Who is Escaping the Cold This Winter?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt73

Reaction score
With these frigid temperatures lately I can't help daydreaming daily about my impending vacation. Kev and I are off to Puerto Vallarta at the end of February. I'm going for two weeks and Kev is coming the second week. My best friends are celebrating their 25th year anniversary! They've rented a stunning 5000 sq. ft. villa there and have invited their friends and family (at different times) to come and relax and party it up
default_biggrin.png
I can't wait!!!! I'm just not sure how I'm going to handle being away from the animals for that long...
default_unsure.png

So...do you have any plans to escape the winter in 2010?

nope....not me...stuck in the frigid cold for another winter.

The owners of the barn I work/board at are in Puerto Vallarta right now....I emailed them to say enjoy the sun & warmth while they can! LOL

I went south once a few years ago now....but I have too many other things to spend my $$$$ on at the moment (and too many dogs that I don't trust leaving with people at the moment). And though, yes I enjoyed the warmth, there are a few other places I'd travel to first....

but I do still envy those that are able to get away from this!!!!

Hope you have a great time Matt!!!

~kathryn

It was 45* today... granted it was pouring rain but I am not complaining. Think the winter here is a lot warmer than normal for this area. Not that I can afford to go anywhere.

Last edited by a moderator:
We're in the upper 60's in sunny Southern California! Woo hoo!!!

Liz R.

Nope. We are stuck here for who knows how long. I did have a fall vacation in October. My first vacation in 18 years.

I guess I'm crazy. Going to Alaska next week for a Grandson's wedding, and staying a month. Leaving sunny Arizona which is in the high 60's to Cooper Landing on the Kenai which is in the 30's.

What we do for out Kids!!!
default_rolleyes.gif

Matt, have a wonderful warm time in Mexico take in some sun for the rest of us!!!

sounds like a wonderful two weeks! very nice! Send pictures!

I'm curious - how does one get away - and for a week or more? Who cares for the farm and horses during a vacation?

I have had my share of fun times away years ago - but the last two years with minis have been limited to weekend trips - and now that we're at 52 horses, and 23 foals arriving - I have kissed any future vacations goodbye - even weekend jaunts I'm afraid.

How does one do it? It's alittle more to it than pet sitting for our family or friends that know nothing about livestock. What do you all do for the farm and horses that are left behind?

Not complaining here. 45 and going down in the 20's tonight. A very welcome break from the heat a humidity in Florida.

I am going on a cruise with my daughter in March.
default_biggrin.png
I cannot wait. First vacation in a really long time. I am with White Tails as I don't have many people I trust to take care of the farm. I have had some wonderful people offer but just can't get past the worry. Hubby has agreed to handle it for me so I can go away. He knows I need a break. Thank God for him or I would never be able to go anywhere. I am so fussy and worry excessively unless he is with the horses. He knows them like I do so it helps me to relax when I am away. So I take care of everything while he vacations and snowmobiles in the winter and he handles it for me when I want to escape. That is what works for us.

I am also going to try really hard to get to The World show this year. We shall see what happens...........

Lucky YOU!

Can't believe it, but EIGHT years ago the three of us (Larry, our then 4 yr old, and I) managed to go on a cruise to the Caribbean and finished it up at Disney World in Florida........ It was our first and hopefully won't be our last cruise. It was also the first cruise that Sami Scheuring arranged for miniature horse people.......and she has been doing it every year since.

We were very lucky at that point in our lives to have the money for both the trip AND to have someone stay at our farm. We haven't really had another vacation like that since........

As for the COLD, I have to give thanks for our current weather.........We are being blessed with 40 to 50 degrees right now.

sounds like a wonderful two weeks! very nice! Send pictures!
I'm curious - how does one get away - and for a week or more? Who cares for the farm and horses during a vacation?

I have had my share of fun times away years ago - but the last two years with minis have been limited to weekend trips - and now that we're at 52 horses, and 23 foals arriving - I have kissed any future vacations goodbye - even weekend jaunts I'm afraid.

How does one do it? It's alittle more to it than pet sitting for our family or friends that know nothing about livestock. What do you all do for the farm and horses that are left behind?
LOL...I don't think I could do the vacation thing with 52 horses, either. WOW!

I'll take Barrick over to my friends' place for the two weeks. She has two other horses and I trust her completely. As for the three minis, we have an employee (Dan) that will look after them for a week (Kev will look after things the first week). I take my Shepherd, Riis, to a friends' kennel. The 2 Berners and the cats are looked after by Dan as well. I give him instructions and leave a bunch of emergency numbers and I forget about everything until I come back home
default_biggrin.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Back