us all, could read some of these posts......it may give them a little more patienc with us.

my husband can't understand it at all, and makes smart alec comments about me, talking about horses all the time.......and alot of the time makes me feel guilty for wanting to spend time outside with the horses,i try to explain....each to there own, but he thinks i'm mad!!!!!!..... so any unmarried women out there if you want to make life more pleasurable, don't consider a man who is non- horsey... or at least have a passion for something too, so they can understand you and your passion...

default_wacko.png
:

irishmini, I know how you feel. I no longer have a husband but my partner although not against the horses thought that I spent a lot of time with them when I could be doing "other things". Now he has three of his own and it is him that has time to spend down the field with the horses while I am working and it makes me jealous of the precious time he gets with his that I can't always get with mine. Find one for him and get him addicted :aktion033:

Latest posts

Back