WHY AMHA Vs AMHR ( Reality)

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Whitestar

Reaction score
So many people do not realize that AMHA & AMHR are like Ford & Chevy. They are two seperate brands, yes they both make cars, but in reality they are in competition with each other. AMHA & AMHR are both registries, in competition with each other to earn money through registration & shows. They can have a cordial relationship between the two, kinda the "wave at your neighbor but dont go over for coffee type relationship" but they will never be buddies. They have their own rules & regulations they dont have to follow each others leads. As long as there are two registries they will be able to have different rules & give you a choice as to which one suits your needs the best. When people start wanting one registry only, you need to really think about it. With just one registry, there is one set of rules, one set of fees, one type of show & YOU have to conform to its or you are out. So think about the fact that there are two to your benefit. I bet AMHA folks get tired of hearing...well at AMHR they do this, & vise-versa. Some of their rules are near others far away from each other. Remember too that competition between the two registries keep they healthy & strong & working hard to get your business.

As far as closing the registry. Do you want miniature horses to be a breed or a height breed? Does anything under 34 or 38 become a miniature horse no matter what its parentage? How many times have you heard "I got one them miniature horses just like this by breeding my quarter horse & some pony & didnt have to pay big dollar" when you run into someone looking to "buy". If you start closing the gene pool, then you can really say that registered horses are only from breeding other qualified horses together instead of finding one that fits the "rules" & paying for the papers to prove that it fits the rules. The registry can re-open years down the line if it shows there is a need. As far as geldings, although there are tons of unregistered geldings out there that would be or are excellent show candidates, every time one is hardshipped, that makes less demand for all those that are produced through breeding of registered horses. Of all the AMHA/AMHR horses bred each year, there has got to demand for show geldings to help with all the boys born that are not stallion quality. If you can hardship one in, it cuts down on the ones already available with papers. If you want to show, you have to buy one already with papers which brings the value of those colts/geldings up. I know folks say they cant afford to buy one with papers, but frankly the cost of the hardshipping alone will pay for a good quality miniature with papers. There are always open shows for the unregistered ones.

Just a thought, hope other people will share their opinions on the subject.

Very true. My sentiments exactly.
default_aktion033.gif

Wow great post.

I to get sick of hearing it over and over and over again. We show both but mainly AMHA. All of our horses are registered both. Let me tell you I dont go on rant about the stupid things the AMHR does and they do, and so does the AMHA. Why? They are registry if I want it changed get involved. If not dont bi*** about it and follow the rules, period.

How cool was it that the AMHA broadcasted their meeting??? Instead of positive things said nothing but negative things.

I think both clubs over all do a very good job and Im for one and glad to be a part of both.

I, too, agree wholeheartedly!
default_smile.png

These are our registries. We have to agree to disagree. There will always be these two miniature horse registries, I have no doubt. I, too, am a member of both. Both have their good and bad points but it benefits me, as a breeder, owner and trainer to support both entities.

If I want something changed, I have to get involved.

And yes, how great was that? The AMHA meeting actually broadcast live! It was the next best thing to being there! What a positive step forward for our members!
default_smile.png

I also want to reiterate something that was discussed at the AMHA meeting. The importance of doing paperwork, mainly registrations and transfers! This can apply to both AMHA and AMHR. Horses are lost simply because paperwork is not done. The money coming in from these basic things are what keeps our registries afloat. So please, people, do your paperwork!!! For both our horses and our registries.
default_biggrin.png

How cool was it that the AMHA broadcasted their meeting??? Instead of positive things said nothing but negative things.
That is not true...there is an entirely separate thread here where people were making positive comments on the fact that AMHA did a live webcast.
default_yes.gif
So yes, positive things can be, and are addressed, when people feel it is a positive change. BUT, what might be positive for one person, does not make it positive to all.

Very well said. I have been following all these threads with interest. It is a waste of time to argue about which registry is better, we are fortunate to have a choice. My horses are double registered and I have shown at both AMHA and AMHR shows locally and have been to both National shows several times, there are friendly people and snobby people at both. It is probably true that there are more AMHA people that could be called wealthy but that does not mean they are snobs, they just have more money
default_rolleyes.gif
Do AMHA and AMHR horses look different ? as everyone knows there are pure Shetlands being shown in AMHR and yes many of them do look different despite the fact that minis have a lot, but not all, Shetland blood. Is this a good thing ? many people have complained that they cannot compete with the more typical mini looking horses against ultra refined Shetlands, who have had other breeds added in over the years to get that look and they are still considered a breed even though they have height restrictions and different types. AMHR allows them to show as minis, that is the rule, so you can go try to change it, good luck, or learn to live with it and possibly add some of those small Shetlands to your breeding stock. Life is not fair so we have to learn to adjust and we have a choice where to show our horses.

As a breeder I can see why they are closing the registry to try to work on minis becoming a breed rather than just a height registry. When I first got into minis I went out and bought registered horses and kept upgrading to better horses when I could, of course I would prefer that people came to me and bought a registered horse rather than pick something up cheap at a sale or out of a back yard, go through a lot of aggravation and expense to hardship it and still maybe not have as good an animal as they could buy from a reputable breeder. As far as measuring it would have been better to pass the top of the withers, grandfather current horses and work on getting them under 34" if that is what the registry truly wants. You can breed two small minis now and still get an over horse because there are so many bigger horses in the backgrounds that will crop out once in awhile.

I have shown dogs, cattle and sheep over the years and believe me the people who are willing to cheat to win are out there in every single breed that has shows and it is very hard if not impossible to stop, but very aggravating. In cattle they have gone to x-raying animals to prove age as bigger is better there and people lie about when the animal was born and inject things into their udders to make them look perfect.

I have shown dogs, cattle and sheep over the years and believe me the people who are willing to cheat to win are out there in every single breed that has shows and it is very hard if not impossible to stop, but very aggravating. In cattle they have gone to x-raying animals to prove age as bigger is better there and people lie about when the animal was born and inject things into their udders to make them look perfect.
default_new_shocked.gif
WHAT??!! O M G !!! You have got to be joking! I cannot believe the things that people will do to WIN, and the things that people have to do to try to keep people HONEST! What ever happened to a person's self integrity??!!
default_no.gif

As a breeder I can see why they are closing the registry to try to work on minis becoming a breed rather than just a height registry.
If this is the reason for closing the registry I am all for it.

I hope that AMHR horses that meet the height requirement can still be transfered into AMHA.

Or does closed mean ONLY AMHA both sire and dam will be allowed?

I hope that AMHR horses that meet the height requirement can still be transfered into AMHA.

Or does closed mean ONLY AMHA both sire and dam will be allowed?
Yes, closed means closed...no more horses from anywhere other than already reg'd AMHA parents will be allowed!

Whitestar
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif
VERY well spoken and I agree with you. Both organizations are good! Both organizations provide for the needs and wants of their members (if we take the time to make our needs and wants known). But each organization is DIFFERENT and this is good! How would it benefit any of us if both organizations were the same?

WHAT??!! O M G !!! You have got to be joking! I cannot believe the things that people will do to WIN, and the things that people have to do to try to keep people HONEST! What ever happened to a person's self integrity??!!
Mona, I sure agree with you also. To me there is just nothing more satisfying than to take an ALL NATURAL horse into the ring (in the height class he actually should be in) and have him do well! I know that horse is GOOD and I know he/she has the genetics to pass on his exceptional qualities rather than being a 'medically altered' individual who is not going to be able to pass on the qualities which made him a winner.

Charlotte

Latest posts

Back