Please Impart Some Wisdom!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lisa

Reaction score
I need the opinions on my car!

A bit of background: I'm almost 25, just moved into a new place that I have to pay rent - before that I was working at a farm that included room & board.

My car is making me very frustrated and upset. Over the last year I have had to deal with SO much crap about my cars. My mustang lasted about six months before it started giving me serious issues. It finally bought it in November after having spent about $500 on trying to fix it and I was without a car until I bought my neon in January. For the first two months I couldn’t drive it because it kept breaking down and was constantly in the mechanic’s. I put about $1000 into it during those two months, on top of the $200 that I purchased it for. Since then I’ve had to put at least another $500 into it to keep it running. It still needs a lot of work and is constantly giving me new, fun issues. Just last night, my lights decided to go on the fritz and my friend lent me his Escape because he didn’t want me to drive at night with lights that may or may not stay on. My car likes to randomly die and not start, until I ask someone if they can jump me and then it will magically start up again.

I’ve been left on the side of the road more times than I can count in the last year. I’m nervous every time I get into my car – or any car! Even brand new cars leave me wondering if I’m going to make it to where I’m going. My mechanic knows me by first name and voice; I don’t even have to say my last name to have him know who I am. I have his number memorized because I’ve had to call it so many times. He refunded me half the original cost of $900 for my mustang because he felt so bad about it. He rarely charges me more than he has to for labour, because I’m in there so much.

My visa is racked to $5000 thanks in very large part to my cars, as well as they took a good portion of my savings for my trip to Calgary next week. I have $25,000 in student loans, my regular bills, my rent, etc. I can’t afford to put more money into this car. I don’t have any extra money for a new car. I’m at a real crossroads here.

What I need an opinion on is whether to keep this car and keep stuffing money into it, try and get a loan for about $2000 and buy a new car, or lease a quite-new (but not brand new car) from my work. My work has a leasing department and they work with many dealers. Employees get very good deals on leasing cars (I think it’s 4.35%).

The pro of leasing are that I’ll have something RELIABLE. The cons, of course, are that I can’t really afford it. I will have to get a part time job somewhere and that will be how I pay for the car. If I don’t get a permanent position after the maternity contract that I am currently working is up in February (I've been here since January as a temp, but was hired for this contract last month), than I’m sure my rates will go up as I won’t be staff anymore and if I don’t get something permanent, than I won’t be able to pay the leasing fee. I’ll have to make sure that I can do maintenance on it, which is expensive. Yet, it will be RELIABLE!

If I keep this car, I’m putting a lot more money into it – which could be better spent. If I get a car for $2000, there’s no guarantee that it won’t do the same darn thing as the last two cars I’ve had. I will still likely have to get some sort of part time job to pay off the $2000 loan.

My mom is quite upset that I’m even considering getting a new car. She rightly told me that I can’t afford it, I’m already scraping by right now and I want to lock myself into something that requires a part time job just to keep afloat? She just had to get a new car because hers was toast - but she bought something for $1500 because that's all she could afford. I agree with what she’s saying, but dammit, I am so, so frustrated right now. I am tired of being left on the side of the road. I’m tired of being told that I’m going to have to put MORE money into a car that just isn’t worth it. I’m tired of not knowing how much gas I have in my car because the gas gauge doesn’t work. I’m tired of my car deciding to not start. I’m tired of being neurotic about whether or not I’ll actually get to where I’m going. I’m simply tired, tired, tired of it all! I’m ready to take my car and burn it in a sacrificial bonfire!

I feel for you. I remember those days well. Couldn't live with the car I had and couldn't live without it either. On that note, how badly do you need a car right now? I know the Lower mainland (Vancouver to all us northern types ;) ) has an excellent bus system. Can you get by taking skytrain or some other form of public transit for a while? Perhaps you could start saving for a better car and in not driving you will have all the money you normally would put into gas/insurance and maintenance to sock away. You might be surprised at how quickly you can afford a MUCH better car. There are ways to set up automatic savings from your cheque if you are inclined to spend everything you have. My advice is set up an appointment with your bank and discuss money management with them. Explain your situation and your goals and see if they have any advice. Most banks offer financial planning for free even when you only have a small amount of money. Thats all I can think of right now. Hang in there, it will get better.
default_smile.png

Thanks for the support!

No one else will understand this, but you will Reign - I can't not have a vehicle. I live at 0 Avenue and 232nd in the boonies of Langley, I work in Langley City near the #1. My mom lives in Mission, my sister in Port Coquitlam, my grandma in Maple Ridge and my best friend in New West. There is no way that I could have no car with everyone that I love spread out so much.

OK you just found Neon people, Dan has two of them. Both he rebuilt. He has a brand new engine in one of them but I can assure you, these are very good vehicles.

You are describing everything from a fuel problem to an electrical short.

Be very specific and list the year and exactly what it is doing and when he comes home I'll get his input for you. He'll try to help.

Doesn't your mechanic have one of those computer thingys that give you a read out of what is wrong with it???

ADDING:

Well sorry forget that Dan said it really needs to go on the computer because this can be anything from a fuel clog in the lines to crappy cables and vacum problems among a 100 other million things.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's a 1995. Yes, I am listing everything from a fuel problem to an electrical short. We've already put in a new fuel pump, fixed a gas leak, put a new alternator in. The key is stuck in the ignition, I have to have a toggle switch to turn the car on, the fuel gauge doesn't work, The fuel gauge and the speedometer randomly move in rapid succession from the bottom of the gauge to the top. The wheels shake, but my alignment is fine. My friend thinks that I need a new...front control arm? Which sounds very expensive. It makes awful sounds that I don't think are normal, but it could just be paranoia.

I'm not sure if he has one of those. I'm sure he does though. He's done everything he can, but every time I bring it to him it works fine and he can only go by what I'm describing and it can be a bunch of things. He's been a mechanic for about 30 years and is a good one. I hate neons! Or at least this one
default_sad.png
I want a new car! I want something that I don't have to worry about. I've owned four cars - the first I had for three years and it was the oldest. It needed a few things, but it was fairly reliable. The second lasted nine months and the transmission went. It's giving me a headache just thinking about everything that's been going wrong with my car. I'm tired of seeing my mechanic on a regular basis because yet ANOTHER thing has gone wrong.

Tell Dan if he wants to come up and get my car, he can take it
default_no.gif

Thanks for all the advice, however, this thread is now moot. I spoke to the manager of leasing again and found out that there is no way short of winning the lottery that I can get a new car. I'm going to have to suck it up with this car, or perhaps save $1000 and buy another bloody awful car.
default_sad.png

Well that really kinda sucks for you. My only suggestion is to talk to the banker about ways to save a bit faster. It really doesn't sound as if the car you have is going to last much longer anyway. What about a scooter? Any chance you could get by with one of those? They are dirt cheap to operate and insure and fairly inexpensive to buy. The biggest problem would be when it rains and winter but I for one wouldn't really want to do the freeway on one either. Wish I had some great wisdom to share or at least an ingenious idea that would solve the problem. I'd suggest a move but I know how hard it is to find a place down there that is affordable. If it is any consolation (I know it probably isn't ) most of us started out in the same position, time and better paying jobs helps but thats about all.

Lisa Dan is standing here now. His first neon had a lot of problems that he just had to go through one by one until it was fixed so he feels your pain. It did nickle and dime him to death at first.

Then he wrecked it completely to avoid running over a dog in the road so he had to start over with a shell of a body and do it all over again and that included a new engine he rebult also.

This time he is making it into a show car with a body kit and all that stuff. He doesn't drive it and keeps it under wraps.

He said you need a new gauge cluster (his did the same thing)

probably bearings or struts which is not unusual

and possibly you need that arm if the car is swaying. Hope this helps.

Please don't offer him another neon cause he will show up at your door!

Unfortunately, because of the proximity (and rain :p) of where I live, a scooter won't work for me. Neither will moving because I just moved into where I'm living last week and I love it!

Marty - Yeah, Dave said I likely need a gauge cluster and bearings when I talked to him a few minutes ago. He took a look at my car this afternoon. LOL! I'd love to meet Dan and I'd love to have that car taken off my hands - so please, please come and get it! ;)

I have a make shift solution going on now. I'm going to make due with my car right now, and me and Dave will look at auctions and such to find me something else for about $500-1000 and in the meantime, if I have to, I'll borrow his truck. I'm lucky to have such a great friend!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm glad you have found a solution that will help you manage until your financial situation is improved (happens with age I promise,and hard work of course ;) ) You ARE lucky to have a good friend like Dave but I believe we get what we deserve (in the friends department) so you must be worth being a good friend for.

Even when I suggested the scooter I was thinking about the coastal rains.lol. You would grow webs and show up to work looking like a drowned cat.
default_laugh.png

I would NEVER buy a NEON they are trouble waiting to happen.

That said, if you only paid $200 for it I am not surprised at what you got. It goes back to the saying you get what you pay for. Next time maybe take a mechanic with to look at it before buying?

Latest posts

Back